MLS - April 22 - Dallas (Home)

think SJ would have had to be amazing to deny a lot of the goals TFC have given up. He probably wishes he had worked something out with NYCFC. Wonder if TFC will get it together as a team. Could be a looooong year for SJ.
Fair point about Johnson. I miss him too and TFC has been pathetic. My main concern is just how much this guy loathed Barraza. Was cursing at no one in general calling them “fucking morons” because Johnson would have done better when we cheered a Barraza save. I should have videoed it. The whole situation was bizarre

Reactions: SoupInNYC
someone may be able to talk me out of it with advanced stats or something
Funny you say that. I had just looked to see if I could find the not-so-advanced stat of rebounds allowed. I can't find it anywhere. He does seem to punch it when he could try for a catch. Like JayH JayH I think it's at least partly lack of confidence/experience.

think SJ would have had to be amazing to deny a lot of the goals TFC have given up. He probably wishes he had worked something out with NYCFC. Wonder if TFC will get it together as a team. Could be a looooong year for SJ.
Two crazy deflections of which one was an own. goal. Sean seemed to give a very hard stare at the 2 defenders involved in the own goal. Maybe I'm wrong. It was very much bad luck more than poor decisions or anything.

Reactions: JayH
What’s ironic is that we look AWESOME as a counter attack team. Which goes entirely away from our possession based mantra. Not sure if Talles can pull that off but our other three attackers are tailor made for this, plus Ilenic up the right. My two cents.
Our first goal was kind of WPIOOTBGW. On the others, we started building up with passes, then on both Ledezma was able to make a long pass from near midfield to Pereira on the right in wide open space from which Gabby was able to go directly to goal with almost zero obstacles. It think it was more about Dallas than a change in our style. I will concede that in the past it sometimes seemed we would slow down when such opportunities presented themselves, but i'll take this any time when the opponent offers it.

Barraza had an excellent game last night - the reaction save in the first half (which would have put FCD up 1-0 was fantastic).

By the eye test, Barazza oozes a bit of uncertainty during the game which is a reversal from the confidence that SJ brought.

To use an analogy, SJ was like the hockey goalie who had great positioning and made saves look easy while Barazza is making the highlight reel athletic stops. Both keep the goal from being scored but in different ways.

Does anyone understand why the first Gabby goal was disallowed. Keaton was in the line of sight but not offsides. Two other guys were offside but not interfering. There was vague assertions that there was an offside in the buildup but I just looked and can't find anything. A few minutes later the broadcast showed - something - leading up to the play, but I have no idea how it was supposed to be offsides.

Reactions: Vallos
Coming away with 8 of 12 points against @New England (1E), Atlanta (3E), Nashville (6E), and Dallas (4W) was huge. That's great results for a tough stretch.

Does anyone understand why the first Gabby goal was disallowed. Keaton was in the line of sight but not offsides. Two other guys were offside but not interfering. There was vague assertions that there was an offside in the buildup but I just looked and can't find anything. A few minutes later the broadcast showed - something - leading up to the play, but I have no idea how it was supposed to be offsides.
Only offsides would have been at 14:51 no?
They claim he was in an offside position before receiving the ball. It must be from another angle cause he sure looked onside from the live broadcast perspective. Initially the broadcast team seemed to think it was that Parks? may have been shielding the keeper from an offside position. Yeah. I would love some clarity as well.

Only offsides would have been at 14:51 no?
They claim he was in an offside position before receiving the ball. It must be from another angle cause he sure looked onside from the live broadcast perspective. Initially the broadcast team seemed to think it was that Parks? may have been shielding the keeper from an offside position. Yeah. I would love some clarity as well.
I see it now. They give a better replay angle at 19:55, which until now confused me because they did not show the full pass and I thought it was the wrong pass. Anyway, at 14:51 it looks like he's behind the nearest defender but 3 other defenders are keeping him on. At 19:55 the angle is better and he's off.

Reactions: Vallos
I see it now. They give a better replay angle at 19:55, which until now confused me because they did not show the full pass and I thought it was the wrong pass. Anyway, at 14:51 it looks like he's behind the nearest defender but 3 other defenders are keeping him on. At 19:55 the angle is better and he's off.
Yes. Yes. That angle is clearer. It was all VAR. Flag stayed down.

Agree with what others said about barraza. One thing I find confusing is instead of punching to try and ensure the ball flies far away, he's swatting at it open handed. Sometimes with two hands.

This could be uncertainty or lack of confidence in his ability to deliver a one handed punch.. but it is very strange to see at this level.

Fair point about Johnson. I miss him too and TFC has been pathetic. My main concern is just how much this guy loathed Barraza. Was cursing at no one in general calling them “fucking morons” because Johnson would have done better when we cheered a Barraza save. I should have videoed it. The whole situation was bizarre
Sounds concerning and borderline unsafe. If it happens again maybe he should be reported.

That’s such a bizarre take by whoever that was for so many reasons. Leaving aside all of that, Barraza has been stellar, in fact making some saves (including two last night) I don’t think SJ would have made at this point. So far he has also avoided the SJ blunder (although the sample size is too small).
I think Barraza's pros and cons are both very striking. On the pros side, his comfort with the ball at his feet really gives you one additional outfield player in a way SK couldn't provide. Yesterday, part of the reason why Dallas press was ineffective was how quickly they could recycle through him and how much pressure he could take, meaning how comfortable he was receiving with an attacker already coming for him. On the negative side, he doesn't look like a very good shot stopper and his tendency to punch the ball instead of catching it is really dangerous and unwarranted.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Coming away with 8 of 12 points against @New England (1E), Atlanta (3E), Nashville (6E), and Dallas (4W) was huge. That's great results for a tough stretch.

Next 4 games are on the road against Toronto (12E), Charlotte (11E), RBNJ (13E), Orlando (9E). NYCFC needs to get some wins and points on the road against these teams.

Took the LIRR to the game and back from Grand Central. It was a pleasant experience given all the hoopla with the 7 train this weekend. And with planned work during more of our Citi Field matches, this will be the go-to option in the future. They didn't check tickets on the way back, honor system I guess.

Took the LIRR to the game and back from Grand Central. It was a pleasant experience given all the hoopla with the 7 train this weekend. And with planned work during more of our Citi Field matches, this will be the go-to option in the future. They didn't check tickets on the way back, honor system I guess.
I took the N to the 7. Will be taking the LIRR from GCT in the future.

Reactions: Kjbert
If any of you are the guy in the supporters section yelling at people for clapping/cheering a Barraza save, you’re a loser. All this guy did for 90 minutes was scream random things about how much he hated Barraza and how much better Johnson was. It seemed so personal and was really odd. It’s not Barrazas fault Johnson left and quite frankly Barraza has been serviceable. I really wanted to go up to him and show him the TFC score and that Johnson gave up 4 goals last night/the analytics that both players have been quite even, but you can’t rationalize or argue with crazy.
This is too bad. Barrazza has been more than serviceable. He was terrific last night in particular. He made 7 saves, and if he doesn’t make a couple of tough early saves, the whole game is different.