MLS - July 17 - Red Bulls (Away)

Hell of a shot and hell of a save. Coronel is a really good keeper.

But the thing I loved most from this sequence was Callens' follow through on the shot to be able to get that additional chance.
Shame he could not get more on it given the height, angle etc., but love that he made the effort and forced another play.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Hell of a shot and hell of a save. Coronel is a really good keeper.

But the thing I loved most from this sequence was Callens' follow through on the shot to be able to get that additional chance.

I saw him run for that follow up as everyone else was standing still and though YES GET IT!. then he headed it and I was like NO! I wish he was right footed at that time. I think that's probably why he headed it. To be fair, it would have been a difficult finish even with a right foot as a defender was right in front, but a right footed smash could have made it through more than the less powerful header that was blocked. Great play and awareness though. Not sure if it was designed, but I liked it.

How do people feel about Steve Cangialosi calling the game for ESPN. IIRC, he and Shep Messing did a game on one of the networks (Fox?) two seasons ago. I think Cangialosi is a decent announcer and tries to play it down the middle when doing our games, but it still kind of bothers me.

Also, did anyone else like the color commentator, Danny Higginbotham, as much as I did. I thought he was very good - insightful about the game & tactics. I had not heard him before, so I looked him up. Manchester guy, who bounced around EPL and Championship. Now is the color commentator for the Philadelphia Union, which means their team is now JP Dellacamara and Higginbotham, which is about as good as it gets.
The following is all true, for me.
  • I will always have fond memories of Cangialosi and "For all the sports news instantly, dial 976-1313."
  • Listening to him and Shep call Red Bull games is like rubbing a cheese grater on my skin.
  • I agree he works hard and mostly succeeds in changing his style for national games. I see no reason, for example, to complain about his call of Taty's goal.
  • It nonetheless annoys me considerably that he does HRD games nationally.
I also very much liked Higginbotham and also looked him up during the game.

Last edited:
I saw him run for that follow up as everyone else was standing still and though YES GET IT!. then he headed it and I was like NO! I wish was right footed at that time. I think that's probably why he headed it. To be fair, it would have been a difficult finish even with a right foot as a defender was right in front, but a right footed smash could have made it through more than the less powerful header that was blocked. Great play and awareness though. Not sure if it was designed, but I liked it.
I'm not sure it was designed either. I think Callens started his run up shortly after Maxi to try and hold Coronel and make him think that there was a chance Callens could end up taking the FK (which I was really hoping for), and then he just had the awareness to continue his run on after Maxi took the shot.

I'm not sure it was designed either. I think Callens started his run up shortly after Maxi to try and hold Coronel and make him think that there was a chance Callens could end up taking the FK (which I was really hoping for), and then he just had the awareness to continue his run on after Maxi took the shot.

lol. when we got the FK, I was hoping Taty would take it because Maxi, though I love the guy, just doesn't have a very powerful shot. When Callens lined up too, I was hopeful he would take it. Maxi made a really good effort that was going in but for a truly good save. But I can't help but think if it had more juice on it, it would have gone in despite Coronel's effort. It was perfectly in the corner on the wall side after all.

Callens has upped his game considerably in the last few years and between last year and this year, he's world class in my book. If he were in his early 20s instead of 30, he'd be going to Europe.

I saw him run for that follow up as everyone else was standing still and though YES GET IT!. then he headed it and I was like NO! I wish he was right footed at that time. I think that's probably why he headed it. To be fair, it would have been a difficult finish even with a right foot as a defender was right in front, but a right footed smash could have made it through more than the less powerful header that was blocked. Great play and awareness though. Not sure if it was designed, but I liked it.
As much as I love Callens I'm not sure he has the touch to put a waist high bounce volley like that on target consistently with either foot. As it was, he forced a defender on the line to make a block. So goes it.

Last edited:
I thought he was rather poor tonight, aside from the two excellent passes in the 2nd half leading to a goal and a great chance. To me, he had trouble picking out the right passes and executing, turning it over a lot, sometimes in bad places. It happens. He's a terrific player with a chance to be great. I told my son at halftime that I thought he was having an off game, but that he could still rescue all that with a great pass. He certainly did so.

I may have watched the wrong game since my takes keep being off - next you'll tell me Acevedo didn't pass to the wrong team a bunch!

Both passes he made to Taty and Maxi were inch perfect - that can smooth over a lot of warts when you create like that. Made me look at him in a new light as I feel frustrated by his choices a fair amount.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
He's on pace to hit 17, as we have 10 in 20 games. On the other hand, it takes so little to disrupt a clean sheet. I would bet against, but rooting for it and won't consider it a shock if he does it.

If he does, he probably has a guaranteed ticket to Qatar which would be cool.

I may have watched the wrong game since my takes keep being off - next you'll tell me Acevedo didn't pass to the wrong team a bunch!

Both passes he made to Taty and Maxi were inch perfect - that can smooth over a lot of warts when you create like that. Made me look at him in a new light as I feel frustrated by his choices a fair amount.
No worries - it's a hard game to fully understand, and my take has an equal chance of being wrong as yours.