MLS - July 17 - Red Bulls (Away)

This^. In real time I was concerned it would result in a review/red. It was close - I would never trust the officials to deliberate on intent.
Kaka got a hands to face red for contact that was more involved than what Taty did, but which also was completely in jest, and the recipient literally laughed about it and smiled at Kaka because they were former teammates and friends. VAR DGAF. Red.

Taty's contact was less intense, but Barlow was not amused. It could have gone bad.

Kaka got a hands to face red for contact that was more involved than what Taty did, but which also was completely in jest, and the recipient literally laughed about it and smiled at Kaka because they were former teammates and friends. VAR DGAF. Red.

Taty's contact was less intense, but Barlow was not amused. It could have gone bad.
Didn't Villa get a red for something similar very early on in the VAR implementation? I think any contact to the face was immediately a red card at first with VAR, but then they (VAR) realized that was too strict a rule as some players make friendly/light facial touches all the time. I haven't seen any light facial touches being given as reds recently, but I could be wrong and may have missed them.

I do agree Taty's, although very light, was something that could've ended very poorly for us if given another review or if Barlow had reacted differently.

Reactions: JayH
Didn't Villa get a red for something similar very early on in the VAR implementation? I think any contact to the face was immediately a red card at first with VAR, but then they (VAR) realized that was too strict a rule as some players make friendly/light facial touches all the time. I haven't seen any light facial touches being given as reds recently, but I could be wrong and may have missed them.

I do agree Taty's, although very light, was something that could've ended very poorly for us if given another review or if Barlow had reacted differently.
Villa did, and not only did he, but it was the historic first EVER VAR red card in the world.

Reactions: Schwallacus

I think Villa's was in a preseason game, but yes.

ETA Shwafta Shwafta dealing the specifics seconds before my vague memory.

Like many, I remember this in real time. Barlow was engaged in some dispute and Taty was talking him down. He tapped his face a few times in what could look like a friendly gesture but was actually an effort at intimidation. A red would have been absurd, but as has been pointed out - that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.