Nick Cushing Named Interim Head Coach (July '22) / Head Coach (November '22)

What Are Your Thoughts on Cushing as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Pleased

• Pleased

• Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
I thought it was fair to give Cush 10 games to start the season. It feels like it's getting late early for Nick though. We finished last year as a competent team. We returned most of that team with a few nice to have pieces added to the roster. We somehow look significantly worse than we did the last month or two of last year.

It's all on Cushing right now.

I thought it was fair to give Cush 10 games to start the season. It feels like it's getting late early for Nick though. We finished last year as a competent team. We returned most of that team with a few nice to have pieces added to the roster. We somehow look significantly worse than we did the last month or two of last year.

It's all on Cushing right now.

I agree. MLS media is even starting to speculate, which seems to usually start happening very late in the process. I thought 10 or 11 games was fair, but if we continue to play like this with no results, he's not going to make it that long. Ten games was based on the team looking competent.

I agree. MLS media is even starting to speculate, which seems to usually start happening very late in the process. I thought 10 or 11 games was fair, but if we continue to play like this with no results, he's not going to make it that long. Ten games was based on the team looking competent.
The team also did not look great in preseason except when our A squad played against a B Squad. I never, ever draw conclusions from preseason during preseason in any sport, because over decades I've seen so many teams kill it then flop, or the reverse. But after the season starts and there is continuity, well, .... Add in his cumulative record and something has to give. Things could still turn. I've seen less likely reversals. But I think it has to be fast.

Do you think CFG tries to save face by “promoting” Nick to another position in Manchester? Basically getting recalled back to the mothership?
Aliens Ufo GIF by Ski Mask The Slump God

• Haha
Reactions: Gotham Gator
Do you think CFG tries to save face by “promoting” Nick to another position in Manchester? Basically getting recalled back to the mothership?
Aliens Ufo GIF by Ski Mask The Slump God

If it's time for Nick to go, I don't really care how he leaves. If that's the way it happens, as long as he's gone it's OK by me. Whether he's fired or fired with a soft landing, doesn't change anything for us.

If it's time for Nick to go, I don't really care how he leaves. If that's the way it happens, as long as he's gone it's OK by me. Whether he's fired or fired with a soft landing, doesn't change anything for us.
Agreed, the only thing that matters for us is who they replace him with or name interim and how the players respond to that person. Is it Mehdi time at least for a few games?

Agreed, the only thing that matters for us is who they replace him with or name interim and how the players respond to that person. Is it Mehdi time at least for a few games?

I hope they bring in an established professional coach. I even wouldn't be opposed to a coach with MLS experience; I kind of wish they'd have looked at Caleb Porter when he was available this offseason.

I know Mehdi's been on our coaching staff for a while, but I want a guy with experience as head coach.

I hope they bring in an established professional coach. I even wouldn't be opposed to a coach with MLS experience; I kind of wish they'd have looked at Caleb Porter when he was available this offseason.

I know Mehdi's been on our coaching staff for a while, but I want a guy with experience as head coach.
bored bruce arena GIF by LA Galaxy

Reactions: twsj91
Barrazza
Gray
O'Toole
Martins
Haak
Parks
Sands*
Santi
Jasson
Magno

Off the top of my head, that's the core group of players Cush inherited in 2022 that was aged mid-20s and younger to build a team around, who are still on the roster.

Is any one of those players a noticeably better player today than they were 2 years ago?

This was supposed to be a team built around developing young talent and I'm not sure any of that core has really improved during some of their most key development years.

I'd be fine with either Bradley or Savarese, I'm not a huge Arenas fan but he has been successful so he's probably not a bad option. Given the club's roster moves and past coaches, I can't see CFG hiring anyone with the majority of their credentials being MLS. The club doesn't even value players with MLS experience, the last MLS veteran-type player the club signed even just for roster depth was Tony Roacha and I can't think of who came before that. I fully expect us to get an interim manager for a few games while CFG sorts out which Euro-centric CFG insider they want to send over next.

I also think CFG is going to be hard-pressed to get any of the big-name former MLS coaches listed above to go along with their current roster construction methods of spending the vast majority of their transfer budget exclusively on very young unproven players. Can you imagine what the post-game press conferences would sound like if any of those coaches or even Dome had ended last season the way we did and then been given the new players we just signed in the off-season as a solution? I am certain all of them would be throwing Lee and CFG under the bus for not giving them any veteran stability and proven players to help right the ship. Even if they wanted to play nice they would be using veiled hints by saying things like, you win in this league with veteran leadership and experience and we just don't have that yet.

If/when Cushing gets the axe the new guy is going to be another City Football Group toady.

thing is, i think all their coaches are also in middle of seasons. if they go the CFG route, they will have to put someone as "interim" until summer when there are coaching movements.

i still dont know wtf happened with him an new england. i dont know if he is blacklisted.
Yeah not much has been publicized, but it was reported that he interviewed with a couple teams so I'm assuming he is eligible or within reach of eligibility.

Anyways, I was not actually advocating for Arena. I don't he is the right guy for this team at this time, but I liked the gif and he fits the bill of available ex-MLS coach.

Reactions: mgarbowski