New York City Fc And Yes Network Reach Multi-year Agreement

No, calling insisting that local cultural norms are invalid such as insisting on calling it soccer when inEngland does that.

There's plenty of people in England who have used the term soccer. Let alone there's a famous tv show in England called "Soccer AM" lol.

95% of the world calls it football. We only call it soccer here because we use "football" for a stupid sport that isn't even played with the foot. Soccer even derives from Association Football. The sport is football. Americans need to get over it.
But US football is derived from the same pre-1840s unorganized sport as is soccer. They are both entitled to the heritage. and the name. That's when association football and rugby football formally split, and every sport that is derived from either is called football. Australian rules football. Gaelic football. Canadian football. I think that's awesome.
It has nothing to do with kicking a ball. And for whatever reasons, pretty much every English speaking country except England has historically used the same convention as the US. Australia only switched from using the term soccer to football in 2005 as part of a rebranding effort because their old soccer association was corrupt. Of course on that theory FIFA should rebrand. So now Australia has 2 sports called football, and if that's what they want to do good for them and when I visit Australia I'll call them both football, plus NFL football, and we'll all be confused and get drunk together.

Like I said, I have no preference except for common usage. If in 10 years most of the US wants to call NFL football something like"gridiron rugby," and MLS rebrands to MLF, I'll happily go along. Until then it's soccer. Even if only here.
If everyone in the world is supposed to use the same word for everything we'd be speaking Esperanto.

Reactions: Vallos
I think it's fine to use Football and Soccer interchangeable . You might get some stick for which you use depending on side of the Atlantic but people will understand what you mean either way and they'll be the one's being asses IMO if they don't let it go.

I personally love the New York City name. I think most soccer or football fans over here would prefer it to an american sports style Knights or Wildcats etc. Or an MLS 1.0 as they call it like Galaxy or Revolution. I do know some non soccer followers get lost on it though. A co worker questioned it being the best name we could come up with but right here in Connecticut a minor league baseball team just relocated and changed from being "The Rock Cats" to "The Yard Goats" so I think case in point right there LOL.

I think a lot of people around her refer to New York as THE CITY so it works in that respect as well as the fact that it's not Just a Manchester City thing but Leicester City , Coventry City etc. It doesn't just sound like we're ripping off our Co Owned club but just very natural and normal to me. Something we could onto if CFG ever pulled out. Much better than United which makes no sense for a new team that isn't uniting two previous clubs. Or Real for a team that isn't blessed by Spanish royalty and so on..

Reactions: Paul and mgarbowski
There's plenty of people in England who have used the term soccer. Let alone there's a famous tv show in England called "Soccer AM" lol.
No kidding, just as the term football is not unknown here. But if you went around "correcting" people in England who indicated a preference for the term football that would be rude.

No kidding, just as the term football is not unknown here. But if you went around "correcting" people in England who indicated a preference for the term football that would be rude.

You should go there and correct them, we can't allow people to have there own opinions smh lol.

Just about every team with "City" in its name is called "City" for short: Manchester City, Coventry City, Bristol City, Leicester City -- even Orlando City! New York City should be treated the same.

I am very happy to see that the socks say "City" on them. But even before I saw that, I had taken naturally to calling the team "City". For example: "The City-Galaxy game in August is going to be a huge event."

So about the YES network......

I really hate that they call it "YES" when most people think of that word as an answer to a question. Whenever I hear someone say it's on YES, I think to myself "great, it's on, but what channel?" and they say "YES" and i'm like "what channel" and it goes on and on. If only they had come up with a better name!

We finally play actual games, and we have four people talking about the game and everyone else bickering about garbage

Reactions: Paul
So about the YES network......

I really hate that they call it "YES" when most people think of that word as an answer to a question. Whenever I hear someone say it's on YES, I think to myself "great, it's on, but what channel?" and they say "YES" and i'm like "what channel" and it goes on and on. If only they had come up with a better name!
Point taken. Clever.:cool:

Just about every team with "City" in its name is called "City" for short: Manchester City, Coventry City, Bristol City, Leicester City -- even Orlando City! New York City should be treated the same.

I am very happy to see that the socks say "City" on them. But even before I saw that, I had taken naturally to calling the team "City". For example: "The City-Galaxy game in August is going to be a huge event."
I'll add to that: the quicker NYCFC calls itself "City", the more it will be theirs than it'll be Orlando's.

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
I'll add to that: the quicker NYCFC calls itself "City", the more it will be theirs than it'll be Orlando's.
Most fans don't want the name, because NYC fans are not aren't Man City fans. We want our fan culture to stand on it's own. So the more people understand that the more you and Ferdinand Cesarano Ferdinand Cesarano will get why the nickname "city" isn't catching on here with fans. It more likely for "FC" to catch on with fans on radio the "city". As you saw NYC won the poll by a lot. New York City and New York is what the team is being call on the radio and TV. It's for the best that everyone just let go of "city" for our team. It's nothing going to catch on.

Most fans don't want the name, because NYC fans are not aren't Man City fans. We want our fan culture to stand on it's own. So the more people understand that the more you and Ferdinand Cesarano Ferdinand Cesarano will get why the nickname "city" isn't catching on here with fans. It more likely for "FC" to catch on with fans on radio the "city". As you saw NYC won the poll by a lot. New York City and New York is what the team is being call on the radio and TV. It's for the best that everyone just let go of "city" for our team. It's nothing going to catch on.
While that's understandable, being owned by CFG will never allow the team to completely get away from the term "City". It just doesn't seem likely with the word being in the official team name. I feel most people are overreacting with it, trying to distance the team from a "sister" club/ownership. It's simple, easy to say and should be synonymous with "NYC".

While that's understandable, being owned by CFG will never allow the team to completely get away from the term "City". It just doesn't seem likely with the word being in the official team name. I feel most people are overreacting with it, trying to distance the team from a "sister" club/ownership. It's simple, easy to say and should be synonymous with "NYC".
Look this thread has been derailed long, the team has/will try to get City going, but the majority of fans are rejecting the name and are coming up with alternatives. Now to relate this back to the purpose of the thread, one of those will get picked up on by Tolleson and Joy and we will here more off i.e. the 5 families of NYC FC.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT