Mls 2007 Vs 2014

• Thread starter Nicholas Constantino
  • Start date
N

Nicholas Constantino

The first MLS game and first pro game I went to was NYRB against LA Galaxy in Aug of 2007.

It was an amazing game, and the Red Bulls won 5-4. Definitely a good game to see as my first live contest. I believe Beckham had all 3 of Galaxy's assists, although I could be remembering wrong.

The point of this thread is to ask about the progression of MLS since 2007.

Since then I have been to one other MLS game, Red Bulls against Union a few years ago. I've watched maybe 2 games since then on TV so I don't know much at all about the league.

The starting line ups for the two teams of the game I went to were

Los Angeles
Goalkeeper, Joe Cannon; defenders, Chris Klein, Ty Harden, Ante Jazic and Mike Randolph; midfielders, Landon Donovan, David Beckham (captain), Kevin Harmse and Kyle Martino; forwards, Carlos Pavon and Alan Gordon. Substitutes: Steve Cronin, Kyle Veris, Cobi Jones, Josh Tudela, Peter Vagenas, Edson Buddle and Gavin Glinton.

New York
Goalkeeper, Ronald Waterreus; defenders, Hunter Freeman, Jeff Parke, Seth Stammler and Chris Leitch; midfielders, Dane Richards, Clint Mathis, Joe Vide and Dave van den Bergh; forwards, Jozy Altidore and Juan Pablo Angel (captain). Substitutes: Jon Conway, Kevin Goldthwaite, Carlos Mendes, Claudio Reyna, Sinisa Ubiparipovic, Mike Magee and John Wolyniec.

Those look like two pretty solid teams to me, and I know people say that the MLS is growing each year, but 7 years on are there teams that are much better than these two?

Like I said, I haven't watched any of the league, but from what I've guessed is that teams aren't much better than these two.. Is it just the case of the worse teams being better then or what?

Edit- looking online I see NYRB got third in their conference and LA fourth that year, so I guess there were even better teams too.

Reactions: LostAnvil
The first MLS game and first pro game I went to was NYRB against LA Galaxy in Aug of 2007.

It was an amazing game, and the Red Bulls won 5-4. Definitely a good game to see as my first live contest. I believe Beckham had all 3 of Galaxy's assists, although I could be remembering wrong.

Since then I have been to one other MLS game, Red Bulls against Union a few years ago. I've watched maybe 2 games since then on TV so I don't know much at all about the league.

Los Angeles
Goalkeeper, Joe Cannon; defenders, Chris Klein, Ty Harden, Ante Jazic and Mike Randolph; midfielders, Landon Donovan, David Beckham (captain), Kevin Harmse and Kyle Martino; forwards, Carlos Pavon and Alan Gordon. Substitutes: Steve Cronin, Kyle Veris, Cobi Jones, Josh Tudela, Peter Vagenas, Edson Buddle and Gavin Glinton.

New York
Goalkeeper, Ronald Waterreus; defenders, Hunter Freeman, Jeff Parke, Seth Stammler and Chris Leitch; midfielders, Dane Richards, Clint Mathis, Joe Vide and Dave van den Bergh; forwards, Jozy Altidore and Juan Pablo Angel (captain). Substitutes: Jon Conway, Kevin Goldthwaite, Carlos Mendes, Claudio Reyna, Sinisa Ubiparipovic, Mike Magee and John Wolyniec.

Those look like two pretty solid teams to me, and I know people say that the MLS is growing each year, but 7 years on are there teams that are much better than these two?

Like I said, I haven't watched any of the league, but from what I've guessed is that teams aren't much better than these two.. Is it just the case of the worse teams being better then or what?

Edit- looking online I see NYRB got third in their conference and LA fourth that year, so I guess there were even better teams too.

I was at that game as well. Massive crowd. The difference between 2007 and 2014 was that I was interested then only for that game, and now I am actually a supporter since there is a team in the city.

That was the last, and only second game I went to for an MLS match ( I previously went to a metrostars game when tab ramos played - i was a kid)

From what Ive been reading and watching clips. Sounders are good, along with Real Salt Lake and Houston Dynamo. Seems like west coast teams are more competitive

Honestly, Portland and Seattle are pretty much in another league at this point. That support is unreal.

Maybe someday ManC will know what its like to sell out a stadium that big, too...
I doubt it. Man City can't even sell out a stadium smaller than the one in Seattle.

Reactions: BxLio91

Los Angeles

New York

Since 2007 we have seen the rise of several now prominent expansion teams. We have also seen the development of the MLS academies that have now transformed many MLS club rosters. Probably the 2 biggest events though are the growth of the rosters through CBAs and DPs and the establishment of many club-owned/controlled soccer specific stadiums. This latter event has allowed many MLS clubs to actually make a profit. Who knew!?

Since 2007 we have seen the rise of several now prominent expansion teams. We have also seen the development of the MLS academies that have now transformed many MLS club rosters. Probably the 2 biggest events though are the growth of the rosters through CBAs and DPs and the establishment of many club-owned/controlled soccer specific stadiums. This latter event has allowed many MLS clubs to actually make a profit. Who knew!?
Don't forget the USL-Pro reserve teams.

People that get pissed off that we aren't spending PL money yet need to remember all the infrastructure that we need to build for our league before there's any point in buying PL-level players...