NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Does anyone know what is the process to get in the Academy? Like tryouts?

My cousin (wife's cousin) currently plays in Juvenile team of Club Deportivo Roda in Spain (affiliated with Villarreal) and is coming over for the summer....not sure if the academy sponsors international players
Depends on the age. One of the avenues is to tryout through a regional center. From what I remember that’s U13 and below. I don’t remember them offering that over the summer.

Reactions: katte
The current one is basically brand new, right?

i mean its like five years old? but im basing my comment on Brad sims interview with glen crooks, he was kinda alluding they wanted to make a new facility to help house the first team and second NYCFC2/ academy team and wanted it to be more "accessible" for the city kids and maybe he meant closer to the city or in the city ( as impossible as that sounds).

Last edited:
Ive been hoping to see them build a "South" facility in Queens, BK or LI to broaden their reach. Daily training in your "home" facility with joint weekend training in one of the facilities.
I'd imagine a lot of families find it overly burdensome to get out to the current home and it has to be harmful towards recruiting.

i mean its like five years old? but im basing my comment on Brad sims interview with glen crooks, he was kinda alluding they wanted to make a new facility to help house the first team and second NYCFC2/ academy team and wanted it to be more "accessible" for the city kids and maybe he meant closer to the city or in the city ( as impossible as that sounds).
I wouldn't be surprised that Orangetown also heard that comment and decied to be more than willing to help the team to expand on the former Rockland Psychiatric Center. As Sims mentioned that they were thinking of selling the facility to possilby World Class Soccer. That doesn't really help Orangetown's tax bill, nor did that remaining property really pick up for movie productions after "Orange is the New Black" ended. I grew up in Rockland, but live in the BX. So the team practicing in Rockland and playing the BX was always a win for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
A recent addition to the Academy team:

Played for Albania in the U17 Euros last spring. CB who scored a goal.

Great kid who Fred Jr. played with at U14. They played next to each other as a CB/LB duo.

Keep an eye on this kid!

A recent addition to the Academy team:

Played for Albania in the U17 Euros last spring. CB who scored a goal.

Great kid who Fred Jr. played with at U14. They played next to each other as a CB/LB duo.

Keep an eye on this kid!

NOT the HG signing. But interesting prospect.

How is our academy doing? Are we still attracting talented youngsters?

It's been a huge positive for the Club, but the nature of these things is that we need to keep the momentum going. We will need new players to replace the ones we sell off.

I've heard some talk that we aren't attracting talented kids to the same extent we were a few years ago, but I have no way to judge that. Our track record now speaks for itself. Hopefully, we remain strong. Our Club - and to an extent the USMNT - is counting on it.

Reactions: Kjbert
How is our academy doing? Are we still attracting talented youngsters?

It's been a huge positive for the Club, but the nature of these things is that we need to keep the momentum going. We will need new players to replace the ones we sell off.

I've heard some talk that we aren't attracting talented kids to the same extent we were a few years ago, but I have no way to judge that. Our track record now speaks for itself. Hopefully, we remain strong. Our Club - and to an extent the USMNT - is counting on it.

From up here in Fairfield/Westchester, momentum has definitely slowed from these suburbs. I’ve also heard that momentum has slowed in NJ.

But there’s enough talent in NYC that I don’t know that they’re concerned.