NYCFC 2022 Season Expectations Thread

Shwafta

MLS Cup Attendee
Elite Donor
Jan 16, 2018
Long Island
Making a thread devoted to this. This isn't prognostication thread, this isn't roster discussion, this isn't schedule discussion. In a way, it's all? I'm just curious to hear what you all have under your expectations this season to make it a good season in your books.

For example, for me it's:
1. Talles Magno / Thiago / Acevedo / Zelalem - I want to see these players really begin to shine this season and put themselves into "Best" type of categories.
2. Dominance over Red Bulls
3. CCL final, if not victory
4. Open Cup - Make a run to at least the Semis

Anything that happens past that is a plus

Reactions: moogoo
Expectations:

1. At least the semifinals of CCL.
2. Top 2 finish in the Eastern Conference.
3. More balanced scoring totals from the team (less of a reliance on a Golden Boot winner)
4. Deep run in U.S. Open Cup
5. Improvement from Acevedo, Thiago, Talles, Jasson, Heber and Zelalem.
6. More pitch time from Haak, Latinovich and Gloster.
7. Deep run in MLS Playoffs.
8. Improved attendance numbers.

One or more of the following will mean a completely successful season:
  • Win MLS Cup, or
  • Win CCL, or
  • Win Campeones Cup, or
  • Win US Open Cup, or
  • Win Supporters Shield

One or more of the following means we have no basis for complaint:
  • make it to East Conference finals, or
  • best record in the East, or
  • at least 60 points plus win at least 1 playoff round

One or more of the following will mean a completely successful season:
  • Win MLS Cup, or
  • Win CCL, or
  • Win Campeones Cup, or
  • Win US Open Cup, or
  • Win Supporters Shield

One or more of the following means we have no basis for complaint:
  • make it to East Conference finals, or
  • best record in the East, or
  • at least 60 points plus win at least 1 playoff round
Agreed, except for striking Campeones Cup from the first list and adding qualify for 2023 CCL in the second list.

Agreed, except for striking Campeones Cup from the first list and adding qualify for 2023 CCL in the second list.
I stand by accepting Campeones Cup, but leaving it out is fair. Adding CCL qualification is a good add. I considered it, but figured it's either not possible or very unlikely to do so without hitting at least one of my other targets.
WRT Campeones, I decided to just accept literally any hardware the year after winning the main one.

We need to perform like a top team in the league, on a consistent basis, through all competitions.

That means we need to be a serious contender for 4 of the 5 trophies we can win this year, with the below being the general threshold for "serious contender."
  • Make CCL semifinals or better.
  • Make US Open Cup semifinals or better.
  • Win Campeones Cup.
  • Make MLS Cup semifinals or better.
  • Top 4 in Supporters' Shield standings.
If we can do 4 of the 5 above, then there is no complaining, even if we don't get any of the trophies.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I think for me I would love to win CCL and maybe Supporter’s Shield. The ultimate goal is another MLS Cup but if we win either of those two mentioned before I can’t complain. So these are my expectations:

• Win CCL
• Win Supporter’s Shield
• Win MLS Cup (if we don’t win CCL or SS)
• Prove We’re Not Just One and Done
• See Improvements from Heber, Zalelem, Magno

Personally, I want to win CCL more than MLS Cup this season. We've already won MLS Cup, no MLS team has won CCL in its current iteration. There are no finalized plans for a Club World Cup right now for 2023, but that would be glorious to play in.

Personally, I want to win CCL more than MLS Cup this season. We've already won MLS Cup, no MLS team has won CCL in its current iteration. There are no finalized plans for a Club World Cup right now for 2023, but that would be glorious to play in.
This came up a few weeks ago and I disagreed. Now we started CCL and I'm all in. I'd sell a guaranteed 2022 MLS Cup for CCL right now.

I think to expect a trophy every season is a big ask. Someone above said "prove we weren't one and done." That's where I am. I want us to prove we weren't a fluke.

Get back to a conference final. Be more consistent during the regular season, see the young players grow into even better players. Those are my expectations for the season.

I guess I'm asking what the question is. If you're asking me what I will be thrilled by, of course it's winning a trophy. If you're asking me what my baseline is for an acceptable and enjoyable season, I would say it's what I wrote above.