NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Anyone have any news about how the training academy is going?

5-3-0 (W-D-L), and just played their final fall game last weekend. Next game is in March.

Also of note, the USSDA is adding a U-12 division next year. Hopefully we'll expand our academy aggressively and add both a U-12 and U-15/16 team for next fall. A couple of players on the current U-13/14 team are going to turn 15 this spring, so we'll need a new team.

5-3-0 (W-D-L), and just played their final fall game last weekend. Next game is in March.

Also of note, the USSDA is adding a U-12 division next year. Hopefully we'll expand our academy aggressively and add both a U-12 and U-15/16 team for next fall. A couple of players on the current U-13/14 team are going to turn 15 this spring, so we'll need a new team.
I'm assuming this is the rolling year season then?
image.png

Reactions: Kjbert
With the rumors of a Senior Women's NWSL team being instituted in the (near) future, it would seem that adding girls teams to the academy now would be beneficial, no? If NYCFC goes the same route and wants to start with the U14 and then add another level each year, then it makes sense to get the pipeline going now, because delaying the start of a girls' academy structure only delays being able to tap players up.

Granted, the return on investment will likely have to be ascertained separate of transfer fees, since the transfer market in the women's world game currently is a fraction of the men's. But if CFG does bring in an NWSL team while not expanding the academy to include girls, I would wager elements of the fan base would be less than enthusiastic and sizable protests waged.... This is probably an issue all dual MLS/NWSL owners are facing.

With the rumors of a Senior Women's NWSL team being instituted in the (near) future, it would seem that adding girls teams to the academy now would be beneficial, no? If NYCFC goes the same route and wants to start with the U14 and then add another level each year, then it makes sense to get the pipeline going now, because delaying the start of a girls' academy structure only delays being able to tap players up.

Granted, the return on investment will likely have to be ascertained separate of transfer fees, since the transfer market in the women's world game currently is a fraction of the men's. But if CFG does bring in an NWSL team while not expanding the academy to include girls, I would wager elements of the fan base would be less than enthusiastic and sizable protests waged.... This is probably an issue all dual MLS/NWSL owners are facing.

were getting a womens team ? like nycfc womens team?

were getting a womens team ? like nycfc womens team?
There were rumors over the summer that there will likely be an NWSL team - which would make sense when pushing the stadium if it can be shown to have games for NYCFC, NYCFC II, and NWSL on the calendar and not be an unused arena. I think one rumor that was nixed was having SkyBlue join since they're already established, but I believe SkyBlue wants to stay in NJ.

So the NYCFC youth team is known as New York Soccer Club?
Idk that's what I'm asking. It's all I was able to find under the US developmental league website. But 2015-16 wasn't listed so it might be a completely different thing.

There were rumors over the summer that there will likely be an NWSL team - which would make sense when pushing the stadium if it can be shown to have games for NYCFC, NYCFC II, and NWSL on the calendar and not be an unused arena. I think one rumor that was nixed was having SkyBlue join since they're already established, but I believe SkyBlue wants to stay in NJ.

ah that, i remember that as well, i just thought that there was more recent news close to firming it.

It would require a big expansion to do that. They're not just adding U-12, they're splitting U-13/14 into U-13 and U-14. That would mean recruiting three teams' worth of players in one go, thoroughly plundering our affiliates for their best talent.

The only thing I'd comment about this is that even the best surfaces in football tend to get churned up after about 25-30 games in relatively quick succession. If you have not one but three teams sharing a stadium, the pitch is going to be in awful condition by the end of the season. I don't know what it's like in the US with more artificial turf stadia, but in the UK most teams sharing stadiums have to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds every season to replace the pitch in order to have a surface ready for the following season. Noticably of all the NWSL teams, only one shares a stadium with an MLS team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
I believe the DI requirement for women and for DII for men (which the USL is pushing for) is 5k so I think it makes more sense to either build a smaller 5k field at whatever becomes our permanent practice facility or partner with a local school like St. John's or Columbia to use their facilities for a NWSL/USL Pro team.

It would require a big expansion to do that. They're not just adding U-12, they're splitting U-13/14 into U-13 and U-14. That would mean recruiting three teams' worth of players in one go, thoroughly plundering our affiliates for their best talent.
Isn't this what we are going to do eventually anyway?

Reactions: sbrylski
Oh, no doubt, but I'm just unsure whether the affiliate teams would appreciate us going from "we'll be adding one new team a year" to "we're just going to nick a swathe of your players across multiple age groups". We might go for it though.

I'm not sure our affiliates have much say in the matter. I don't know exactly how it works, but I imagine the kids can move to whatever academy they want - it's not like these youth clubs have rights to these 12 year olds.

As far as I can tell, the affiliate relationship is 99% just the youth league NYCFC set up for U-12's. They probably share some coaching and other resources to the affiliate clubs in exchange for getting all their 12 year olds in one league for NYCFC to scout and poach from.