MLS - September 7 - Cincinnati (Home)

Passing map from last night against Cincy (look at Callens):

View attachment 12242

Passing map from the D.C. debacle:

View attachment 12243

It is clear that a change was implemented in conjunction with the 3 CB formation that shifted Johnson left and had him play the ball almost exclusively to Chanot/Martins on the right. The backiine, at times, was virtually Johnson/Chanot/Martins.

That own goal was a mess, but I am more convinced than ever that the new tactical shift was the primary cause.

As an aside, regardless of result, it was good to see Cushing and the team try "something" to get out of the funk.
Another big one is #12 - A lot less Amundsen. Which I think makes sense.

Some FC Cincy stuff ended up in my Twitter feed last night (I think it's because I Quote Tweeted a FC Cincy tweet) and they are all super pissed that it wasn't a penalty, saying that Thiago Martins continued to hold him into the box.

I thought this in real time and it seems more obvious after the fact, but really wanted Thiago Martins to foul him immediately when the ball was played. It was clear he was going to get beat, foul him before he's past you so it's only a yellow.

totally agree. should have fouled him sooner. like someone else said, doesn't look like martins is back to top form yet. maybe lost a step or two or simply didn't realize the FCC attacker was that quick. take the yellow next time. ah well. he'll have time to think about it.

Regarding the parking, I heard some people presuming it may have been due to the US Open/USTA purchasing the lot from Citi Field for the US Open. NYCFC probably had to "officially"/legally state that they were unable to use that lot for the game, hence the tweet. However, no one in their right mind was going to have the parking attendants check people's tickets to check if they were there for the US Open or for NYCFC, so we were actually allowed to park in the Citi Field lot. I presume it was an annoying legal matter to state that the lot was only for the US Open, even if in reality there were a ton of NYCFC people parking there.

Regarding the game, the tie blows but I agree we are starting to look better. Granted Cincy didn't have Lucho in their squad, but we did well to hold Vazquez in check. He must give CB's a headache knowing they have to battle a behemoth of a dude for headers and 50/50 balls. Hope he gets a chance with the USMNT, would love to see him holding up the ball for Gio and Pulisic.

Anyone else feel it was weird for Gabi to take his shirt off for a goal in the 40th minute? Was it the release of stress for the team not scoring in what seems like forever? Weird celebration for a 1st half goal.

Regarding the parking, I heard some people presuming it may have been due to the US Open/USTA purchasing the lot from Citi Field for the US Open. NYCFC probably had to "officially"/legally state that they were unable to use that lot for the game, hence the tweet. However, no one in their right mind was going to have the parking attendants check people's tickets to check if they were there for the US Open or for NYCFC, so we were actually allowed to park in the Citi Field lot. I presume it was an annoying legal matter to state that the lot was only for the US Open, even if in reality there were a ton of NYCFC people parking there.

The parking guys were like "soccer? this way" so nah they knew it was for soccer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

not a smile in sight. but no one's death stare is as good as callens's . i'll take it

cmurzrqu7jt0ofmjcwnr.jpg

View attachment 12244
the look of a man who knows he's about 22 minutes away from one of the best own goals in league history

if not for that own goal, he'd still be top of league with the most clean sheets. what's the record? 17? he's still got a chance to get it. but blake is right there too and we're going to charlotte missing 2 of our CBs