NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

I have never been happy with the decision to build the academy solely from the ground up. I've yet to come across even an attempt to explain why the club could not build as it wants from the ground up, while also incorporating older talent for an upper academy until the ground up players percolate up through the system. There seems to be no benefit to it whatsoever. Orlando and even Atlanta are apparently years ahead of us. This just seems to be the absolute pinnacle of all of our FO's worst faults combined: prideful, uncompromising, unexplained,and unwilling to adjust with reality. To be clear: I think our FO has many good qualities as well, but those are its negative qualities and they are in full bloom with this decision.

ETA: Ulrich posted pretty much exactly the same while I was typing.
For many of the important decisions the club makes, they really need a few dedicated fans to be there to vet the ideas and quickly quip: "are you guys fcking serious - that's an absolutely wretched idea that lacks any form of common sense."

Last edited:
so can you give me named of kids we lost out on? should i assume a bunch of red bull prospects that are in RB II or first team?

so can you give me named of kids we lost out on? should i assume a bunch of red bull prospects that are in RB II or first team?
There may not have been any kids missed out on or there could have been a whole handful that made a leap under the club's direction. But the point is, it was a lost opportunity.

There's a means to NYCFC's madness of starting only one team at the U-14 level, to have all players playing the same style throughout the academy.... but it was absolute madness to not start older teams to poach/lay-claim to the talent. Those older players would be no different than drafting a college freshman that didn't have the CFG-style embedded in their skill set, but is talented enough to possibly contribute to the roster.

Yeah, we royally fcked that one up, and I'd love to listen to the internal conversations laying out the pos/neg aspects of only investing in the u-14 team, and which FO people were on which side of the discussion. The fact that Atlanta hasn't even played a single minute and they've already graduated a few HG with youth national team experience is a kick in the teeth to our setup.

I have never been happy with the decision to build the academy solely from the ground up. I've yet to come across even an attempt to explain why the club could not build as it wants from the ground up, while also incorporating older talent for an upper academy until the ground up players percolate up through the system. There seems to be no benefit to it whatsoever. Orlando and even Atlanta are apparently years ahead of us. This just seems to be the absolute pinnacle of all of our FO's worst faults combined: prideful, uncompromising, unexplained,and unwilling to adjust with reality. To be clear: I think our FO has many good qualities as well, but those are its negative qualities and they are in full bloom with this decision.

ETA: Ulrich posted pretty much exactly the same while I was typing.

Why can't Man City play total football that Pep wants? Because the older talent that he buys hasn't learned the City style of football. Sure we can poach older kids but it wouldn't be the same as having them playing together from a young age, learning the tactics and style of City football.

We're taking the long road, but it's going to be filled with MLS Cups galore!

Why can't Man City play total football that Pep wants? Because the older talent that he buys hasn't learned the City style of football. Sure we can poach older kids but it wouldn't be the same as having them playing together from a young age, learning the tactics and style of City football.

You realize that Pep's total football is being figured out by a league that has more parity than LaLiga and the Bundesliga? Sure he doesn't have all the players he wants, but they may not help matters once he gets them. Tactics change and evolve. What other league has a ton of parity like the EPL?

Regarding us, we may one day have an NYCFC "style" of play, but I don't want the 5-10 years beforehand to be squandered because a highly rated kid(s) aren't grabbed because they didn't play the CFG way growing up.

For our first several years, the alternative to graduating academy players we didn't develop is not graduating players we did develop and who know our system. It has been and will be a combination of mostly foreign players and very young US products, none of whom came though our system, and both of whom cost significantly more against the cap -- in acquisition costs, salary or both -- than the hypothetical grafted on upper level academy players we could have at least tried using. And adding the upper level academy players would not have destroyed the ability to train younger prospects in the CFG way. Which was rather explicitly preemptively anticipated in both Ulrich Ulrich 's and my posts, so thanks for giving me a chance to say it again in different words. I am in love with my own prose.

Edited to add the itlalicized sentence that was inexplicably omitted as I typed.

Last edited:
You realize that Pep's total football is being figured out by a league that has more parity than LaLiga and the Bundesliga? Sure he doesn't have all the players he wants, but they may not help matters once he gets them. Tactics change and evolve. What other league has a ton of parity like the EPL?

Regarding us, we may one day have an NYCFC "style" of play, but I don't want the 5-10 years beforehand to be squandered because a highly rated kid(s) aren't grabbed because they didn't play the CFG way growing up.

that may still happen in 10 years and on

Sure, but why skip the opportunity? There's no chance of succeeding if you don't even try.

i dont know...maybe they felt there wasnt that many good potential prospects right now with the youth clubs they wanted to associate themselves with. so they rather build their own and just affiliate

These rankings are bullshit. While we may not have the total number of academy players, pound for pound, the quality of our academy players is right there with FC Dallas, NJRB and Seattle.
We haven't graduated anybody yet. That's the barometer.

Reactions: adam
These rankings are bullshit. While we may not have the total number of academy players, pound for pound, the quality of our academy players is right there with FC Dallas, NJRB and Seattle.
We haven't graduated anybody yet. That's the barometer.
Plus the upcoming pipeline. We have good players in there but they are further away than those programs. The top rated players for Atlanta and Orlando were born in 1998. Ours in 2002. That's not to our advantage.

Plus the upcoming pipeline. We have good players in there but they are further away than those programs. The top rated players for Atlanta and Orlando were born in 1998. Ours in 2002. That's not to our advantage.
I have no doubt we'll graduate some future MNT players, but they're still going through Freshman Orientation at their High school.

I have no doubt we'll graduate some future MNT players, but they're still going through Freshman Orientation at their High school.

Other teams' academy players are scoring goals. Ours are being given wedgies.

giphy.gif

For many of the important decisions the club makes, they really need a few dedicated fans to be there to vet the ideas and quickly quip: "are you guys fcking serious - that's an absolutely wretched idea that lacks any form of common sense."
the VP of Common Sense, first widely espoused by Bill Simmons, first claimed by me should the position ever exist for NYCFC. And it should.

Reactions: Kjbert
I recall results from the past and our 14 team was beating u16 teams and even won games in European tournaments. From what I know they're very good. I'd rather have a very good incomplete youth product than a mashed together complete so-so product.
Even the best academies send very few kids through to the first team at their club (or at all). Had we made the small effort and investment, It probably would have meant another quality player on our roster, frankly.

Do it right from the beginning or don't do it at all. They thought that the latest they could start reaching these kids the City way was as 14 year olds. I'm cool with that.

Do it right from the beginning or don't do it at all. They thought that the latest they could start reaching these kids the City way was as 14 year olds. I'm cool with that.

I think what everyone is saying is do it right from the 14 year old level and going forward. That's fine and makes sense. But lay claim to the 15-18 year olds when you start. We're integrating raw talents in their 20s like Khiry, Mikey, RJ etc... So why not lay claim to some local youths and maybe get lucky?

Reactions: SoupInNYC