MLS - September 14 - Dallas (RBA) [Relocated]

Based on what I've seen in this stretch, the outcome of the season is as follow: Hopefully stay at the 3-4 seed for one home playoff game, win at Yankee Stadium, and then exit on the road.

Winning MLS Cup is about being good at the right time. We're not good at this time and we're looking like we're not going to be at the needed time.

Reactions: Kjbert and canchon
Based on what I've seen in this stretch, the outcome of the season is as follow: Hopefully stay at the 3-4 seed for one home playoff game, win at Yankee Stadium, and then exit on the road.

Winning MLS Cup is about being good at the right time. We're not good at this time and we're looking like we're not going to be at the needed time.

yup they will maybe win a game against a 6/7 seed at home and then promptly lose to Nashville or Orlando on the road. But yet CFG will say “we’re right there” and the FO will start calculating if NYCFC has the most points over the last six seasons.

I will be excited to see who we get to replace Medina and Chanot.
Medina I don't think needs to go. He was excellent out there today, and towards the end you could see he was gassed. But chanot I think we need to find a replacement. Callens is good, chanot past his prime. Let's see a solid defender come in thanks

Reactions: Schwallacus
Medina I don't think needs to go. He was excellent out there today, and towards the end you could see he was gassed. But chanot I think we need to find a replacement. Callens is good, chanot past his prime. Let's see a solid defender come in thanks

Medina hustled but gave the ball away a lot with bad passes and poor decisions. He works hard and has improved a lot, but he's not elite. We can and should try for better.

Medina hustled but gave the ball away a lot with bad passes and poor decisions. He works hard and has improved a lot, but he's not elite. We can and should try for better.
If we buy down that DP contract, I say keep him. If not, then yeah as a DP I agree.

Reactions: Kjbert
We just looked tired today. I think that's where the defensive mistakes came from, was the fatigue over the fixture congestion. Between the defensive breakdowns and the sloppy passing, we just looked tired.

Talles looked really good today -- definitely man of the match for me. So great to see Heber, and he looked much sharper than I'd have thought. Really think Ronny need to do some more rotating, because these guys look exhausted and we're going every 4th day the rest of the month.

Also, these RBA games are such an embarrassment. The team and MLS needs to figure something out for next year. It is beyond embarrassing to have less than 1,000 fans at a game like this. I understand why the fans aren't showing up, but the team needs to figure out something for next year if we can't play 17 games at Yankee Stadium. Because this is really not working. We can't have games with 500 fans in attendance.

We just looked tired today. I think that's where the defensive mistakes came from, was the fatigue over the fixture congestion. Between the defensive breakdowns and the sloppy passing, we just looked tired.

Every team in the league has pretty much the same schedule, it's not like we have an unusually congested schedule. Plus, the staff has known about the schedule since it came out. There's really no reason for not adequately preparing for a congested schedule, even if that's the main reason why these mistakes are happening.

I gotta say, Tinnerholm and SJ have really fallen off a cliff from prior seasons. Tinnerholm and Sands were responsible for the 1st goal, and I'd argue that Tinnerholm's bad positioning had a cascade effect that led to their 2nd goal. The 3rd Dallas goal wasn't even a good shot, SJ really needs to do better there. A low, poorly-hit shot at the near post has to be saved, and SJ let it roll under him.

I know the stats guys out there say that we have one of the best teams in the league and our xG is incredibly high, our defense isn't that leaky, and Gudi is one of the best crossers in the league. But we've only won 1 out of our last 5 games and dropped points to Chicago and Toronto. We make silly mental mistakes almost every game that costs us goals. And we don't finish a whole lot of our chances.

Between on-field mistakes and the frankly calamitous off-field situation (worst attendance in the league, no real home stadium), I predict another first round playoff exit vs a team like Philly or DC United. It's so frustrating because there really is a lot of talent on the squad. Also, wtf was that 95' sub on a free kick with a tie game?? Baffling Delia decision.

The guy who scored two goals tonight was literally crapped on by Dallas fans because he is so bad. It’s one thing for Pepi to go supernova and score 2 but NYCFC let literally what might be the worst player on their team score 2 goals.

this team is fatally flawed. If this is NE or Seattle or one of the top teams this game is a 3-1 win.
I mean, Medina got a goal and an assist too

Why are we shitting on Chanot when Callens was the one who left all that space open for the second goal?

Very frustrating game. We looked so good in attack, but brain farts led to a draw in a game set up for 3 points.

Why are we shitting on Chanot when Callens was the one who left all that space open for the second goal?

Disagree, Callens was left out to dry by Tinnerholm.

Tinnerholm was in no-mans land in the leadup to the goal, before the pass to Pepi. He should have stayed with the sideline runner (#11 I think), but he didn't. So Sands shifted over, putting him almost on the touchline. That left a huge hole between Sands and Callens, where Fererria ran through for the goal. Unlucky that Callens's deflection put it in, but that was a breakdown in team defense, starting with bad positioning from Tinnerholm.

Every team in the league has pretty much the same schedule, it's not like we have an unusually congested schedule. Plus, the staff has known about the schedule since it came out. There's really no reason for not adequately preparing for a congested schedule, even if that's the main reason why these mistakes are happening.

Yep -- Deila and his staff have not done nearly a good enough job of rotating the squad. Feels like he's doing a bit more of that recently, but earlier in this stretch he wasn't.

I gotta say, Tinnerholm and SJ have really fallen off a cliff from prior seasons. Tinnerholm and Sands were responsible for the 1st goal, and I'd argue that Tinnerholm's bad positioning had a cascade effect that led to their 2nd goal. The 3rd Dallas goal wasn't even a good shot, SJ really needs to do better there. A low, poorly-hit shot at the near post has to be saved, and SJ let it roll under him.

I know the stats guys out there say that we have one of the best teams in the league and our xG is incredibly high, our defense isn't that leaky, and Gudi is one of the best crossers in the league. But we've only won 1 out of our last 5 games and dropped points to Chicago and Toronto. We make silly mental mistakes almost every game that costs us goals. And we don't finish a whole lot of our chances.

Between on-field mistakes and the frankly calamitous off-field situation (worst attendance in the league, no real home stadium), I predict another first round playoff exit vs a team like Philly or DC United. It's so frustrating because there really is a lot of talent on the squad. Also, wtf was that 95' sub on a free kick with a tie game?? Baffling Delia decision.
In agreement about Tinnerholm and SJ. I see a significant drop off in their game. Not that they are terrible, they just don’t… inspire.

Reactions: Schwallacus

Perhaps this next run of Red Bull games will give the team a little bit of that swagger they had in the middle of the season?

Perhaps this next run of Red Bull games will give the team a little bit of that swagger they had in the middle of the season?

After Cincy NYCFC will have 10 games left and 30% of them will be against RBNJ.

also those away games to Miami and Atlanta are not looking so easy now.

Reactions: moogoo

yeap. both miami and atlanta are having a resurgence. they aren't the gimme games they were first half of the season...

Good Christmas I was thinking the same thing.
Plus there’s Playoff contenders D.C., Philly and Nashville at Home and you see what we just did with 10th place Dallas at home.
Also we play Chicago again on the road and you know how that went last time.
Let’s hope the road doldrums end in Cincinnati.

Good Christmas I was thinking the same thing.
Plus there’s Playoff contenders D.C., Philly and Nashville at Home and you see what we just did with 10th place Dallas at home.
Also we play Chicago again on the road and you know how that went last time.
Let’s hope the road doldrums end in Cincinnati.

Next five games: Cincinnati (away), RBNJ (away), RBNJ (home), Chicago (away), Nashville (home).

if NYCFC is going to make a move up the table they better start winning now and getting some damn away wins.

Atlanta just crushed Cincinnati 4-0.

Ronny said in his preview for the cinci game, the last minute sub for this game was to waste time and get the draw.

couldn't he have cancelled the sub when he saw we had a free kick with 30 seconds/1 minute left on the clock? seems like a pretty bonehead decision to me. sure our defense was kinda shaky but was he really that worried we'd give up a goal at the death after trying to score off a free kick?

of course it didn't help that we didn't send the free kick into the box and instead tried to play short and out wide. bad decisions all around imho.