MLS - October 17 - Red Bulls (Away)

I know things looked bleak after getting knocked out of the playoffs repeatedly between 2017 and last season, but I think this is as low as it gets. I think there's so much apathy surrounding this club that I question how this organization is going to turn this around.

I think we all understand that there's 5 matches left and firing Ronny at this point might be disruptive. However, doing nothing leaves supporters feeling like CFG doesn't care how NYCFC does. What would happen if Man City had 14 points over the last 14 matches?!

I think Ronny should be fired immediately. Put Mehdi in for the rest of the season and start looking for a coach with some MLS experience.

The primary argument for me against Lee is that he seems to be more concerned with investments than players that can contribute. What other justification could there be for Magno taking up a DP spot when it seems, in retrospect, that they had very little expectation of him contributing this year?
Also keeping Rodriguez in Uruguay for the benefit of the club there, so he arrived 1/3 into our season. And choosing not to buy down Medina and get another DP.

Replacing Lee won’t change that. That’s an ownership/group management issue.

Also, I wonder if the club’s strong start with a grossly incomplete roster led management to think they could get away with the Medina and Magno decisions and not get someone more proven. But then Medina and Maxi regressed, Santi was slow to blend and too often hurt, and suddenly the decision to go with a pair of unproven young Brazilians left us with a roster of Taty plus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on offense.

I’m a broken record but how much worst does it need to get til you do something to stop the collapse? Why wait until you definitely miss the playoffs. Do something that shows that this is unacceptable. If you think the team doesn’t have what it takes then okay, I get just calling it a season. If you think this team is good then quite frankly WTF. I just skimmed through the press conference with RD and I get it, press conferences are kind of dumb cause the questions are usually dumb but I get no sense he is upset or realizes this season is slipping away. Might as well be the second game of the season. I’m so sick snd tired of hearing about chances. Does he know that you need to score goals to win games? If I jump up and try to grab an apple from a tree 100 times and touch an apple but can’t pull it off or get it to fall off the tree but someone else jumps up once and is able to get the apple guess who is successful. Okay weird example but my head is on fire about this team.

Last edited:
I’m a broken record but how much worst does it need to get til you do something to stop the collapse? Why wait until you definitely miss the playoffs. Do something that shows that this is unacceptable. Unless you think the team doesn’t have what it takes then I get just calling it a season. If you think this team is good then quite frankly WTF. I just skimmed through the press conference with RD and I get it, press conferences are kind of dumb cause the questions are usually dumb but I get no sense he is upset or realizes this season is slipping away. Might as well be the second game of the season. I’m so sick snd tired of hearing about chances. Does he know that you need to score goals to win games? If I jump up and try to grab an apple from a tree 100 times and touch an apple but can’t pull it off or get it to fall off the tree but someone else jumps up once and is able to get the apple guess who is successful. Okay weird example but my head is on fire about this team.

I get the frustration, I'm frustrated too. But the idea Ronny is not upset is just laughable. Of course he's upset! He chooses to be a little more even-keeled with the media, which is calculated, but don't take that as him not caring. The guy cares.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I didn’t watch today. Had zero confidence they were going to score any goals, figured it would be an uninspiring loss or scoreless draw.

I think I’m done for the the season. All my enthusiasm for watching this team has drained out of me— hard to believe, thinking back to moments like Thiagos last minute game winner. I’ll check in from time to time to check if Ronny’s been fired yet. Otherwise, see ya next season when hopefully we’ll have a new manager and some stadium developments! Fingers crossed.

I get the frustration, I'm frustrated too. But the idea Ronny is not upset is just laughable. Of course he's upset! He chooses to be a little more even-keeled with the media, which is calculated, but don't take that as him not caring. The guy cares.
I agree. I’m sure he cares. And being even keeled is great. At this point I guess I’m looking for a little fire. Not full on Bobby Knight, but a pinch of spice.

Just watched and boy oh boy was that a stinker. A couple of things:

1) RBNJ were really, really bad. Somehow we managed to be even worse.
2) What kills us is our slow tempo. That’s why superior talent is not getting points.
3) Santi is really terrible off the ball. So many times he dishes it off to Maxi and …then just stops instead of finding space for a return ball. Not just today.
4) Chanot and Sands suddenly don’t seem to know what to do with crosses or corners.
5) The goal was on everyone, but Sands was caught ball watching and lost his man. It was truly Matarrita-esque. Inexcusable.
6) Keaton, bless him, is our only player who has been performing his role consistently well.
7) Both Medina and Santi missed sitters because they were flat footed. This goes back to the tempo thing, everyone is just flat.
8) Did I mention how poor RBNJ were/are? How they hell did we lose that that team?
9) MLS has a New York Problem that’s bigger than just our stadium situation. When a derby match with a playoff spot at stake draws such a pitiful crowd that’s a glaring issue. Two farm teams with no glamour factor in the media capital. Ouch.
10) 413Blue I’m starting to pick up a Revs vibe too. Ownership just doesn’t seem to be trying. I’ve been patient about Ronny, but at this point if they don’t sack him it looks like they don’t care. You can’t lose back to back derbies to a shit RBNJ team like this.

Last edited:
9) MLS has a New York Problem that’s bigger than just our stadium situation. When a derby match with a playoff spot at stake draws such a pitiful crowd that’s a glaring issue. Two farm teams with no glamour factor in the media capital. Ouch.

On the attendance issue: This has been an issue for every team in New York. The Yankees averaged 32,000 fans this season after they returned to full capacity, they had never been under 38,000 in any season since 1998. The Rangers didn't even sell out their home opener. Knicks aren't selling well, either. I don't know what's happening with the Giants and Jets, but my guess would be there's lots of no-shows.

I think people are still skittish about being in large venues (and with kids still not vaccinated, families may not be ready yet). It's definitely impacting attendance across all sports in the area. So I wouldn't read much into the attendance. Hopefully we can make an apples to apples comparison next season if the virus is more at bay.

Reactions: Regulator and Kenny
On the attendance issue: This has been an issue for every team in New York. The Yankees averaged 32,000 fans this season after they returned to full capacity, they had never been under 38,000 in any season since 1998. The Rangers didn't even sell out their home opener. Knicks aren't selling well, either. I don't know what's happening with the Giants and Jets, but my guess would be there's lots of no-shows.

I think people are still skittish about being in large venues (and with kids still not vaccinated, families may not be ready yet). It's definitely impacting attendance across all sports in the area. So I wouldn't read much into the attendance. Hopefully we can make an apples to apples comparison next season if the virus is more at bay.
Pre-pandemic we'd go to RBA on derby days and it would be crazy empty. It's nice to have an excuse like the pandemic to blame, but I think it runs deeper. (Also finding parking today made me understand why no one wants to go to that stadium in the middle of nowhere)

Reactions: JCMore and Joe_Cos
Pre-pandemic we'd go to RBA on derby days and it would be crazy empty. It's nice to have an excuse like the pandemic to blame, but I think it runs deeper. (Also finding parking today made me understand why no one wants to go to that stadium in the middle of nowhere)

Sure -- Red Bulls have always struggled with attendance so that's no surprise. I agree that their attendance issues run deeper than the pandemic. My argument was that making large-scale assumptions about the state of the sport in this region off today's attendance is, I think, the wrong thing to do this season.

Reactions: JCMore and Shwafta
Sure -- Red Bulls have always struggled with attendance so that's no surprise. I agree that their attendance issues run deeper than the pandemic. My argument was that making large-scale assumptions about the state of the sport in this region off today's attendance is, I think, the wrong thing to do this season.
True, I guess you can't actually say the state of it, since it's technically possible that they gained fans over the pandemic (the way they've been playing though recently........). However my gut tells me otherwise

True, I guess you can't actually say the state of it, since it's technically possible that they gained fans over the pandemic (the way they've been playing though recently........). However my gut tells me otherwise
I don’t know what the actual numbers are but RBNJ should be at least matching our numbers for a derby match and it looked like a much smaller crowd than the last match at YS. My larger point is that they have even fewer players to get excited about than we do, they are much quicker to move their few exciting players to Europe than we are, and that neither team is able to create the kind of excitement that you see consistently in places as diverse as LA, Minnesota, Austin, Atlanta or the Pacific NW. Those places have a pandemic too. I actually think CFG does a better job of culture building than RB, but it’s a low bar and nether team is doing that well, despite almost infinite resources. This probably belongs ina another thread but it’s so frustrating

Reactions: Shwafta
I don’t know what the actual numbers are but RBNJ should be at least matching our numbers for a derby match and it looked like a much smaller crowd than the last match at YS. My larger point is that they have even fewer players to get excited about than we do, they are much quicker to move their few exciting players to Europe than we are, and that neither team is able to create the kind of excitement that you see consistently in places as diverse as LA, Minnesota, Austin, Atlanta or the Pacific NW. Those places have a pandemic too. I actually think CFG does a better job of culture building than RB, but it’s a low bar and nether team is doing that well, despite almost infinite resources. This probably belongs ina another thread but it’s so frustrating

You can probably blame some of the bad attendance numbers for this game on whoever decided to schedule this game at the same time as the Giants game at MetLife. Why would you schedule an MLS game on a Sunday during American football season? They could have easily scheduled it for Saturday.

You can probably blame some of the bad attendance numbers for this game on whoever decided to schedule this game at the same time as the Giants game at MetLife. Why would you schedule an MLS game on a Sunday during American football season? They could have easily scheduled it for Saturday.
I wish someone could have scheduled something requiring me to miss both the NYCFC and Giants games.

I wish someone could have scheduled something requiring me to miss both the NYCFC and Giants games.

Agreed. As bad as NYCFC is right now, it's nothing compared to the way the other NY football teams are playing.

Reactions: JayH
I watched this game while watching a football game on a second screen. I forgot this game was on 80% of the time.

Worse than bad is boring.

Reactions: Revfugee