MLS - February 25 - Nashville (Away)

Detail points on the second goal.

1. Pellegrini. As the play develops Pellegrini and Haak are trailing, Pellegrini to the inside and Haak to the outside. Pellegrini comes from behind Haak to cut in front of him, kudos for sprinting but effectively taking Haak out of the play. He then crosses to the outside, giving Mukhtar the inside where he is able to draw both CBs instead of only occupying Chanot, which is what opens up Shuffleblah.

2. Haak. How did he get beat by Pellegrini? Dude has to be shown that tape. He is not talented enough to not bust his ass. He is the defensive midfielder. His job (among others) is to beat the other midfielders back on defense. Not enough effort.

3. Gray. He was ahead of Shufflebark before he pulled up with a hammy. Minus the injury, that goal probably doesn't happen.

Overall, unlucky, but also areas to learn and grow from.

On second half adjustments.

1. Clearly Magno on the wing with Andrade up top worked better.

2. It seemed they moved to a system where the start of the build went to a back 3 with Gray next to the 2 CBs vs first half where Haak dropped back between the CBs. Gray and Cufre seemed to both move forward together in the first half. In the second it seemed Cufre moved forward with all 3 mids. Then Gray got forward only later in the build up.

3. Gabby. Because of the shift in the build up and Magno moving to LW, almost all the offense went up the left side. That was much better than the first half. But the downside was that whenever they switched fields to Gabby, he was completely isolated. Gave him very little opportunity to work the kind of magic he can deliver when he has players to work off of.

Kudos to Nick for making in game adjustments. Unlucky to lose the second half. Deserving of a draw from the second half (not for the whole game, just a 0-0, or 1-1 scoreline for the second half alone would have been representative).

Can someone explain Talles’s yellow card? The ref pointed to and gave an NYC free kick but Talles also got a yellow which doesn’t make much sense to me. What am I missing?

Reactions: FootyLovin
Have we ever had a player with long flowing hair who played up to expections?

Can someone explain Talles’s yellow card? The ref pointed to and gave an NYC free kick but Talles also got a yellow which doesn’t make much sense to me. What am I missing?
Nashville defender hip-checked Magno off the ball then Talles reaches out and slapped him on or near the face. Probably missed the face or would have been red. Took me 3 views to figure out but it's actually pretty clear. So foul, then yellow, and we retain possession.

So that sucked. I’ll start with the good.

Barazza looked VERY comfortable back there. I have worries about his size and his ability to control the box. You can see why they love his distribution though. He picked a pass out to midfield at one point in the game that Sean could not have. Brave out of his box too. Just think his size limits him but a good game 1.
Cushing was not afraid to switch things up with the limited resources given to him. Good on Nick.

To the bad…

Gray isn’t any better as a RB than he was 18 months ago. That’s a problem. We’re going to need our little Slovenian to get up to speed soon. And it’s not just that Gray can’t distribute, can’t overlap and can’t help in the buildup. Our most dangerous player is Gabby. Grays inability to help in the attack puts Gabby on an island. Gabby consistently faced two men when he get the ball. And he only got the ball sparingly because Gray can’t make a dangerous forward pass. I can’t stress how much Gray limits us offensively. It’s really bad.

Talles is not a 9. He doesn’t want to hold up play. He won’t run in behind. He won’t keep his positioning sound. He drifts wide and comes back often to receive. Those aren’t things your 9 should be doing with every buildup. Good on Nick for scrapping the plan David Lee gave him and swapping him with Andrade at half.

What is it that Andrade does well on the field?

We lack a creative midfielder. If the plan is to go…Fullback to midfield to winger to Striker, then lots of missing pieces. If Santi comes back, then Santi solves A LOT of problems for us. We still have no depth there, but Santi and Talles and Gabby gives us three creative players that allow you to build and create chances. But right now, I’m not surprised we only had 2 attempts yesterday.

Finally, once you get the RB right and the 10 right, who is converting the opportunities from our build up? I feel good about Talles and Santi and Gabby each getting double digit goals. I think we have a cheat code from Parks in midfield. But we’ve also lost the goal scoring threat from Callens and Tinnerholm.

This team, as I have bitched about since we loaned our best player out with no remuneration, is screaming out for a Striker. David Lee would tell me to calm my tits because 9 teams make the playoffs and we only have to be mediocre until the Summer window closes and we hopefully sell Taty and use that money on a Steiker. It it really sucks to watch yesterdays garbage for 4 more months.

Barazza looked VERY comfortable back there. I have worries about his size and his ability to control the box. You can see why they love his distribution though. He picked a pass out to midfield at one point in the game that Sean could not have. Brave out of his box too. Just think his size limits him but a good game 1.
Wikipedia lists him at 6’2” which is meant to say I don’t think he’s tiny. Also Nick Rimando, one of the greatest keepers in MLS is listed at 5’9” on wiki. Which is just a dirty joke waiting to happen: Size doesn’t matter.

If Luis continues have the same shot stoping abilities he displayed yesterday as well as strong distribution, I will be thrilled. Kind of insane to think we once had Sean, Brad, and Luis all on the roster at the same time.

Goalkeeper is a luxury position. This isn’t a contending roster. So I don’t worry about his flaws right now.

Reactions: Gene
About GEODIS Stadium, it’s in the middle of a residential neighborhood. The egress from the stadium is terrible. If you thought getting out of Red Bull Arena was bad. This was 10x worse.

Cushing was not afraid to switch things up with the limited resources given to him. Good on Nick.

To the bad…

Gray isn’t any better as a RB than he was 18 months ago. That’s a problem. We’re going to need our little Slovenian to get up to speed soon. And it’s not just that Gray can’t distribute, can’t overlap and can’t help in the buildup. Our most dangerous player is Gabby. Grays inability to help in the attack puts Gabby on an island. Gabby consistently faced two men when he get the ball. And he only got the ball sparingly because Gray can’t make a dangerous forward pass. I can’t stress how much Gray limits us offensively. It’s really bad.

Talles is not a 9. He doesn’t want to hold up play. He won’t run in behind. He won’t keep his positioning sound. He drifts wide and comes back often to receive. Those aren’t things your 9 should be doing with every buildup. Good on Nick for scrapping the plan David Lee gave him and swapping him with Andrade at half.

What is it that Andrade does well on the field?

We lack a creative midfielder. If the plan is to go…Fullback to midfield to winger to Striker, then lots of missing pieces. If Santi comes back, then Santi solves A LOT of problems for us. We still have no depth there, but Santi and Talles and Gabby gives us three creative players that allow you to build and create chances. But right now, I’m not surprised we only had 2 attempts yesterday.

Finally, once you get the RB right and the 10 right, who is converting the opportunities from our build up? I feel good about Talles and Santi and Gabby each getting double digit goals. I think we have a cheat code from Parks in midfield. But we’ve also lost the goal scoring threat from Callens and Tinnerholm.

This team, as I have bitched about since we loaned our best player out with no remuneration, is screaming out for a Striker. David Lee would tell me to calm my tits because 9 teams make the playoffs and we only have to be mediocre until the Summer window closes and we hopefully sell Taty and use that money on a Steiker. It it really sucks to watch yesterdays garbage for 4 more months.

if we can get santi and morales can get healthy, our midfield should be pretty good barring additional injuries. If we get ledezma too and Sands back in the summer, we'll be pretty set in the midfield, i think.

I would honestly play otoole at right back until ilenic gets comfortable or even as the starter. the guy is consistent, puts in effort, and is great in the attack. he seems to have both a right and left foot, so why not play him on the right? him and gabby combining seems like a good idea to me. Ilenic looked good in his few minutes, but i'm not ready to stamp my approval on him as a starter yet. Otoole came out of no where and has yet to disappoint when he plays.

andrade gives us speed to run in behind, which we just don't use enough. we tried it once yesterday and it worked. just didn't become a goal. but i was shocked we didn't continue to try it. that's his best asset. let the guy run until he can't run anymore.

overall - we looked gassed yesterday. it's a shame preseason was not used to at least get the guys in tip top physical shape because it clearly wasn't used to get them sharp with their passing and touches.

Wikipedia lists him at 6’2” which is meant to say I don’t think he’s tiny. Also Nick Rimando, one of the greatest keepers in MLS is listed at 5’9” on wiki. Which is just a dirty joke waiting to happen: Size doesn’t matter.

If Luis continues have the same shot stoping abilities he displayed yesterday as well as strong distribution, I will be thrilled. Kind of insane to think we once had Sean, Brad, and Luis all on the roster at the same time.
1.Was thinking there is no way Luis is 6’2 .

2.Was thinking Luis would have the best chance at an assist yesterday.

Reactions: Kjbert
because it clearly wasn't used to get them sharp with their passing and touches.
There's been a lots of talk about needing more midfield pieces especially a new Maxi for possession, but we've played without Maxi before and done much better and multiple guys who should be solid were terrible last night. Everyone made bad passes, lost possession while dribbling, and failed to receive passes well. Even Keaton was poor.
Which is not to say we couldn't use a new Maxi-type, but just that the problem last night was much wider.

Can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

On to Chicago and hope this is the start of a run as the next 4 are quite winnable.

Reactions: Kjbert
There's been a lots of talk about needing more midfield pieces especially a new Maxi for possession, but we've played without Maxi before and done much better and multiple guys who should be solid were terrible last night. Everyone made bad passes, lost possession while dribbling, and failed to receive passes well. Even Keaton was poor.
Which is not to say we couldn't use a new Maxi-type, but just that the problem last night was much wider.

i agree. having a maxi replacement would be great. but being sharp and in shape is more important. in my opinion, we were neither of those yesterday. preseason wasn't used well enough and that's on Nick, I think.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Reminded me of the team from last year. Defended ok and absorbed pressure but in attack you just don’t know where a goal will come from.
There’s no clear threat going forward. We do a decent job of getting the ball in the final third but after that it’s stagnant and nothing is really happening to threaten their keeper.
Second half we dominated possession 75% dominated passing and so on.. yet they still finished with a higher xG
We’re not getting the ball in areas that threaten the goal. Teams will let us hold possession all game if they know they can catch us on counters and break us down.

if we can get santi and morales can get healthy, our midfield should be pretty good barring additional injuries. If we get ledezma too and Sands back in the summer, we'll be pretty set in the midfield, i think.

I would honestly play otoole at right back until ilenic gets comfortable or even as the starter. the guy is consistent, puts in effort, and is great in the attack. he seems to have both a right and left foot, so why not play him on the right? him and gabby combining seems like a good idea to me. Ilenic looked good in his few minutes, but i'm not ready to stamp my approval on him as a starter yet. Otoole came out of no where and has yet to disappoint when he plays.

andrade gives us speed to run in behind, which we just don't use enough. we tried it once yesterday and it worked. just didn't become a goal. but i was shocked we didn't continue to try it. that's his best asset. let the guy run until he can't run anymore.

overall - we looked gassed yesterday. it's a shame preseason was not used to at least get the guys in tip top physical shape because it clearly wasn't used to get them sharp with their passing and touches.
Thank you!

I see a lot of negativity about Andrade, and he does need to improve the quality on his final ball whether shooting or passing, but I was beginning to think I was the only one seeing his potential.

Andrade not only has blazing speed, he makes excellent runs. We just barely ever reward them and we never seem to game plan his speed. Mixing in “over the top” balls with our normal build from the back play would make us more unpredictable and create better space to prevent the other teams high press.

Andrade needs to get better but we need to start using him better!

Hey, I just noticed John Carter Cash was wearing our scarf yesterday. Ballsy.

ne4teet6zfyje1fftbka.jpg

1.Was thinking there is no way Luis is 6’2 .
He seems shorter to me as well, but
squad 230225.jpeg

Hair is a confounding factor, but he seems a bit shorter than Keaton (listed as 6'3"), taller than Haak (6'0"), and about the same as Chanot, Martins and Talles (all 6'1").
Also nice to see the Keaton Grin in full effect.

Last edited: