NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Watched the first half vs Clube Atletico Paranese and we completely dominated them. Had about 10 shots and 70%+ possession but couldnt find a goal. CAP capitalized on an error by about 4 different NYC players that led to a goal.

Have not watched the second half but looks like they conceded again.

It is refreshing to watch this age group cuz you don't have the flopping you have at the senior level.

Watched the first half vs Clube Atletico Paranese and we completely dominated them. Had about 10 shots and 70%+ possession but couldnt find a goal. CAP capitalized on an error by about 4 different NYC players that led to a goal.

Have not watched the second half but looks like they conceded again.

It is refreshing to watch this age group cuz you don't have the flopping you have at the senior level.

2nd goal was on a PK. CAP fouled in the box. Looked pretty ticky tacky to me.

Reactions: Kjbert and dannd23
2nd goal was on a PK. CAP fouled in the box. Looked pretty ticky tacky to me.

Well we lost 3-0 and apparently got a red card too.

Our shot at winning the GA Championship Division is not going to happen unless we get results that are great for us. We need to beat Sporting KC and Real Madrid and have a great goal differential. Only the top team in the group goes to the semifinals.

Well we lost 3-0 and apparently got a red card too.

Our shot at winning the GA Championship Division is not going to happen unless we get results that are great for us. We need to beat Sporting KC and Real Madrid and have a great goal differential. Only the top team in the group goes to the semifinals.
I just watched up until the red. Haak got sent off for winning the ball.

NYC was dominant.

Gio may be awesome, but he played like a prick and cost the one goal scored before the red.

The new kid is awesome. Merkovic or something. The Anoli or whatever kid who played on the wing until they brought in Petrovic - that dude is weak sauce. No idea how he plays over anyone.

Results don’t matter. Merkovic and Haak are more than happy to receive a ball 25 yards from their own goal with a man riding their back. I was really impressed.

The winger kid who started and got subbed first does not have the ability to play for an MLS club, unless he’s only actually 14 right now. In which case, I apologize.

Two players stood out in my 55 minutes: Merkovic and Haak. They are real talents. Gio played like a diva. And I don’t mean that production wise, I mean that from a style perspective. Although, I’ll say I wouldn’t pass to akinoli (ALINO is what it was) either. No idea how you could be so unskilled and so slow and still be in the NYCFC academy at this age.

(Save this for when said un/inappropriately named winger kid becomes a superstar. I hope he does.

ETA: ALINO. ALINO is the name of the kid who pretty much singlehandely ensured we couldn’t score first half. No offense, Ms. ALINO. But you should discuss with him his indecision in picking out a teammate or taking on his fullback in a 1v1. Not much patience for a winger who gets the ball in an advantageous situation positionally and numerically and opts to play it to the other team every time.

Last edited:

NYC was dominant.

Gio may be awesome, but he played like a prick and cost the one goal scored before the red.

The new kid is awesome. Merkovic or something. The Anoli or whatever kid who played on the wing until they brought in Petrovic - that dude is weak sauce. No idea how he plays over anyone.

Results don’t matter. Merkovic and Haak are more than happy to receive a ball 25 yards from their own goal with a man riding their back. I was really impressed.

The winger kid who started and got subbed first does not have the ability to play for an MLS club, unless he’s only actually 14 right now. In which case, I apologize.

Two players stood out in my 55 minutes: Merkovic and Haak. They are real talents. Gio played like a diva. And I don’t mean that production wise, I mean that from a style perspective. Although, I’ll say I wouldn’t pass to akinoli (ALINO is what it was) either. No idea how you could be so unskilled and so slow and still be in the NYCFC academy at this age.

(Save this for when said un/inappropriately named winger kid becomes a superstar. I hope he does.

ETA: ALINO. ALINO is the name of the kid who pretty much singlehandely ensured we couldn’t score first half. No offense, Ms. ALINO. But you should discuss with him his indecision in picking out a teammate or taking on his fullback in a 1v1. Not much patience for a winger who gets the ball in an advantageous situation positionally and numerically and opts to play it to the other team every time.

Generally agree with all your points. I'd also like to say I thought Andres Jasson was really good.

I didn't think Gio was bad, I just expected more from him. He should have finished his 1 v 1 with the keeper no problem and instead he choked. Lots of bad giveaways, including a bad giveaway that really ignited CAP's first goal.

Generally agree with all your points. I'd also like to say I thought Andres Jasson was really good.

I didn't think Gio was bad, I just expected more from him. He should have finished his 1 v 1 with the keeper no problem and instead he choked. Lots of bad giveaways, including a bad giveaway that really ignited CAP's first goal.
You say Gio wasn’t bad, and then you point out all the specific ways he was dog shit. I approve. Apparently, you’re ready made for corporate America.

Reactions: Paul and SoupInNYC
You say Gio wasn’t bad, and then you point out all the specific ways he was dog shit. I approve. Apparently, you’re ready made for corporate America.

Haha. He stood out for better or for worse.

What did you think of our GK? Think he's a pretty solid prospect overall but idk if he has the build to make it.

One of my favorite moments was when we were playing out of the back and we almost had a terrible giveaway that would have led to any easy goal and the commentators said "looking like NYCFC in 2015"

Haha. He stood out for better or for worse.

What did you think of our GK? Think he's a pretty solid prospect overall but idk if he has the build to make it.

One of my favorite moments was when we were playing out of the back and we almost had a terrible giveaway that would have led to any easy goal and the commentators said "looking like NYCFC in 2015"
Truly, my favorite moment was any time I saw Haak and Merkovic(?) on the ball. Those kids have all the balls.

NYC was dominant.

I saw the first goal that the Brazilian scored. I was thinking "Gio, pass the fucking ball. Pass the fucking ball. Don't try to get dance three defenders."

Nobody in NYCFC does what Gio does. I don't think Gio understands the City systems to ball and keep the controlling.

Selfish.

I saw the first goal that the Brazilian scored. I was thinking "Gio, pass the fucking ball. Pass the fucking ball. Don't try to get dance three defenders."

Nobody in NYCFC does what Gio does. I don't think Gio understands the City systems to ball and keep the controlling.

Selfish.
Don’t like you saying selfish outright. We imply that in corporate America.
And nycfc Foruns. Sometimes. Maybe. We should. We could start today. Or tomorrow. Either way. Just a thought.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
With the wind blowing 40-50 mph all game yesterday was not a great indicator of the way the kids play. It didn't look a lot like last year. When putting the ball in the air is never an attractive option it limits what everyone can do individually and as a team.

When putting the ball in the air is never an attractive option it limits what everyone can do individually
You’re going to have to specify exactly how a strong wind is responsible for Gio being so bad

You’re going to have to specify exactly how a strong wind is responsible for Gio being so bad
The ball is at your feet and you are being closed down by two players. Your choices are dribble, pass the ball on the ground and pass the ball in the air. Narrow those options to dribble or pass the ball on the ground and some players (Gio) will dribble more than he otherwise would -- I saw a bunch of lousy plays by Reyna and this doesn't explain all of them, but it happened enough that he gets a pass from me for the bad game.

Call it constructive criticism if you'd like but ridiculing academy players as such is pretty absurd in my opinion
Ridiculing? You think that’s what that is? Did you watch the match?

Never mind. Don’t answer. Or do. I don’t care.

Cheers, Geoff.

Ridiculing? You think that’s what that is? Did you watch the match?

Never mind. Don’t answer. Or do. I don’t care.

Cheers, Geoff.

No, I did not watch the match, but unless they changed the definition, I'm pretty certain that saying that someone played like a prick is ridicule.

Cheers