NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Academy will take part in the showcase....they are playing right now based on the schedule but there is no stream....only their 9 am game on monday will be streamed in ussoccer youtube page.

NYCFC v FC Dallas – Friday Dec 2, 11am

NYCFC v SJ Earthquakes – Saturday Dec 3, 1pm

NYCFC v Crew SC Academy Wolves – Monday Dec 5, 9am

Reactions: Kjbert
There's a means to NYCFC's madness of starting only one team at the U-14 level, to have all players playing the same style throughout the academy.... but it was absolute madness to not start older teams to poach/lay-claim to the talent. Those older players would be no different than drafting a college freshman that didn't have the CFG-style embedded in their skill set, but is talented enough to possibly contribute to the roster.

Yeah, we royally fcked that one up, and I'd love to listen to the internal conversations laying out the pos/neg aspects of only investing in the u-14 team, and which FO people were on which side of the discussion. The fact that Atlanta hasn't even played a single minute and they've already graduated a few HG with youth national team experience is a kick in the teeth to our setup.

I have never been happy with the decision to build the academy solely from the ground up. I've yet to come across even an attempt to explain why the club could not build as it wants from the ground up, while also incorporating older talent for an upper academy until the ground up players percolate up through the system. There seems to be no benefit to it whatsoever. Orlando and even Atlanta are apparently years ahead of us. This just seems to be the absolute pinnacle of all of our FO's worst faults combined: prideful, uncompromising, unexplained,and unwilling to adjust with reality. To be clear: I think our FO has many good qualities as well, but those are its negative qualities and they are in full bloom with this decision.

ETA: Ulrich posted pretty much exactly the same while I was typing.

There's a means to NYCFC's madness of starting only one team at the U-14 level, to have all players playing the same style throughout the academy.... but it was absolute madness to not start older teams to poach/lay-claim to the talent. Those older players would be no different than drafting a college freshman that didn't have the CFG-style embedded in their skill set, but is talented enough to possibly contribute to the roster.

Yeah, we royally fcked that one up, and I'd love to listen to the internal conversations laying out the pos/neg aspects of only investing in the u-14 team, and which FO people were on which side of the discussion. The fact that Atlanta hasn't even played a single minute and they've already graduated a few HG with youth national team experience is a kick in the teeth to our setup.
Atlanta's just a better area for soccer talent

Reactions: adam