MLS - October 17 - Red Bulls (Away)

The only way to know if this TEAM is any good is if they can win games. No points for being unlucky, no points for generating more chances.
The only real marker is wins against losses and draws. This team is bad.
I think not firing Ronny right now would mean that the front office doesn’t give a hoot and are okay drifting further into irrelevance. Even with a slim chance of getting into the playoffs, you shake it up now and see what kind of roll comes up. When a team is talked about as maybe being the best in the league and then nosedives right out of playoff contention WHILE PLAYING THE WORST TEAMS IN MLS you have to make a change. Seriously. How could you not? The fire fired their coach after a win fer chreis sake.

I think if they miss the playoffs Ronny is 100% gone. No question. Not sure they'll pull that trigger with five games left in the regular season.

I think if they miss the playoffs Ronny is 100% gone. No question. Not sure they'll pull that trigger with five games left in the regular season.
I don’t want to wait for missing the playoffs. I don’t want to try and make the playoffs.
Forget the real front office at the moment… if you were the “front office” would you make a change now?

There's reason to think our little engine that could no longer can:

The team played great through July, but underperformed in results. Since August it became apparent that the quality of play has gone downhill, and Maxi is a substantial part of that. As Egan noted in his next tweet, an injury to Sant made it hard to rotate Maxi as much as he should have been. I think we would have been better off going a game here and there without either if we had to. But Maxi just had 2 weeks off and still added little and the team did nothing.

Regardless of whether we get a new coach, the biggest replacement decision this coming ff-season will be replacing Maxi.

difficult for maxi to make a difference when ronny rolls out a midfield and/or formation that provides him with zero help. he doesn't have an engine anymore so he's not going to cover ground. he needs midfielders around him who will.

ronny has either set out a formation where we are outnumbered in the midfield and maxi has to drop super deep to even touch the ball, or he trots out players in the midfield who leave maxi high and dry while not covering any ground.

I'm not saying maxi is the player he was. He certainly is not. But he could be much better if Ronny paired him with better players in a better formation. There's no good reason to play 3 ATB in this game when we were clearly losing the midfield. Yet, the formation did not change til the 70th minute with a line change of subs.

Reactions: danger and JCMore
Another lifeless performance, more offensive ineptitude, more defensive lapses (game could've easily been 3-0 with RB's missed chances). We're just not good. To fall from our August heights has been one of, if not the worst collapses in the team's history. I'll be more surprised if we make playoffs than miss them.

There has to be a disagreement between the front office and Ronny in the gameplan. They’re bringing in attacking help and we’re playing defensive counter football. It makes no sense. On top of that we have a slow midfield. I think we are a Medina and Moralez replacement away from being a real threat. Even if we shed both of them for one really good signing we’re fine.

Ronny wistfully reminiscing about how well we played during a goalless draw with Nashville tells you everything you need to know about this team right now.

The team needs a fresh start, and it’s not just about the coach. Johnson, Chanot, Maxi…..these are no longer dependable options, let alone standout ones.

• Angry
Reactions: Revfugee and moogoo
In the last six games where RBNJ is undefeated they have scored exactly ONE goal each game. (4 wins and 2 ties). either 1-0 wins or 1-1 ties. And yet NYCFC seemed to have no idea how they wanted to play. Fire the coach.

NJRB's renaissance was started and propelled by playing us. In our last 12 games against RB, we've gone 3-6-3, with 1 win in the last 2 seasons. It's just deflating that despite this year being the weakest RB team that we've faced in a long time, we weren't able to win 1 game against them.

Reactions: Regulator
I don’t want to wait for missing the playoffs. I don’t want to try and make the playoffs.
Forget the real front office at the moment… if you were the “front office” would you make a change now?

I'm really patient in these situations, and I don't think I would. The team was so good earlier in the season -- this has gotten away from him, but I think with five games to go it's not really worth firing him now. It upsets the apple cart at a time when they need to be focused on the goal. If they miss the playoffs, I am absolutely getting rid of him. If they lose in the first round of the playoffs, I am still probably getting rid of him. But right now, I think it's slightly diminishing returns to get rid of him.

NJRB's renaissance was started and propelled by playing us. In our last 12 games against RB, we've gone 3-6-3, with 1 win in the last 2 seasons. It's just deflating that despite this year being the weakest RB team that we've faced in a long time, we weren't able to win 1 game against them.

It's not deflating. It's unacceptable.

Ronny wistfully reminiscing about how well we played during a goalless draw with Nashville tells you everything you need to know about this team right now.

The team needs a fresh start, and it’s not just about the coach. Johnson, Chanot, Maxi…..these are no longer dependable options, let alone standout ones.

Drives me crazy that he doesn't acknowledge the obvious factors of losing control of the midfield and just says the same shit and ends with " We just have little things to improve".
Does he really not know how to effectively play against the red bulls after this many games? He's just admitting his coaching ineptitude. He doesn't know what he's doing.

He doesn't have a plan and I don't think he inspires the players anymore.

Reactions: canchon
I'm really patient in these situations, and I don't think I would. The team was so good earlier in the season -- this has gotten away from him, but I think with five games to go it's not really worth firing him now. It upsets the apple cart at a time when they need to be focused on the goal. If they miss the playoffs, I am absolutely getting rid of him. If they lose in the first round of the playoffs, I am still probably getting rid of him. But right now, I think it's slightly diminishing returns to get rid of him.
It seems to me that we’re already deep into the diminishing returns phase.

It seems to me that we’re already deep into the diminishing returns phase.

This is an awful, awful slump. But after that 1-5-0 start last year until two months ago -- a span just over one full calendar year -- Ronny's team was 21-9-7 in the regular season. That's 70 points in a 37-game span from Aug. 24, 2020 - Aug. 28, 2021.

I agree that it's not good enough right now, and I agree that if they miss the playoffs he should get the axe. But IMO Ronny has also earned the benefit of the doubt that he can get them out of this.

I tried to listen to the post game press conference and after his first response full of the usual bullshit, I turned it off. The guy can't even acknowledge (or maybe he doesn't know) that this loss was on HIM and his lack of game plan and poor decisions starting with the formation.

At this point, we'll be LUCKY to make the playoffs. We'll need to win all 3 remaining home matches and somehow win in Miami, which may or may not happen depending on which team shows up for either side.

But IMO Ronny has also earned the benefit of the doubt that he can get them out of this.

i would feel better about giving him the benefit if he acknowledged his mistakes instead of continuing to spew the old "we need to create more chances" and "we have small things to improve" mumbo jumbo. Formation and game plan was the problem today. That's on him.

You can't have diminishing returns when you have no returns to diminish.

This team needs a kick in the ass and now is exactly the time to do it because we're 1-2 more games of this shit for it not to matter.

They have 14 points in 14 games for crying out loud. That's not a slump!

They are so bad right now that there is no way to justify not firing Deila or Lee or both.

I believe it is a talented, but poorly constructed roster and that Ronny has exacerbated the problems with poor strategy, limited ability to make successful in-game adjustments, and poor subbing trends.

He used to be able to blame injuries and international breaks for the lack of continuity in the gameday XI but it is clearly beyond that now -- he's a tinkerer and with none of the football acumen of better tinkerers like Ranieri.

The primary argument for me against Lee is that he seems to be more concerned with investments than players that can contribute. What other justification could there be for Magno taking up a DP spot when it seems, in retrospect, that they had very little expectation of him contributing this year?

I don't know what motivates either of them, but it does not appear to be "building a team that can compete for a Cup over the next 3-4 seasons".

Look at all the "lesser" DPs out there that came in with little fanfare and are producing. It's pathetic that we've had only 2 productive DPs in 7 seasons. 7 productive DP years out of 21.

Reactions: Schwallacus
You can't have diminishing returns when you have no returns to diminish.

This team needs a kick in the ass and now is exactly the time to do it because we're 1-2 more games of this shit for it not to matter.

They have 14 points in 14 games for crying out loud. That's not a slump!

That's all fair. I would argue we're already at the point where it's not going to matter because even if we get in the playoffs, odds are it will be as a 5-7 seed unless we somehow go 4-0-1 or something. So we'll be on the road for the entire postseason. Which means, well, you know.