Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Sucks that he's leaving now, but I get that it's a great opportunity for him. Thankful that he brought us a championship and wish him the best of luck at Liege.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think I feel ok about this over previous mid season departures for a number of reasons.

1. We won the cup last year so everything the club does for me I will give the benefit of the doubt. Additionally we are in a good spot in the season and good results also helps with seeing news in the best light.
2. We have a lot of continuity, coaching staff remaining not too changed just shuffled responsibilities. I know many wanted nick to step up during the ronnyout times, he has a winning pedigree with the man City women, and I think he can continue the culture which drives us. We also have a good squad and a new coach who shouldn't tinker too much.
3. It was quick and all done during the break, no will he won't he sagas, he got offered the job and he left with even a bit of time to spare for the new coaching staff to prep for the next game.

We will miss Ronny for sure but this is about as good as it could have gone for a mid-season change.

I am assuming the fee can’t be used for roster purposes
I agree with the comment that this isn’t as bad because it’s a break and there is continuity.
good luck, Ronny, and thanks

I think the team was expecting this would happen back when Ronny was appointed, which is why we also brought in Medhi and Cushing.
And it's clear to i think all of us that Cushing is going to take over and Medhi probably becoming chief assistant.

And I also have a weird feeling that Cushing is being groomed for the Man City post in the future, so if he does become head coach, it might be for a few years until Pep leaves.
I think this is spot on. Ronny's contract ran through 6.30.23, so a mid-season move was likely always in the cards. And it's entirely possible Cushing is in fact being groomed for the big job, although there are a couple other plausible scenarios. All of which are good, and some of which are extremely good. ;)

We'll be fine.

I was a DeilaOut guy who wanted Cushing to take over so I'm obviously fine with this. Will always have respect for Deila winning our first championship

His contract runs through June 2023, oddly.
Ronny's contract ran through 6.30.23, so a mid-season move was likely always in the cards.
Where does this June 2023 information originate? Yesterday Tom Bogert reported at MLS that his contract expired year end 2022, like normal. They tried to work out an extension, but failed.
In the aftermath of winning MLS Cup, Deila and the front office began talking about a contract extension. Deila’s deal was set to expire at the end of 2022. No agreement was reached and talks continued throughout the beginning of this season, while clubs in Europe identified him as a potential candidate.​

Where does this June 2023 information originate? Yesterday Tom Bogert reported at MLS that his contract expired year end 2022, like normal. They tried to work out an extension, but failed.
In the aftermath of winning MLS Cup, Deila and the front office began talking about a contract extension. Deila’s deal was set to expire at the end of 2022. No agreement was reached and talks continued throughout the beginning of this season, while clubs in Europe identified him as a potential candidate.​
It was on transfermrkt

Reactions: KevinJRogers