MLS - October 3 - Nashville (RBA)

That's true, but they also get some credit for not being up-and-down. There are a lot of teams around the league that haven't won a title and are also up-and-down. Our year-over-year consistency since 2016 is abnormal in MLS. I want to win a trophy, but they deserve some credit for at least giving us entertaining summers every year.

I give them credit for being a good team every year. But if I'm being honest, I would almost rather they totally dominate the league and win a bunch of silverware for 1-2 seasons and then hang out the mid-lower part of the table for a season or two. at least we'll have that silverware under our belt. being good but never good enough ... not sure how long that will keep a fanbase excited.

I give them credit for being a good team every year. But if I'm being honest, I would almost rather they totally dominate the league and win a bunch of silverware for 1-2 seasons and then hang out the mid-lower part of the table for a season or two. at least we'll have that silverware under our belt. being good but never good enough ... not sure how long that will keep a fanbase excited.

exactly. I think they had a real chance in 2019 if they hadn’t lost to Toronto - all other games (including MLS Cup) would have been at YS where they were dominant that year.

In addition, the end of this season may change that “we’re good every year” narrative - if they finish say 6th or 7th and squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first round, that is now two down years with Deila at the helm after four years of being 3rd or better in the conference. That to me is awful close to mediocrity (and yeah, could be worse to be Chicago or Cincy).

Reactions: moogoo
Would you really? By the second or third mid-lower part people will start the "Was that a fluke? are they has-beens?" etc discussions. There's never really an end to that. I'd much rather be always top 2-3 teams and winning games than mid-table and having won a few trophies. Because that means the team is winning a lot. I don't want to go watch losses. I want to go watch wins. There are 34 games in a season and I want to witness wins, even if it's not enough for silverwear.

Would you really? By the second or third mid-lower part people will start the "Was that a fluke? are they has-beens?" etc discussions. There's never really an end to that. I'd much rather be always top 2-3 teams and winning games than mid-table and having won a few trophies. Because that means the team is winning a lot. I don't want to go watch losses. I want to go watch wins. There are 34 games in a season and I want to witness wins, even if it's not enough for silverwear.

Yea I would rather have silverware and realize that there is a rebuilding period. I enjoy watching a team that wins, of course. But winning all season but not winning when it counts... that gets old and you're known as the league bottlers. is that any better than "Was that a fluke?" I think it's worse. I think people can accept a rebuilding period vs constantly choking.

Didn’t watch. Had a soccer game. 0-0. Any highlights or bright spots?

Looks like Anton Tinnerholm significantly injured his Achilles. Tatty made a silly play against the Nashville Goalie and probably get another post game red card suspension.

bright spots - we looked like we wanted to play, though we were still hesitant to play those line breaking passes from the back. But, for a 4th game in 2 weeks, we played pretty well. unlucky on shots and willis made some good saves.

bad spots - tinnerholm's likely season ending injury and no goals.

Reactions: Kjbert
bright spots - we looked like we wanted to play, though we were still hesitant to play those line breaking passes from the back. But, for a 4th game in 2 weeks, we played pretty well. unlucky on shots and willis made some good saves.

bad spots - tinnerholm's likely season ending injury and no goals.
Shit I missed the Tinnerholm injury! I’ll have to see it on extended highlight video. Just got home from work. I split my pants :/

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: moogoo
3 in 13 if you count Leagues Cup. Listen, that's all true. This team has been incredibly poor over this recent stretch. I guess the calculation is which NYCFC do you believe is the "real" team? The one that tore through their schedule the first half of the year and had some unfortunate results? Or the team that has played much worse lately? I can see the argument for both sides, but I still think we have one of the most talented rosters in the league and eventually that talent has to shine through.

Maybe it doesn't. Maybe we miss the playoffs and there are massive changes this offseason. But I still believe in the roster. They deserve the benefit of the doubt, even with some important players having down seasons.
12/13 games in a 34 game season is not a “poor stretch”. It’s 40% of the GD season, man!

my biggest complaint today is the ref

he was just bad. kept blowing the whistle but it was for very inconsistent reasons. light fouls against us were not called against nashville. hard fouls not called, but light ones called. it made for a very choppy game and the frustration on everyone's faces (both sides) was pretty evident. we did get away with a red card in game, though as I predicted in the chat, disco will probably take it upon themselves to suspend taty again vs the red bulls.

and of course, the offsides call on callens goal. what happened to not raising the flag if there it's a tight call? i mean there is no obvious offsides and definitely so close that the linesman would not be able to make the call with 100% certainty.

also want to add, the starting xi is probably our current strongest starting xi.

having callens and chanot behind sands and parks really solidified our defense. defense seemed much more organized today and more solid through the middle. that being said... damn chanot! some flub every game? lol

Reactions: Gotham Gator
my biggest complaint today is the ref

he was just bad. kept blowing the whistle but it was for very inconsistent reasons. light fouls against us were not called against nashville. hard fouls not called, but light ones called. it made for a very choppy game and the frustration on everyone's faces (both sides) was pretty evident. we did get away with a red card in game, though as I predicted in the chat, disco will probably take it upon themselves to suspend taty again vs the red bulls.

and of course, the offsides call on callens goal. what happened to not raising the flag if there it's a tight call? i mean there is no obvious offsides and definitely so close that the linesman would not be able to make the call with 100% certainty.

also want to add, the starting xi is probably our current strongest starting xi.

having callens and chanot behind sands and parks really solidified our defense. defense seemed much more organized today and more solid through the middle. that being said... damn chanot! some flub every game? lol
I’ve kept my mouth shut about the officiating, for the most part, but today I started to think there is a conspiracy against NYCFC. It’s the lack of consistency. Nashville didn’t get a single yellow?
Thought the Greyellow was bullshit (have not reviewed it) but looked like the Nashville player actually put his body into grey on first look.
Another tough match. Thought we had at least four great chances. Need to be able to bury those once in awhile. Early in the match also. Damn.