Mls Expansion Priority Draft

I think there's a little hubris here. Sure, NYCFC can manage much better than other clubs, but NYCFC still needs solid quality guys and the draft/expansion avenues can turn up those kinds of players.
Fair enough, but when it comes to drafting a player the difference between Player 1 and Player 2 isn't that far off. The skillset won't be developed enough that #1 is on par with Christiano Ronaldo and the second best is playing at the same level as every other person in the draft pool.

To clarify, NYCFC is in a better position to develop a player because of CFG. No other reason. NYCFC has enough connections to develop a player alongside some of the worlds best. The same can't be said for OCSC.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Well wonder what those accusing MLS of favoritism have to say about the mistake incident. I still haven't got round to reading about these draft rules properly but it hardly seems to be a monumental error judging from reaction. Still lets hope its the last error Kreis makes for a while. Sure the majority of MLS managers will make more mistakes than Kreis in future even if they aren't quite so public and blatant.

We'll have plenty of youth but we'll also sign a bunch of players from other places... so I'm not worried about this.

Reactions: Gene
It makes zero sense why the manager would be the person running something like this anyway... That's the dumbest part of the whole fiasco. Why wouldn't the GM be doing this?

Agreed. This should have been much more official. Reyna should be making these calls

Reactions: Kjbert
It makes zero sense why the manager would be the person running something like this anyway... That's the dumbest part of the whole fiasco. Why wouldn't the GM be doing this?
Kreis had a piece of paper in his laptop under the desk with a list of priorities for the draft. So obviously, NYCFC had a plan going in and just didn't let Kreis choose off the cuff. He said on the video, he flubbed and accidentally looked at the BOTTOM of the list (lowest priority) when he chose the discovery ranking.

As far as Kreis being there, I'd say it's for PR. I'd want a young, good looking face on camera representing me. Reyna hasn't aged well and isn't as photogenic compared to Kreis. :p

These rankings appear to be very minor in the entire scope of things, but it sucks to screw up our first task in the league. Hopefully it won't matter, and these draft picks will be traded away anyway. Picking allocation order is interesting since that ranking is bypassed for any USMNT player of significance.

Well, essentially, they were just asking the coaches to read off what their organization wanted. I'm sure both coaches spoke with their GMs about this beforehand.

JK just dropped the ball and MLS couldn't let us have a re-do or the MLS haters on twitter and elsewhere would explode and scream its all fake and rigged blah, blah, blah....

It would the Jermaine Jones situation all over again if they let us change our pick.

Like I say, it might annoy JK, but for the kind of organization we are, this doesn't matter.

Seems to be an attitude amongst some here that NYCFC is just going to sign who they please and walk away with the MLS Cup in 2015. I think we all need to take a good long gulp of reality. An expansion team has never won the Cup. Granted the resources of City make this expansion team a slightly different animal, those resources are still regulated by the restrictive MLS rules. Allocation, expansion draft, Disocvery etc are all important mechanisms in building a competitive MLS team. Role players are NEEDED to win in MLS. If you exclude, LA's recent success, the multi DP approach has not done well in this league. Houston, Columbus, Salt Lake, Colorado and KC have been winners. Can anyone name their marquee players? If NYC makes the playoffs next year then we will be a success by MLS expansion team standards, although perhaps not in the eyes of the naysayers/haters. The goal should be the MLS Cup, but we need to be realistic in our expectations.

Seems to be an attitude amongst some here that NYCFC is just going to sign who they please and walk away with the MLS Cup in 2015. I think we all need to take a good long gulp of reality. An expansion team has never won the Cup. Granted the resources of City make this expansion team a slightly different animal, those resources are still regulated by the restrictive MLS rules. Allocation, expansion draft, Disocvery etc are all important mechanisms in building a competitive MLS team. Role players are NEEDED to win in MLS. If you exclude, LA's recent success, the multi DP approach has not done well in this league. Houston, Columbus, Salt Lake, Colorado and KC have been winners. Can anyone name their marquee players? If NYC makes the playoffs next year then we will be a success by MLS expansion team standards, although perhaps not in the eyes of the naysayers/haters. The goal should be the MLS Cup, but we need to be realistic in our expectations.

I believe Chicago Fire won during their first competitive season! However, I agree with your sentiment, and I've said as much on twitter. You need depth to win in this league, and the first focus should be on developing talent, and supplementing that with stars. I think CFG will give us some valuable resources in which to develop talent, but we'll have to wait and see

No offense guys, but Kreis has so much more management experience than Reyna it isn't funny. If you think Kreis screwed up big time in that "show"; then I hate to see your comments after watching Mr. Reyna try his hand at public GM duties.

However I feel that having the #2 pick in the Expansion and Super Drafts are still very good pickups. And having the allocation top spot is a bonus as well.

I think this whole "error" by Kreis, if you want to characterize it as such, actually benefits NYCFC because, as MagnusPax and others have said, no harm was done with getting the picks NYCFC got vs what Orlando City got and this incident demonstrates that NYCFC isn't favored by MLS over other clubs and didn't receive any special treatment.

I believe Chicago Fire won during their first competitive season! However, I agree with your sentiment, and I've said as much on twitter. You need depth to win in this league, and the first focus should be on developing talent, and supplementing that with stars. I think CFG will give us some valuable resources in which to develop talent, but we'll have to wait and see
You are correct, sir. CFC97 won in 1998, their first year. Until I see how the CFG plans to develop NYC talent, I'm going to withhold judgement on how beneficial it will be. I really don't think we're going to see a lot of movement of players across the various CFG teams. But that could be my pessimisstic mind set after years of supporting Red Bull.

I think this whole "error" by Kreis, if you want to characterize it as such, actually benefits NYCFC because, as MagnusPax and others have said, no harm was done with getting the picks NYCFC got vs what Orlando City got and this incident demonstrates that NYCFC isn't favored by MLS over other clubs and didn't receive any special treatment.
UNLESS...it was all done on purpose
ancient_aliens_guy_hd_meme_by_pstrooper-d7p5dz1.png