MLS - April 22 - Dallas (Home)

Gaby-Santi-Tallest Mango is a fire front three.
Richie deez needs to be on the field.
Can we please stop conceding goals when we have a multi goal lead.
Barraza had a great game but he oozes uncertainty in the back.
Nice crowd tonight in Flushing. Porchetta was closed, offset by the Hudson Whiskey cocktail stand.
3 home games, 7 points - acceptable. Four games now on the road, time to get a first W (and maybe more than one). Please let’s get that W in Harrison in a few weeks.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
61 degrees and no precipitation during the game. Nailed it.

I don't know why, but I was freezing tonight. Had a jacket and everything, but I was just miserable. Torrential thunderstorm about 15 minutes after the game -- maybe that's why there was so little extra time in each half. They knew the storm was coming; had the game been 30 minutes later, we would have had to go into a delay.

Great performance. Really feels like it's coming together. That attacking group was deadly. Defense continues to be nails.

Barraza letting up way too many juicy rebounds, though. He seems to just deal with the shot in the moment without really thinking about where to put the rebound. Definitely needs to work on that, because he's going to give up goals that way. Almost conceded one in the first half tonight, had to make a miraculous save to keep it out.

Gaby-Santi-Tallest Mango is a fire front three.
Richie deez needs to be on the field.
Can we please stop conceding goals when we have a multi goal lead.
Barraza had a great game but he oozes uncertainty in the back.
Nice crowd tonight in Flushing. Porchetta was closed, offset by the Hudson Whiskey cocktail stand.
3 home games, 7 points - acceptable. Four games now on the road, time to get a first W (and maybe more than one). Please let’s get that W in Harrison in a few weeks.

i think talles has a couple levels yet. he still looks like he's trying too hard. hopefully tonight's goal gives him some confidence. he doesn't seem to get a whole lot of support from cufre. at least not tonight. but yea, that front three is great.

having santi AND richie on the field at the same time was fantastic. we bossed the midfield for most of the game.

set piece defending still needs to improve. not sure what is missing but allowing 2 v 1 every corner seems like a big mistake and in general, we need to fight harder in the box. chanot and martins are monsters, but the rest need to step it up a bit.

overall, enjoyable game to watch. we had good flow and not sure if dallas high press was just not very good or we were just really smooth playing through it tonight. it was a joy to see, especially when we've had so much trouble in recent games doing it.

Santi at the false 9 looked really good, give the boys a couple more reps in this formation (establishing the relationship between ledezma and Santi especially of when to push high or drop back for the ball) and our attack is going to be lethal. Especially because Santi is much more willing to do some of the more typical 9 work that Talles was not able to do (holding the ball up, running in behind the defence). I think bringing in a true 9 will give us a lot more in terms of flexibility and depth but I would not be mad with this xi going forward. It even lets us take advantage of the defensive strengths of pelligrini and Jasson to kill off games. One negative for me besides set piece defending is cufre for me. I think he is decent at both defense and attack but not great at either. KOT at the LB spot would open up so much more for Talles I think without being too much of a liability on the back. I would be curious to see it.

False 9. Obviously this worked well. There was a constant 4 man rotation of players cycling through the top spot. You could look at the Dallas CBs at any point during the match and be equally likely to see Santi, Magno, Richie or Keaton drifting between them. Really fun to see how much they shifted around.

Ferreira. Our defense is terrific. But before reading too much into last night it's important to note that their biggest threat only entered the match after it was 3-0.

Through balls. I hope Nick considers playing more through balls. I love the intricate passing and build up. But one of the benefits of all that passing is that it lulls the backline. Seems last night there were no runs/passes in behind. Might be a reflection of the newness of Santi in the false 9. Just hope we find a way to do this in future. The one player who they did seem to release a little bit was Gabby. More of this please.

FB support. I think one of the reasons Gabby looks so good these days is Ilenic. And and one of the reasons Magno at times seems lackluster is Cufre. They don't seem to know how to play off one another. Cufre's runs never seem to complement what Magno is doing. Whereas there seems much more energy from Ilenic and chemistry with him and Gabby. Hope Nick can unlock something there.

If any of you are the guy in the supporters section yelling at people for clapping/cheering a Barraza save, you’re a loser. All this guy did for 90 minutes was scream random things about how much he hated Barraza and how much better Johnson was. It seemed so personal and was really odd. It’s not Barrazas fault Johnson left and quite frankly Barraza has been serviceable. I really wanted to go up to him and show him the TFC score and that Johnson gave up 4 goals last night/the analytics that both players have been quite even, but you can’t rationalize or argue with crazy.

I'm all in for Salty Rodriguez
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 9.35.51 AM.png
61 degrees and no precipitation during the game. Nailed it.

Yeah, close enough. Rain just held up long enough, but even if it poured the last 15 minutes I think it's a mostly non-rain game.
I think the issue is that weather apps show a future day as "rainy" if there's at least a 30-40% chance of rain for about 3 hours or more. SO people post that rain is forecast for game day, but the odds of getting in a clear sky game with those odds is pretty high.

If any of you are the guy in the supporters section yelling at people for clapping/cheering a Barraza save, you’re a loser. All this guy did for 90 minutes was scream random things about how much he hated Barraza and how much better Johnson was. It seemed so personal and was really odd. It’s not Barrazas fault Johnson left and quite frankly Barraza has been serviceable. I really wanted to go up to him and show him the TFC score and that Johnson gave up 4 goals last night/the analytics that both players have been quite even, but you can’t rationalize or argue with crazy.
That’s such a bizarre take by whoever that was for so many reasons. Leaving aside all of that, Barraza has been stellar, in fact making some saves (including two last night) I don’t think SJ would have made at this point. So far he has also avoided the SJ blunder (although the sample size is too small).

I’m also upset since I had Gabby at +380 as anytime goal scorer. His first goal was waived off because of VAR and the third goal was saved then scored by the Talles rebound.

It’s funny how Vegas has Gabe Segal as the most likely to score for our team. If Segal scores a goal for NYCFC in MLS this season, I’ll make a nice donation to City in the Community.

Reactions: moogoo
That’s such a bizarre take by whoever that was for so many reasons. Leaving aside all of that, Barraza has been stellar, in fact making some saves (including two last night) I don’t think SJ would have made at this point. So far he has also avoided the SJ blunder (although the sample size is too small).
One concern about Barazza, and someone may be able to talk me out of it with advanced stats or something… Eye test is he deflects the ball back into play an inordinate amount of time. Watching recaps of other games there was one strike that the St. Louis keeper grabbed out of the air that surprised me because I’m used to watching Barazza paddle balls away that seem 90% easier to handle. Feel we have been incredibly lucky on many an occasion.

One concern about Barazza, and someone may be able to talk me out of it with advanced stats or something… Eye test is he deflects the ball back into play an inordinate amount of time. Watching recaps of other games there was one strike that the St. Louis keeper grabbed out of the air that surprised me because I’m used to watching Barazza paddle balls away that seem 90% easier to handle. Feel we have been incredibly lucky on many an occasion.
I had that thought in earlier games - that he was giving up some dangerous rebounds. But I think it’s probably a combination of him making some exceptional shot blocks where it may be difficult to control where it ends up, and at times some youth and inexperience where he sometimes takes the easier option and punches/blocks rather than the risk of bringing it in. That’s just my gut though, nothing scientific beyond that.

Sands and Parks were poor.

Chanot got on Sands a couple of times for not doing “captainy” things. It’s tough right now because at the game you can see that Sands organizes the entire formation. But he lacks the fire of Chanot. Tough.

I still think we need a Striker. It looked less like a False 9 and more like a fluid front 4. I would imagine we try it again next week. Nothing clicked until the second half.

What’s ironic is that we look AWESOME as a counter attack team. Which goes entirely away from our possession based mantra. Not sure if Talles can pull that off but our other three attackers are tailor made for this, plus Ilenic up the right. My two cents.

Anyone else hear the “Let’s Go Wrexham” chant coming from 137 or 136 towards the end of the match

Sands and Parks were poor.

Chanot got on Sands a couple of times for not doing “captainy” things. It’s tough right now because at the game you can see that Sands organizes the entire formation. But he lacks the fire of Chanot. Tough.

I still think we need a Striker. It looked less like a False 9 and more like a fluid front 4. I would imagine we try it again next week. Nothing clicked until the second half.

What’s ironic is that we look AWESOME as a counter attack team. Which goes entirely away from our possession based mantra. Not sure if Talles can pull that off but our other three attackers are tailor made for this, plus Ilenic up the right. My two cents.

Anyone else hear the “Let’s Go Wrexham” chant coming from 137 or 136 towards the end of the match
Sands did go the full ninety on Wednesday. I remember a few years ago he had a bit of a dip in performance as the season went on. We need Alfredo to get back in form to give him a break when there is more congestion in the schedule.

Reactions: Kjbert
think SJ would have had to be amazing to deny a lot of the goals TFC have given up. He probably wishes he had worked something out with NYCFC. Wonder if TFC will get it together as a team. Could be a looooong year for SJ.

Reactions: Kjbert
Sands did go the full ninety on Wednesday. I remember a few years ago he had a bit of a dip in performance as the season went on. We need Alfredo to get back in form to give him a break when there is more congestion in the schedule.
I thought it was really odd that when Morales came on it wasn’t for Sands. Sands just traveled around the country this week and looked gassed pretty early. Seemed like an easy like for like switch up 3-0