Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Apparently liege fans are upset because he joined with a 3 year plan and now jumping

Karma Karmas A Bitch GIF by SVU

It sounds like he's taking over at the start of the season, so he's finishing the year with Liege.
The article says the opposite.
"After having led the training sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday, the T1 announced this Thursday morning its choice to join Bruges. This announcement results in his immediate departure from Standard."

Reactions: Shwafta
The article says the opposite.
"After having led the training sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday, the T1 announced this Thursday morning its choice to join Bruges. This announcement results in his immediate departure from Standard."

I thought I read something different. Crazy. Leaving with two games left is such a strange thing to do. But sure, very on-brand.

I thought I read something different. Crazy. Leaving with two games left is such a strange thing to do. But sure, very on-brand.

It's not all that uncommon. The hiring club wants everything nailed down as soon as possible and it's very hard to keep things quiet once that is done. Southampton (about to be relegated to Championship) has been openly negotiating with Swansea (currently in Championship) manager Russel Martin for weeks. Word is they have an unofficial deal and now the Saints are negotiating with Swansea for compensation.

The NFL has rules against it, even for current assistant coaches with a chance for HC/manager jobs, because they don't want teams having their staff disrupted during playoffs. But that rarely is an issue in European soccer. Also US pro sports doesn't have the big team/little team dichotomy to the same extent Euro soccer does, so you do not see as much HC/manager hopping as a byproduct of personal ambition.

College football does have a very clear big school-little school dynamic and many bigger schools hire a coach away from a lesser CFB school in the time between the regular season and bowl games, because bowl games don't matter even though they pretend they do. I'm curious to see if that changes when the playoffs expands to 12 teams and if CFB tries to limit it. I could easily see a big school in an off year missing the playoffs, and wanting to hire the HC of a lesser school ranked 8-12 and in the playoffs while the playoffs are happening. What a mess that will be.

I think it's funny Ronny did it twice in less than 12 months. Losing him at this point in their season is probably less disruptive than halfway through ours last year, but they also only had him one year and did not have much chance to progress. We did get a MLS Cup out of it.

Which is why I generally don’t think it will happen, but they don’t know how to go outside the network.

Who is coaching the team in Uruguay? Are they any good? Maybe he’ll get the job.
It's certainly possible that the team in Uruguay could get a coach with the right qualifications and experience to turn things around. It's important to remember that a coach can only do so much, though. Ultimately, success will come down to how well the players perform on the field and how hard they work.

Reactions: Kjbert
From a quick glance, brugge don't seem to be doing so well in the table. Anyone know if Deila is on the verge? I don't follow Belgian 1st division.

Club Brugge also led the league in both Goal Differential and xGoal Differential. Yet they lost more games than the three teams who finished ahead of them. Every loss was by one goal. If you think luck has minimal effect in one goal soccer results and rather that the coach has a significant ability to avoid one goal losses, then firing Deila makes sense.

Club Brugge also led the league in both Goal Differential and xGoal Differential. Yet they lost more games than the three teams who finished ahead of them. Every loss was by one goal. If you think luck has minimal effect in one goal soccer results and rather that the coach has a significant ability to avoid one goal losses, then firing Deila makes sense.
Lol they finished the season in 4th Place and are still alive in Europa League and they sacked him.
Regardless of these stats, Club Brugge signed him to get them back to the top. Last season they finished 4th which is quite unacceptable for their level in the past decade or so. Two seasons ago they finished on 72 points before the split, last year at 59, and this year 51 (less teams, so just about equal with 59 from last year) and that looks highly unlikely they'll finish top or even top two after the split... - meaning that this was always on the cards.