No more Expansion Draft...

Kjbert

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 24, 2014
...according to Kevin Kinkead and Atlanta United

mm interesting because this is not what Minnisota is saying. Guess we will have to wait for official word from MLS.

if i am an expansion team, i woulddefinately want the expansion draft. essentially you get to acquire players for nothing. league would have to give them alot more allocation dollars to fund transfer fees especially if they are going to have to acquire players in the winter window but that could be ripe for exploitation as well.

if i am an expansion team, i woulddefinately want the expansion draft. essentially you get to acquire players for nothing. league would have to give them alot more allocation dollars to fund transfer fees especially if they are going to have to acquire players in the winter window but that could be ripe for exploitation as well.
If the draft continues, it should be that only one player can be selected from each team and then the team is locked. With 20 teams supplying, that's 10/new players per club which is not a bad haul, especially if they're all typically the 12th rated player (depending on salary, age, etc).

But seriously, no team should be pilfered for more than 1 player.

Last edited:

Exactly. They need lots of allocation dollars for transfer fees or lots of international spots.

Exactly. Interested to see what the mechanism will be for acquiring players then.

The idea that has been floated is extra GAM. Makes sense. There are plenty of players out there. Why not just give the new teams more flexibility to get things going than allow them to disrupt rosters that other teams have carefully built.

I was excited. Might have allowed us to offload Mix and Saunders.

Maybe, but more likely we will end up losing someone we'd really like to keep.

Reactions: Kjbert
i could of sworn that they confirmed the expansion draft after they announced minnesota

ill have to go back and see where i got this

Twellman was talking about it within the last month.

Atlanta and Kevin Kinkead seem to think otherwise. Twellman is great, but Kinkead, for whatever reason, seems to be one of the more in the know guys. In fact, the Philly Union reporters are the best in the know reporters in MLS. He and Jonathan Tannenwald are fantastic.

Miserable that we don't have a real NYCFC writer with inside scoops.

matt doyle just did an improntu ama on reddit and someone asked him whether he would want #1 superdraft or #1 expansion draft pick and his answer was not "there is no expansion draft".

matt doyle just did an improntu ama on reddit and someone asked him whether he would want #1 superdraft or #1 expansion draft pick and his answer was not "there is no expansion draft".
But if the question was which he'd rather have, and he answered with something different, then he in truth never even answered the question as it was binary.

The question had to be one or the other. Whether there is an expansion draft or not isn't framed as part of the question, just whether he'd rather have top dibs in a super draft or expansion draft.