New York City Fc And Yes Network Reach Multi-year Agreement

I hear him a lot covering Serie A on beIN Sports, and I have to be honest, to me it sounded forced and felt unnatural. I never hear him say AS Roma, or Juventus Football Club, etc. it's always just Roma or Juve/Juventus. Perhaps I'm just letting it bother me more than I should.
Yeah, no offense but it might be a you thing. For him it sounds fine but he also said NYC once or twice and Tolleson calls us New York.

I had no issues with Tolleson, I thought he did a good job. I've had issues with Joy for a couple years now, so that's my personal bias against him. I just found it odd.

Reactions: The Toe
I hear him a lot covering Serie A on beIN Sports, and I have to be honest, to me it sounded forced and felt unnatural. I never hear him say AS Roma, or Juventus Football Club, etc. it's always just Roma or Juve/Juventus. Perhaps I'm just letting it bother me more than I should.
It didn't necessarily bother me, but I have the same idea as you. When I watch Man City play the announcers usually say Manchester, Manchester City, or City (Citeh). I have never once heard them say Manchester City Football Club. Just kind of strange to me.

I've never been a fan of the name of the club, it's awkward and sounds weird which ever way people say it out loud. Saying football club is probably just because saying New York City sounds like you are talking about the city and not a soccer team. And NYCFC sounds dumb too. But I got over it, we really do need some kind of nickname. The city voice suggestions made me cringe for the most part but I did like "Roughnecks." Those dudes are badass and have no fear, also pretty much built New York City. Doesn't even have to be official in the name, just similar to how people refer to Everton as the Toffees.
image.jpg

I've never been a fan of the name of the club, it's awkward and sounds weird which ever way people say it out loud. Saying football club is probably just because saying New York City sounds like you are talking about the city and not a soccer team. And NYCFC sounds dumb too.

You're in the minority. I don't think I ever heard anyone complain about the team name. Best team name in the league, imho. Glad we didn't get a stupid made up name like the New York City Straphangers.

Reactions: Paul
You're in the minority. I don't think I ever heard anyone complain about the team name. Best team name in the league, imho. Glad we didn't get a stupid made up name like the New York City Straphangers.
I've almost never made an issue of it because how many things am I going to complain about and I decided to just make my peace with this, but since you brought it up...

1. We're not in Europe and don't name teams this way.
2. Especially pointless since it's not an actual club created from the ground up by volunteers and community leaders. I particularly don't like adopting a convention built on a tradition while ignoring and rejecting the actual tradition.
3. We don't call it football here. The New York football club would be the Giants, except they're in NJ. As are the Jets.
4. Seven syllable name.
5. Five-syllable acronym.
6. No pleasant rhythm to either one.
7. Despite the ungainliness, there is still no consensus what to call the team for short. Which should have started somehow by now. But all the likely candidates have substantial factions that hate them.
8. Because the most likely shorthand for New York City Football Club, is "City," and substantial numbers of folks on both sides of the Atlantic would find that annoying.
9. You can call them "New York" but every team in NY is already called that in context; this team needs a unique ID.
10. New York City belongs to the city, not a team. Unlike MC, for example, where nobody calls the city Manchester City.
11. Same for NYC.
12. I say the name to friends and family who haven't heard of the team and they generally think it's the dumbest, most boring, long-winded name they've ever heard. Sometimes I wonder why they didn't put the word "Generic" in front of it. And yes most of these people are not the target, but it would be nice not to have to digress with an explanation about the name whenever I mention going to a game, for example.

And I could go on.

But now I've gotten that out of my system I'm not going to argue about it. It's not going to change and I'd rather focus on other stuff. And if you like it -- good! From what I can tell I AM in a minority in that MLS seems to have determined that these sort of names work.*

Finally, as shorthand I'm partial to CFC even though it has many of the above flaws. Sometimes logic doesn't rule. I just think it has the best rhythm of the alternatives.

* I will however always pronounce RSL as "REEL" Salt Lake just to be contrary.

Reactions: FCRU
I like the name. Feels like a real professional club name and not a high school team name. It is the same number of syllables as a lot of other clubs. Proud that it identifies the team as part of New York City and not the whole state, etc.

I've almost never made an issue of it because how many things am I going to complain about and I decided to just make my peace with this, but since you brought it up...

2. Especially pointless since it's not an actual club created from the ground up by volunteers and community leaders. I particularly don't like adopting a convention built on a tradition while ignoring and rejecting the actual tradition.
3. We don't call it football here. The New York football club would be the Giants, except they're in NJ. As are the Jets.
4. Seven syllable name.
7. Despite the ungainliness, there is still no consensus what to call the team for short. Which should have started somehow by now. But all the likely candidates have substantial factions that hate them.
8. Because the most likely shorthand for New York City Football Club, is "City," and substantial numbers of folks on both sides of the Atlantic would find that annoying.
9. You can call them "New York" but every team in NY is already called that in context; this team needs a unique ID.
10. New York City belongs to the city, not a team. Unlike MC, for example, where nobody calls the city Manchester City.
11. Same for NYC.
12. I say the name to friends and family who haven't heard of the team and they generally think it's the dumbest, most boring, long-winded name they've ever heard. Sometimes I wonder why they didn't put the word "Generic" in front of it. And yes most of these people are not the target, but it would be nice not to have to digress with an explanation about the name whenever I mention going to a game, for example.

And I could go on.

But now I've gotten that out of my system I'm not going to argue about it. It's not going to change and I'd rather focus on other stuff. And if you like it -- good! From what I can tell I AM in a minority in that MLS seems to have determined that these sort of names work.*

Finally, as shorthand I'm partial to CFC even though it has many of the above flaws. Sometimes logic doesn't rule. I just think it has the best rhythm of the alternatives.

Wow, dude.

4. Seven syllable name.
11. Same for NYC.

And I could go on.

Giants and Jets play handegg, This is a football club.

I agree with Mr. Garbowski, we aren't a Football Club.

I am now grateful Celestes caught on for some us. They are using in the Spanish broadcast, Catch Tolleson or Joy or the radio guy on twitter and help get one of the English nicknames we have already pick going. Or how about get it treading on twitter during the game to along with #NYCFConYES and they will get the hint. Cause guess what they are still looking for a nickname, another thing to call them too. We as fans need to make that obvious.

Reactions: BxLio91 and Golazo
All the Canadians I met are super nice lol.
And they call use the same football/soccer terminology as we do. And are probably as interested as I am in discussing the merits of it. My position is local usage rules. You want to call soccer football, do it elsewhere. If I ever move to England I'll start calling it football because I'm not an ass. And when discussing the EPL I might say football to fit in. But here it's soccer.

Reactions: Vallos
And they call use the same football/soccer terminology as we do. And are probably as interested as I am in discussing the merits of it. My position is local usage rules. You want to call soccer football, do it elsewhere. If I ever move to England I'll start calling it football because I'm not an ass. And when discussing the EPL I might say football to fit in. But here it's soccer.

Calling it football makes you a ass? It's a foot and a ball pretty simple. Last I checked its a free country, no reason to be bitter cause others have different views or opinions lol take it easy.

Reactions: Drainyoo

95% of the world calls it football. We only call it soccer here because we use "football" for a stupid sport that isn't even played with the foot. Soccer even derives from Association Football. The sport is football. Americans need to get over it.

Calling it football makes you a ass? It's a foot and a ball pretty simple. Last I checked its a free country, no reason to be bitter cause others have different views or opinions lol take it easy.
No, calling insisting that local cultural norms are invalid such as insisting on calling it soccer when inEngland does that.