MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

Apple has enough money to not have to worry one bit if this makes any money.

Rich people don't get rich by losing money. If they are losing money, they're going to bail.

Since they announced this, I've always thought MLS was going to come crawling back to their local networks before the end of the deal. I still think that's going to happen.

• Sad
Reactions: adam and JCMore
Apple has enough money to not have to worry one bit if this makes any money.
Nope. Dealing with these companies for a living I’ll tell you their department budgets are tightly tied to the stock price. Apple’s stock hasn’t crashed yet. But 1. if it does, & 2. And the MLS deal is bleeding cash, & 3. they have an opt out…. As of now 1 didn’t happen & we don’t know about 2&3.

Reactions: Gene
Rich people don't get rich by losing money. If they are losing money, they're going to bail.

Since they announced this, I've always thought MLS was going to come crawling back to their local networks before the end of the deal. I still think that's going to happen.

some local regional networks may not exist by then.

Nope. Dealing with these companies for a living I’ll tell you their department budgets are tightly tied to the stock price. Apple’s stock hasn’t crashed yet. But 1. if it does, & 2. And the MLS deal is bleeding cash, & 3. they have an opt out…. As of now 1 didn’t happen & we don’t know about 2&3.
Not disagreeing with either of these, but my thought is that they can lose money on this for years and not care, and the benefit for them even if they’re losing money is that they have sports on Apple TV, and an exclusive at that. I think they’ll be fine with investing a lot of time and money in this if it will help make them a legit sports destination, and get them into more households. Not saying they don’t care about losing money, just that they have very deep pockets and would be fine with it being a long game sort of investment.

Not disagreeing with either of these, but my thought is that they can lose money on this for years and not care, and the benefit for them even if they’re losing money is that they have sports on Apple TV, and an exclusive at that. I think they’ll be fine with investing a lot of time and money in this if it will help make them a legit sports destination, and get them into more households. Not saying they don’t care about losing money, just that they have very deep pockets and would be fine with it being a long game sort of investment.
Right, someone with deep pockets like Apple can look at this as a long-term investment, rather than something that needs to make money tomorrow.

Reactions: KevinJRogers

Agree with that -- but what's your definition of long-term? I think if it's not making money in 5 years, they're bailing. I do not think, if it's losing money in five years, Apple is going to stick with it. Especially if they are gaining other sports properties that are making money.

Agree with that -- but what's your definition of long-term? I think if it's not making money in 5 years, they're bailing. I do not think, if it's losing money in five years, Apple is going to stick with it. Especially if they are gaining other sports properties that are making money.

Apple is doing this to audition to the other leagues (NFL, NBA MLB) to try and show they can show games in good quality, produce good content, and get deals with them. MLS is the experiment, so i do expect them to try for at least the first few years.

Last edited:
They're not going back to the regionals. If they had failed miserably at launching production, maybe they would have, but now that they are doing fairly well production wise, it all comes down to the distribution.

With the exception of a small number of teams, local ratings were so low that we were buying time. There is little incentive to go back to that, especially considering how the industry landscape is changing.

In the unlikely event that we split with, or modify our deal with Apple, we would probably shift to another streaming platform(s) with perhaps more national tv partners.

Reactions: Revfugee
So I'm watching the Seattle v St Louis match and not a single mention of the shitty artificial surface with the NFL markings bleeding through on the field.

Reckon everything is ok in the world as long as the pitch is 75 yards wide. :eek:

/s

So I'm watching the Seattle v St Louis match and not a single mention of the shitty artificial surface with the NFL markings bleeding through on the field.

Reckon everything is ok in the world as long as the pitch is 75 yards wide. :eek:

/s
So I will say this in all lower cases but understand that it’s all in capital letters starting from the next sentence. Fuck the Red Bulls. Literally prematch talking points from Sasha and BWP was the two of them jerking off each other’s egos while discussing how small the pitch is at Yankee stadium by pulling up THEIR HIGHLIGHT REELS FROM THE RED BULL WEDDING. (Sorry I couldn’t help it) That was more than half a fucking decade ago. That made me roll my eyes into the back of my head. How fucking embarrassing to bring that up a long with the god damn pitch. We’ve been at this pitch for almost a decade. Anyone who still cares about the size of the pitch really cares way too much about size of things. Grow up and find a new fucking talking point. Especially people who work FOR the god damn league. Be unbiased.

So I will say this in all lower cases but understand that it’s all in capital letters starting from the next sentence. Fuck the Red Bulls. Literally prematch talking points from Sasha and BWP was the two of them jerking off each other’s egos while discussing how small the pitch is at Yankee stadium by pulling up THEIR HIGHLIGHT REELS FROM THE RED BULL WEDDING. (Sorry I couldn’t help it) That was more than half a fucking decade ago. That made me roll my eyes into the back of my head. How fucking embarrassing to bring that up a long with the god damn pitch. We’ve been at this pitch for almost a decade. Anyone who still cares about the size of the pitch really cares way too much about size of things. Grow up and find a new fucking talking point. Especially people who work FOR the god damn league. Be unbiased.

even the new apple announcers (don't know who they are) kept mentioning baseball stadium and the two types of grass and the size of the pitch. how many home games do we have to have on apple TV for them to get past these talking points? they seem to bring it up every home game like it's something new. for a casual fan, ok.. give it a mention and then follow it up with a SSS in 2027. DONE. MOVE ON.

so glad we get glenn and matty for home games.

/s
Apple/MLS is not going to mention anything to hurt their product.

First thing dWiebe says in wrap up of the NYCFC v. Atlanta game is "small field."
The astro grass surfaces are atrocious. How many synthetic "turf" fields are there in the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A...?

Wish so bad our new stadium field will be same dimensions just to piss off people. Just draw the lines small and have like 20 yards of grass all around for no reason except to make a bigger field to host international games lol

If the first talking point about any game at YS is “small field” then the first talking point about ANY game on turf (especially looking at you Revs and Atlanta) has to be “on a turf field”. Turf affects the game just as much as the size of the pitch.

But of course it will never be that way. I am so close to the point for NYCFC to keep the field in their new stadium the same size just to put a middle finger to the league.