Mls Refs And Thuggish Play

Davo15

Registered
May 20, 2014
Hamden CT
Listening to soccer morning in the car. Didn't see it but apparently DC were very physical defending Giovinco this weekend (not unlike we were) and at times in Jason Davis' opinion they crossed the line but the refs did not give out cards or at times even call fouls. I feel this happens to Villa at times. MLS to me seems to let a lot go that would be called in Europe which IMO can be detrimental to attractiveness of play. Does anyone else think Refs in this league call things differently and could dramatically improve? I have this sneaking suspicion it has something to do with the stereotypical American perception of soccer as a "Sissy or Pussy" sport etc. They try to let play run to appeal to casual American fans. Maybe that's an insane theory but I honestly sort of suspect that's part of it.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I remember Jermaine Jones with a flying scissor tackle into (i think) Dax Mccarty's knees last year that I thought should have been an arrest let alone a red card, and he just got a foul. MLS is very lenient to say the least. I have read theories similar to yours and some that say that some of our players would have red cards every game due to lacking technical ability. Who knows, but it is definitely a lenient league

Hopefully the league sends out a memo if they plan to change the way the refs call the games because if they do we need to get RJ Allen as far from the field as possible.

Joking aside, it's something the league should look into as it might start impacting the leagues ability to recruit star players. Although Mix said he came because he wanted a more physical league so maybe it goes both ways.

Yeah but there's physical leagues out there that don't approach this kind of stuff aren't there? I think the EPL and Bundesliga are alot more physical than La Liga or Serie A or South American leagues but they still generally protect flair players a bit more than this don't they?

Dont blame lax foul calling on refs or American fans. Blame footballers for years of diving and fooling refs. Thats why they are lax in MLS , and thats why MLS has a review board for dives, fines, and suspensions.

Dont blame lax foul calling on refs or American fans. Blame footballers for years of diving and fooling refs. Thats why they are lax in MLS , and thats why MLS has a review board for dives, fines, and suspensions.
I tend to agree with this. There have been some pretty hefty fines and suspensions to punish offenders. I do think MLS is physical but I don't think it's lenient.

Some of the referees on MLS matches I've watched to be honest seem to be more inline with HS refereeing then professionals.

Reactions: BxLio91