MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

We've got BWP and Sasha Klejstan on the studio show, what should we do next-- hey how about a live Dax McCarty interview to complete the Red Bull vibe

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Don't forget Shep and Sasha in the wrap up show to make sure red bulls are properly represented through every apple tv broadcast. And when talking about NYCFC's game the only takeaway is they need a striker and a dig at playing at multiple home venues.

We've got BWP and Sasha Klejstan on the studio show, what should we do next-- hey how about a live Dax McCarty interview to complete the Red Bull vibe
They interviewed Dax because it was his 400th MLS game. There are complaints here about the RB presence on Apple TV every week. Dax left the Red Bulls seven years ago and spent most of his career on other teams. In fact the overlap between Dax on the Red Bulls and NYCFC existing was just 2 years and we're complaining bec ause he got an interview on the day of his 400th MLS game at Nashville? Klejstan spent 3 years of a 17 year career at RB. Ian Joy turned AppleTV down. We don't have recently retired NYCFC guys looking for a broadcast career in the US. It's just how it is.
Meanwhile the RB Apple TV guys are in our heads rent free in a way that shouldn't be the case when we have MLS Cup and they don't.

ETA: Not Dax's 400th MLS game, his 400th start. The nerve to give him a featured interview.

Last edited:
Just watched the wrap up show. Loved the Picture of Shep with Mick Jagger in the Cosmos locker room.
Again, All praises be to Nigel. That show would be practically unwatchable without him. Klejstan is walking Ambien.

Let's also remember that the MLS studio is in New York, not much of a surprise to see people with connections to the league, and willing to live/work in the NYC area have some connections to RB.

They interviewed Dax because it was his 400th MLS game. There are complaints here about the RB presence on Apple TV every week. Dax left the Red Bulls seven years ago and spent most of his career on other teams. In fact the overlap between Dax on the Red Bulls and NYCFC existing was just 2 years and we're complaining bec ause he got an interview on the day of his 400th MLS game at Nashville? Klejstan spent 3 years of a 17 year career at RB. Ian Joy turned AppleTV down. We don't have recently retired NYCFC guys looking for a broadcast career in the US. It's just how it is.
Meanwhile the RB Apple TV guys are in our heads rent free in a way that shouldn't be the case when we have MLS Cup and they don't.

ETA: Not Dax's 400th MLS game, his 400th start. The nerve to give him a featured interview.
It’s not just that it’s former RB guys getting air time. It’s that their conversations often focus very much on their time there to the detriment of other teams. This includes the chat with Dax (which I personally didn’t mind).

When the contribution of their RB-alumni crew to the NYCFC pre-game is to talk about the Red Wedding, that’s going to rankle people, and it should.

There's a space between denial and posting every week about cheap, canned performative nonsense whose only purpose is to get claps and outrage. It's sucks they chose to focus their bullshit on NYCFC but that doesn't mean I have to give them what they want.
Well I for one didn't give them shit. I got it for free as a T-Mobile customer :p

the whole league is doing this, which is weird to do this now? not at the start? or maybe do it when leagues cup starts ?

makes sense to do it now. leagues cup starts in what.. july? beginning of the season the quality is not great cause everyone is in pre-season and the broadcast is still working out the kinks. now they are more confident.. they have a better product to "show off". so give people some freebies and see if they can get them to subscribe for the rest of the season.

i agree with others though. Games need to be staggered throughout the weekend. have games at 1pm, 4pm, and 7pm on saturday and 2pm and 5pm on sunday. 2-3 games each time slot. people know soccer is happening and gives people more opportunities to tune in and follow the league and their team. hopefully they make these changes next year.

the whole league is doing this, which is weird to do this now? not at the start? or maybe do it when leagues cup starts ?

Probably a sign they have nowhere near the paid subscribers they were expecting. Which ... who could have possibly guessed that giving this to season-ticket holders for free would dramatically limit your paid subscribers.

Probably a sign they have nowhere near the paid subscribers they were expecting. Which ... who could have possibly guessed that giving this to season-ticket holders for free would dramatically limit your paid subscribers.

if they change that...im not sure if i even pay for a season pass. it will be radio broadcasts for the non free games lol.

i agree with others though. Games need to be staggered throughout the weekend. have games at 1pm, 4pm, and 7pm on saturday and 2pm and 5pm on sunday. 2-3 games each time slot. people know soccer is happening and gives people more opportunities to tune in and follow the league and their team. hopefully they make these changes next year.
Every indication is that the uniform time slots are being done for stadium attendance and the TV role is simply that having one partner and a subscription model allowed the league to do it. But there's a lot of anecdata suggesting that it is reducing TV viewing by a meaningful amount. Add me to the list for sure.
Of course it does not help that NYCFC is floundering in mediocrity, such that I don't know if I need to worry about the teams near the top or the teams on the bubble.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC