NYCFC 2021 Season Discussion

This is subjective and possibly not backed up by statistics, but it seems to me that this team has very recently made the switch from being the kind of team that has to score early in order to compete, to a team that is both resilient (dropping a single goal down no longer feels like a disaster) and always a threat to the death. I never felt much panic yesterday because even when they were shutting us down we weren’t giving them a whole lot. I won’t say the Talles goal felt inevitable, but it felt like the flip side of when your underdog team is tied or up late with a Real or a Liverpool or an Italy or a Germany, and the top team calmly squashes your dreams because they are just more composed and more talented. I’ve almost never felt that about any team I’ve supported, but City has started to feel that way. And it’s a good feeling.

Was watching the UK feed of the game last night and it was interesting to hear their take on the differences between the two teams.

1. The announcers couldn't understand why after every foul in NYCFC's half Philly kept hoofing balls into the box from 40 yards out.
2. They described Philly very much as "Route 1 football." They just didn't have the tactics to break through the thirds and undress a team like NYCFC.
3. Philly lacked ideas. They relied heavily on an athletic form of run and gun attack which, predictably, get's tiring for a team missing key players. It seemed it was only a matter of time before NYCFC got that second goal.

This is subjective and possibly not backed up by statistics, but it seems to me that this team has very recently made the switch from being the kind of team that has to score early in order to compete, to a team that is both resilient (dropping a single goal down no longer feels like a disaster) and always a threat to the death. I never felt much panic yesterday because even when they were shutting us down we weren’t giving them a whole lot. I won’t say the Talles goal felt inevitable, but it felt like the flip side of when your underdog team is tied or up late with a Real or a Liverpool or an Italy or a Germany, and the top team calmly squashes your dreams because they are just more composed and more talented. I’ve almost never felt that about any team I’ve supported, but City has started to feel that way. And it’s a good feeling.
Why does it take getting punched in the mouth for us to get aggressive?

Was watching the UK feed of the game last night and it was interesting to hear their take on the differences between the two teams.

1. The announcers couldn't understand why after every foul in NYCFC's half Philly kept hoofing balls into the box from 40 yards out.
2. They described Philly very much as "Route 1 football." They just didn't have the tactics to break through the thirds and undress a team like NYCFC.
3. Philly lacked ideas. They relied heavily on an athletic form of run and gun attack which, predictably, get's tiring for a team missing key players. It seemed it was only a matter of time before NYCFC got that second goal.
It's funny that they kept doing that, especially since they don't have the type of forward to play Route 1, and Twellman said that exact fact like twenty times on the broadcast.

It's funny that they kept doing that, especially since they don't have the type of forward to play Route 1, and Twellman said that exact fact like twenty times on the broadcast.
Never heard the term Route 1 soccer before. Love learning new stuff on this forum.
Wanted to mention.... I believe it was the Philly supporter guest on Blue City Radio taht talked about how we should hope that Martinez takes a bunch of shots from distance because he is terrible at it and I'm pretty sure he launched about 3 wildly off target shots last night.

Never heard the term Route 1 soccer before. Love learning new stuff on this forum.
Wanted to mention.... I believe it was the Philly supporter guest on Blue City Radio taht talked about how we should hope that Martinez takes a bunch of shots from distance because he is terrible at it and I'm pretty sure he launched about 3 wildly off target shots last night.
That was one of the best "opponent guests" that I can remember on a NYCFC podcast in a while. Great conversation without being too boastful or anything.