Nick Chavez: Eirik Johansen to Start

It's kind of funny/ironic, people are always asking folks to spill what "insider" info they may have, please refer to the Stadium Mega Thread. Then you get a guy like Nick Chavez Nick Chavez sharing what he's getting in good faith and folks mock & bash him if it doesn't pan out. That's a good way to make sure any lines of information dry up.

Thanks for the support, Tom, but I can handle it and I'm going to share stuff that I think might be true either way. But you're right, other people may want to avoid the backlash if their sources end up being wrong and may keep it to themselves, so that is something to consider.

But, I can handle the wise-cracks, banter, whatever. Just don't call me dishonest, or say I'm making shit up, because it simply isn't true, never has been true and never will be true.

Reactions: Goodfella
I think the fact that Viera wants Iraola to be prepared to play in a Back 3 is all you need to know about Mena's future with the club.

Iraola should based on his background be a much more skilled player and he's tall enough to play CB so it's not unreasonable that be would beat out Mena for a spot in a 3 man backline. Plus it's still an outside spot that does help with attack from time to time. The much bigger indicator of how little PV thinks of Mena is the fact that he can't even make the bench with White being hurt. We have been going with Martinez as the only defensive sub. Maybe PV would just slide Bravo to CB or more Iraola or Martinez inside. Still doesn't look good that a natural CB making some where near $300k isn't a better option than playing players out of position.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Also he stated that he didn't want to accept a contract from NYCFC for less money than what he was making with the Chiefs.
http://nysportshub.com/mashamaite-reveals-contract-issues-with-nycfc/

He was making R180,000 a month at the Chiefs.
At his new Swedish club, BK Hacken, he's making ......................R144,000. A reduction of R36,000 a month.
:(

And I think I'm finally tired from kicking the dead horse, I'll just go back to the corner and dream of a better defensive grouping

Also he stated that he didn't want to accept a contract from NYCFC for less money than what he was making with the Chiefs.
http://nysportshub.com/mashamaite-reveals-contract-issues-with-nycfc/

He was making R180,000 a month at the Chiefs.
At his new Swedish club, BK Hacken, he's making ......................R144,000. A reduction of R36,000 a month.
:(

And I think I'm finally tired from kicking the dead horse, I'll just go back to the corner and dream of a better defensive grouping

Why do you assume Tefu is any better than the rest of our CBs? Granted the bar is pretty low but it's not like the team didn't get a good look at him. What we know about him:

1. He played his whole career and was one of the better players in a league most would consider to be on a lower tier than the MLS.
2. He was on trial for a considerable period of time with NYCFC, we got a good look at him and decided to pass
3. He ended up going to a league that is possibly at the level of MLS or maybe below it.

Other than the fact that a few SA journalists showed up on these forums and hyped us all up about him none of the other things we know imply that he's actually any good. While the decision making of our talent evaluators can be questionable I find it hard to believe they got that good of a look at him and ended up passing on a guy that truly would have been an upgrade for our D.

Might I remind everybody that the same head coach that drafted Grabavoy and Wingert also passed on Tefu and Grella. The cherry is that this coach thought Calle was the second coming.... Chew on that for a bit before discounting Tefu.

Reactions: Kjbert
Why do you assume Tefu is any better than the rest of our CBs? Granted the bar is pretty low but it's not like the team didn't get a good look at him. What we know about him:

1. He played his whole career and was one of the better players in a league most would consider to be on a lower tier than the MLS.
2. He was on trial for a considerable period of time with NYCFC, we got a good look at him and decided to pass
3. He ended up going to a league that is possibly at the level of MLS or maybe below it.

Other than the fact that a few SA journalists showed up on these forums and hyped us all up about him none of the other things we know imply that he's actually any good. While the decision making of our talent evaluators can be questionable I find it hard to believe they got that good of a look at him and ended up passing on a guy that truly would have been an upgrade for our D.

That's very true. He could have been garbage and not have contributed to the team at all. He also wanted more money from us then what he is making at BK Hacken. I believe the money issue and the potential of Mena was the ultimate reason for us not signing him, not his skills. If at the very least he was a bench player (like Mena is now) and signed the same contract as his current one for BK Hackenthen I would have sign that contract in a heartbeat (also I realize that's a few ifs)

His $116,173.05 salary would be lower than Shay Facey's last year ($120,000), Jason Hernandez's ($175,000), Jefferson Mena's ($200,00), Ethan White's ($125,000), and Fredric Brillant's (transfermarket.com has his value at €700,000, which I find extremely unlikely, so I'm probably reading that wrong)

He was a leader on a championship team, the best player in his league, a defender who commited hardly an fouls, and was known to score goals on set peices using his head. Now that was in another league, and we only have to look as far as Iraola and Lampard to show us what potential vs reality really is, but as of right now, yea I would have definitely liked Reyna to have signed him over Mena. He would at the very least provided a little leadership on the bench.

Anyways it's all water under the bridge now, so all of this is just conversational fantasy. I'm just hoping we can dump a few players and tweek the roster for the summer. Hopefully slowly build this team up piece by piece (and I mean everywhere, not just the d)

Reactions: Gene and gbservis
We passed on Tim Parker for Khiry Shelton...

I'm a fan of the Shelton move in the long run - but even I have to admit that was the right move.

In fairness, NO ONE knew he would be that good. And we're not the only team that passed on him. You could argue that Orlando should have taken him #1 right now.