Mix Gone?

TMac disappears? Why? Because he's not on the ball as much since Harrison and Lampard have become effective attacking options? Totally disagree with that statement. Tommy is constantly moving and making smart runs off the ball. PV said it best when he said he's always running to the right spot. You need guys like that who are willing to makes runs all game even though they might not get the ball. TMac drags defenders with him with all of his off the ball movement, and it opens up passing lanes for Pirlo as well as space for our two best attackers, Villa and Harrison. Tommy also doesn't get enough credit for his defensive positioning. He doesn't make a lot of tackles or interceptions but he's constantly tracking back and closing guys down and turning them laterally or backwards. That's the reason he's playing consistently, because he's doing exactly what PV wants him to do.

It is for those exact same reasons that I also disagree with Kjbert's post that Mix is invisible when he plays. Mix also does a ton of the same type of hard work off the ball. Things that may not actually show up in a stat sheet but are necessary to win games. I really hope they don't sell Mix because we are only a Lamps or Pirlo injury away from realizing how much we would miss him and need him in the center of the park.
Totally agree with this, and would add that the exact same thing applies to Lampard as well. I've seen some crazy posts here where people say all he does is stand in front of the goal waiting for tip-ins. What he's really doing is always, constantly, all the time putting himself in the right place just ahead of time (as opposed to right place right time). He knows what will happen and puts himself where that will be. That's why he's one of the best in the world, even now at the tail end of his career.

I really don't understand a lot of the complaints about our midfielders. Pirlo, Lampard, Mix, McNamara, all four of them are *supposed* to be the second line, not the first line. Villa makes the flashy plays, sure, but that's his job. Our midfielders support the front line and supplement the back line. That's why they're in the middle. Their job is to work hard and set up our attackers (with the occasional attack of their own, of course).

Totally agree with this, and would add that the exact same thing applies to Lampard as well. I've seen some crazy posts here where people say all he does is stand in front of the goal waiting for tip-ins. What he's really doing is always, constantly, all the time putting himself in the right place just ahead of time (as opposed to right place right time). He knows what will happen and puts himself where that will be. That's why he's one of the best in the world, even now at the tail end of his career.

I really don't understand a lot of the complaints about our midfielders. Pirlo, Lampard, Mix, McNamara, all four of them are *supposed* to be the second line, not the first line. Villa makes the flashy plays, sure, but that's his job. Our midfielders support the front line and supplement the back line. That's why they're in the middle. Their job is to work hard and set up our attackers (with the occasional attack of their own, of course).
But the problem is that they don't do a good job of it often enough and we suck as a team because of it.

I've seen some crazy posts here where people say all he does is stand in front of the goal waiting for tip-ins. What he's really doing is always, constantly, all the time putting himself in the right place just ahead of time (as opposed to right place right time).

Exactly -- as if you could just stand in front of the goal, everyone would be a scorer. Almost every goal Diego Costa scores looks like he's picking up a garbage goal off of someone else's rebound. BUT HE KEEPS DOING IT!

The Mix to Columbus rumors are new to this transfer window.

Teams couldn't agree to terms just yet but it's real

The Mix to Columbus rumors are new to this transfer window.

Teams couldn't agree to terms just yet but it's real
Do you have a link to who was reporting it? curious to read up

Well, I realize it's only halfway through the season but we suck so much as a team that we're up near the top of the table.

Second place. Yeah, I guess you're right. We *do* suck.
Probably 6th or 7th overall if every team has played even amount of games. And a negative goal difference.

Probably 6th or 7th overall if every team has played even amount of games. And a negative goal difference.

This is actually an easy thing to, you know, look up. We are 2nd in the conference on points and 5th in Supporters' Shield. If you go to PPG, we are... 2nd in the conference and tied for 6th in Supporters' Shield.

Mix to Columbus is interesting... He's having a hard time getting starting minutes here, so he's going to leave for a team that (according to their website roster) currently has 14 midfielders? Is he going to beat out Higuaín/Finlay/Meram / Tchani / Trapp for a starting spot? I'd take a Mix for Finlay transfer, stick him on right wing. :p

Same guy that first reported Poku to Miami
I didn't think he actually gave a destination, just that he heard something was happening - did he followup his initial tweet with another?

edit - thanks S sbrylski for the posted tweets!

Reactions: sbrylski
Mix to Columbus is interesting... He's having a hard time getting starting minutes here, so he's going to leave for a team that (according to their website roster) currently has 14 midfielders? Is he going to beat out Higuaín/Finlay/Meram / Tchani / Trapp for a starting spot? I'd take a Mix for Finlay transfer, stick him on right wing. :p

Yeah, seems like a weird destination for him. I'm guessing talks broke down over salary.

I'm also guessing that our sudden realization that our "only" other CM is Frank Lampard is a negotiating leak. Columbus said no to our money offer and countered, and then we walked away saying we forgot to check our depth chart? Bullshit, we entered negotiations in the first place knowing what we have on the roster.

inb4 Poku was a CM - nah, he's been at wing his last 3-4 games, I don't think that affects the calculus much.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
If we don't move Mix this summer, he's moved after the season. Unless he re-negotatiates to a much lower salary. I would just rather move him this summer when we could get something back for him, then wait for his contract to run out and he just moves on with nothing in return.

Yeah, seems like a weird destination for him. I'm guessing talks broke down over salary.

I'm also guessing that our sudden realization that our "only" other CM is Frank Lampard is a negotiating leak reality check. Columbus said no to our money offer and countered, and then we walked away saying we forgot to check our depth chart read the Forums for a second opinion? Bullshit, we entered negotiations in the first place knowing what we have on the roster while forgetting that Lampard has had two injuries in the last year.

inb4 Poku was a CM - nah, he's been at wing his last 3-4 games, I don't think that affects the calculus much.
FIFY

I'm also guessing that our sudden realization that our "only" other CM is Frank Lampard is a negotiating leak. Columbus said no to our money offer and countered, and then we walked away saying we forgot to check our depth chart? Bullshit,
You're right, but, on the other hand, our FO has confounded us at times....

Reactions: Kjbert
If we don't move Mix this summer, he's moved after the season. Unless he re-negotatiates to a much lower salary. I would just rather move him this summer when we could get something back for him, then wait for his contract to run out and he just moves on with nothing in return.

Honestly I think we're stuck with him. I cant imagine anyone paying that salary, let alone a transfer fee. Maybe China, but he's no Obafemi.

Reactions: adam
Honestly I think we're stuck with him. I cant imagine anyone paying that salary, let alone a transfer fee. Maybe China, but he's no Obafemi.

I think we're stuck with most of his salary. But if we've made the decision to move on from Mix in the long term, maybe we are trying to pull off a Mix for Tchani trade or something, where we cover the difference in salary this year.

Who knows. A week ago I was expecting a quiet transfer window. Now I'm expecting some serious moves.

Last edited:
Maybe the Poku deal came together a lot quicker than we realize? Maybe the deal was a Mix to Columbus for Wil Trapp?

Then Miami comes in last week with an over the top offer and our guys pounced on it. Entirely possible. Happens in other sports - could happen here.