Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
New York City FC vs. Nashville SC
Sunday, October 3 12 PM ET
Red Bull Arena
YES Network

I'm not spending what should be a beautiful Sunday afternoon inside watching this team play on TV at RBA. I've made other plans. I haven't felt this low about the team (not the club, i.e. front office, well I feel low about them too) over a sustained period since 2015.

NYCFC_Dan My plans don't start until a little later after kickoff so I can open up the chat.

I'm not spending what should be a beautiful Sunday afternoon inside watching this team play on TV at RBA. I've made other plans. I haven't felt this low about the team (not the club, i.e. front office, well I feel low about them too) over a sustained period since 2015.

NYCFC_Dan My plans don't start until a little later after kickoff so I can open up the chat.

You reading this intern? If LionNYC LionNYC is out then the team is in a dark, dark place.

So when does NYCFC hire the collective NYCFCforums as the head coach? Followed by a completely winless 0-34 season
I don’t know man, with mgarbowski mgarbowski at the helm and SoupInNYC SoupInNYC at his side (soup on the side?) with LionNYC LionNYC paying off PRO* I think there’s a good chance the team would go 34-0.

*just a joke not insinuating anything

God forbid this team goes on a slump. I mean, seriously -- it hasn't been the season we hoped for, but there are at least 20 fanbases in the league that would kill to be in the spot we're in. This is getting ridiculous. They're slumping. Boo hoo, these guys aren't robots and sometimes teams slump. But they'll snap out of it, they're too good not to.

I understand the misgivings people have about the organization and the front office and all the off-the-field stuff that has happened the last few years. I get the frustration we all feel with the way the team is run. But on the field, this team remains one of the most consistently good squads in the league. We are lucky to have such a consistent team on the field to root for, even though they are slumping right now.

I just think we are conflating the front office with the on-field product. The front office is a disaster, but the on-field product, aside from this slump, deserves the benefit of the doubt.

God forbid this team goes on a slump. I mean, seriously -- it hasn't been the season we hoped for, but there are at least 20 fanbases in the league that would kill to be in the spot we're in. This is getting ridiculous. They're slumping. Boo hoo, these guys aren't robots and sometimes teams slump. But they'll snap out of it, they're too good not to.
I like that someone on the forum attempts to steer the discussion in a positive direction.
I’ve been looking at the team is this context:
Since the beginning of August, NYCFC has won three games out of 12. 7 of those games were against the worst teams in the league. One of those wins was against arguably the absolute worst team in the league and it was ugly and far from “convincing”.
My belief that this team is good enough to compete for a championship has been lost.
I hope Z is right that this team is good. Let’s see what happens Sunday.

Reactions: FredMertz and Kenny
I like that someone on the forum attempts to steer the discussion in a positive direction.
I’ve been looking at the team is this context:
Since the beginning of August, NYCFC has won three games out of 12. 7 of those games were against the worst teams in the league. One of those wins was against arguably the absolute worst team in the league and it was ugly and far from “convincing”.
My belief that this team is good enough to compete for a championship has been lost.
I hope Z is right that this team is good. Let’s see what happens Sunday.

3 in 13 if you count Leagues Cup. Listen, that's all true. This team has been incredibly poor over this recent stretch. I guess the calculation is which NYCFC do you believe is the "real" team? The one that tore through their schedule the first half of the year and had some unfortunate results? Or the team that has played much worse lately? I can see the argument for both sides, but I still think we have one of the most talented rosters in the league and eventually that talent has to shine through.

Maybe it doesn't. Maybe we miss the playoffs and there are massive changes this offseason. But I still believe in the roster. They deserve the benefit of the doubt, even with some important players having down seasons.

Reactions: Shwafta and Marito

That´s absolutely true. There´s a bunch of MLS teams that are sad, hot messes year after year. And some of them, like Cincy and Miami, actually spend a lot of money to become sadder and messier every single season. And in Cincy´s case in particular, they have a large, faithful, loud and I guess masochistic fanbase. So things could be a lot worse.

That´s absolutely true. There´s a bunch of MLS teams that are sad, hot messes year after year. And some of them, like Cincy and Miami, actually spend a lot of money to become sadder and messier every single season. And in Cincy´s case in particular, they have a large, faithful, loud and I guess masochistic fanbase. So things could be a lot worse.

Also, for context, the reigning champion is desperately trying to at least get into the playoffs, a team with arguably one of the most talented guys in all MLS (Toronto) is next to last. A team that outspends almost everybody every season (ATL) woke up just in time not to miss the playoffs, the last Shield winners are even with us (PHI) and another team with a great roster that was everybody's envy 2 years ago is out of the playoffs right now (LAFC)

In a league with somewhat enforced parity you have lots of unexpected ups and downs

Also, for context, the reigning champion is desperately trying to at least get into the playoffs, a team with arguably one of the most talented guys in all MLS (Toronto) is next to last. A team that outspends almost everybody every season (ATL) woke up just in time not to miss the playoffs, the last Shield winners are even with us (PHI) and another team with a great roster that was everybody's envy 2 years ago is out of the playoffs right now (LAFC)

In a league with somewhat enforced parity you have lots of unexpected ups and downs

Those four teams you mentioned (ATL, TOR, PHI, LAFC) all have trophies in the last 4 years. At some point being “hey we’re a really good team and we’re right there” rings hollow. Win something and we’ll give you the benefit of the doubt for a prolonged slump or down season.

Reactions: Marito
Those four teams you mentioned (ATL, TOR, PHI, LAFC) all have trophies in the last 4 years. At some point being “hey we’re a really good team and we’re right there” rings hollow. Win something and we’ll give you the benefit of the doubt for a prolonged slump or down season.

That's true, but they also get some credit for not being up-and-down. There are a lot of teams around the league that haven't won a title and are also up-and-down. Our year-over-year consistency since 2016 is abnormal in MLS. I want to win a trophy, but they deserve some credit for at least giving us entertaining summers every year.