NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

They could certainly be signed to EDS but don't they have to play for NYCFC at PDL or USL level to count as homegrown? I thought the whole point is that the club has to retain them in order to claim them? I doubt MLS would consider staying "in the family" to be enough to satisfy that condition.

Thank you. I was thinking more from Man City's side. If you graduate a kid from the NYCFC U-18 program, you can still control his homegrown rights in college, but you only have so many dollars to throw around. As an example, Jordan Morris is taking up most of the Homegrown cap allotment for Seattle.

I was thinking if you could skirt the rules from Man City's side. How many kids do they have at U-18? Is it just one team or do they have multiple players there. Offer our best 3 kids every year a CFG contract to train full time in Manchester. If by 21 they're not ready to play here after training with CFG full time for 3 years, they won't cut it in MLS.

I'm more concerned about a kid's star being stunted by going to college.

Reactions: Ulrich
Thank you. I was thinking more from Man City's side. If you graduate a kid from the NYCFC U-18 program, you can still control his homegrown rights in college, but you only have so many dollars to throw around. As an example, Jordan Morris is taking up most of the Homegrown cap allotment for Seattle.

I was thinking if you could skirt the rules from Man City's side. How many kids do they have at U-18? Is it just one team or do they have multiple players there. Offer our best 3 kids every year a CFG contract to train full time in Manchester. If by 21 they're not ready to play here after training with CFG full time for 3 years, they won't cut it in MLS.

This is interesting as a twist on if College allows rights to be retained then so should the CFG Finishing School. I have no idea if they have to sign a contract with the EDS, and if it's a paying contract it could upend the HG route.

Reactions: Kjbert
This is interesting as a twist on if College allows rights to be retained then so should the CFG Finishing School. I have no idea if they have to sign a contract with the EDS, and if it's a paying contract it could upend the HG route.

If Shay Facey is worth $120,000 a year, you would think our kids are worth $60,000-$90,000 a year. Send them to EDS and either loan them or transfer them back to NYCFC.

I like "Finishing School." That perfectly depicts what I am suggesting. Like an IMG College Academy.

There's only one u-18 side - I think you probably have to go down to about u-14 level to get to the point where they retain more players than they need to fill a squad. That said, three players shouldn't be too hard to accommodate.

I still remain unconvinced that MLS would be willing to consider moving them to Manchester to count under HG rules though. Maybe if they were loaned to the academy but not otherwise.

There's only one u-18 side - I think you probably have to go down to about u-14 level to get to the point where they retain more players than they need to fill a squad. That said, three players shouldn't be too hard to accommodate.

I still remain unconvinced that MLS would be willing to consider moving them to Manchester to count under HG rules though. Maybe if they were loaned to the academy but not otherwise.

I'm not even considering them to be HGs at that point. Angelino was here and it cost us $60k. Facey was here and it cost us $120k.

Johannsen is making $50k? Doesn't even hit our cap. I'm talking about a residency program in Manchester. There isn't a strong mechanism to bring kids through in MLS.

I'm not even considering them to be HGs at that point. Angelino was here and it cost us $60k. Facey was here and it cost us $120k.

Johannsen is making $50k? Doesn't even hit our cap. I'm talking about a residency program in Manchester. There isn't a strong mechanism to bring kids through in MLS.

Ah, then fair enough. That could work. I'd be all for seeing the academies interact more.

If Shay Facey is worth $120,000 a year, you would think our kids are worth $60,000-$90,000 a year. Send them to EDS and either loan them or transfer them back to NYCFC.

I like "Finishing School." That perfectly depicts what I am suggesting. Like an IMG College Academy.

FIFA regulations forbid teams anywhere from signing players under 18 from another country unless their parents move to that country for an unrelated job. The only exception is if players are transferred between EU countries. This is what Barcelona was banned for.

Of course there is nothing stopping youngsters going over to train from time to time and playing competitions.

FIFA regulations forbid teams anywhere from signing players under 18 from another country unless their parents move to that country for an unrelated job. The only exception is if players are transferred between EU countries. This is what Barcelona was banned for.

Of course there is nothing stopping youngsters going over to train from time to time and playing competitions.

I'm taking about a CFG program where our kids who aren't ready for first team football can play over there for a couple
Of years instead of playing in USL. This would be for kids who have graduated high school (18+) in lieu of seeing them waste their talents in college.

I'm taking about a CFG program where our kids who aren't ready for first team football can play over there for a couple
Of years instead of playing in USL. This would be for kids who have graduated high school (18+) in lieu of seeing them waste their talents in college.

I like the idea, but I'm assuming work permit issues would be quite frequent without an EU passport and with Brexit even more unlikely.

And this is another reason why the Academy structure in this country needs to be perfected. A kid like that will go to college for 4 years. He'll train for 4 months in school and mostly concentrate on his class work.

Guys around the world between 18-22 are perfecting their game as professionals.

Reactions: Schwallacus
And this is another reason why the Academy structure in this country needs to be perfected. A kid like that will go to college for 4 years. He'll train for 4 months in school and mostly concentrate on his class work.

Guys around the world between 18-22 are perfecting their game as professionals.

No question there need to be reforms, but why assume he's going to ditch us? I speculate we are going to aggressively try to get our academy players to sign professional contracts at age 18.

No question there need to be reforms, but why assume he's going to ditch us? I speculate we are going to aggressively try to get our academy players to sign professional contracts at age 18.
I expect any of our players that make the youth BNT setup in the U-18 category will be offered homegrown contracts. Those kids are comparatively the best 18-20 of their age group in the country. Sure some from other areas of the country will fall through the cracks, but our guys will always get good looks from USSoccer.

Ha! Not my nightlife! Maybe NYC nightlife in general, but I don't know any 18 year old players who want to sit around reading a book with me and going to bed around 11.
Misnomer - the figurative "your"... should have written their instead of your.

I wasn't assuming he is going to ditch us. I assumed he would be a 3-4 year college player and not really improve beyond physical strength.