NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

I tuned in at about 15". It was fun. I haven't watched very much of the academy at all. Funny how similar their problems were to the first team - midfielders were struggling to find space to receive the ball from the back line. Apparently a lot of this was due to Haak's absence. Improved a lot in the second half, with more urgency and ownership. Scally and Reyna stood up and tried to make things happen. Merkovic too, although it seemed like he didn't have a lot of options even when he managed to make space for himself with some neat skill.

I tuned in at about 15". It was fun. I haven't watched very much of the academy at all. Funny how similar their problems were to the first team - midfielders were struggling to find space to receive the ball from the back line. Apparently a lot of this was due to Haak's absence. Improved a lot in the second half, with more urgency and ownership. Scally and Reyna stood up and tried to make things happen. Merkovic too, although it seemed like he didn't have a lot of options even when he managed to make space for himself with some neat skill.
Are games being played essentially back to back to back? Squad rotation coming into play

Reactions: Kjbert and dummyrun
Are games being played essentially back to back to back? Squad rotation coming into play
Looks like 3 matches in 4 days. There wasn't much rotation for this match I don't think. Only the top team goes through to the knockout rounds, so they needed the win that bad.

Also forgot to mention that Bobby Warshaw was commentating. I feel torn about Warshaw because he makes valid and interesting observations, but he is also near-hysterical, negative and blame-y.

Just a down the road heads up that the team is playing a game in Bridgeport Conn on the afternoon of April 28. Thinking of taking a ride with my kids to cheer them on, in case anyone else is interested.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Also forgot to mention that Bobby Warshaw was commentating. I feel torn about Warshaw because he makes valid and interesting observations, but he is also near-hysterical, negative and blame-y.
I think Warshaw is at his best commentating on individual matches. Kind of enjoyed him.

Based on two games, there are only a few guys I see who have real first team prospects.

Merkovic is better than sands. Like right now. I have no doubt about it. He’s a potential DM for s top level European club.

The keeper is great. Excelllent passer, reads the game well.

We have all overrated Gio (eta: his individual brilliance/ability to carry a team, I mean. He is definitely super-skillful, but he's not "take a game over" great at this level.). He’s the kind of guy who could look like a great in a great team. But he damn sure best try his best to only play with great teams.

ETA: in sum, mitrovic is the man I love on this team. He’s a really, really strong player. He is always in the right spot and always makes the right pass. Big future for him.

ETA: mitrovic Merkovic whatever his name is. I’m talking about 26. The best kid on the team.

Last edited:
I think Warshaw is at his best commentating on individual matches. Kind of enjoyed him.

Based on two games, there are only a few guys I see who have real first team prospects.

Merkovic is better than sands. Like right now. I have no doubt about it. He’s a potential DM for s top level European club.

The keeper is great. Excelllent passer, reads the game well.

We have all overrated Gio. He’s the kind of guy who could look like a great in a great team. But he damn sure best try his best to only play with great teams.

ETA: in sum, mitrovic is the man I love o. This team. He’s a really, really strong player. He is always in the right spot and always makes the right pass. Big future for him.

ETA: mitrovic Merkovic whatever his name is. I’m talking about 26. The best kid on the team.

Keeper has a big future with us but he needs to bulk up big time, which will definitely come as he is just 15.

26 has a touch that you can't teach. So natural and silky on the ball and his vision is elite for his age group.

I thought Gio was better yesterday than he was against CAP. That said, I think he is trying to do way too much because he thinks he's the best player on the field. Not necessarily the worst mentality to have, but problem is he isn't even close to the best player on the field and ends up leading to errors whereas he needs to sometimes just pick the simple pass. He definitely needs some growing up to do in forms of mentality and sense of the game. Haak and 26 are at a different level at the moment.

Keeper has a big future with us but he needs to bulk up big time, which will definitely come as he is just 15.

26 has a touch that you can't teach. So natural and silky on the ball and his vision is elite for his age group.

I thought Gio was better yesterday than he was against CAP. That said, I think he is trying to do way too much because he thinks he's the best player on the field. Not necessarily the worst mentality to have, but problem is he isn't even close to the best player on the field and ends up leading to errors whereas he needs to sometimes just pick the simple pass. He definitely needs some growing up to do in forms of mentality and sense of the game. Haak and 26 are at a different level at the moment.
I want Haak on the senior team. He’d get minutes and could be a nice addition when chasing a goal and getting to freelance.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I want Haak on the senior team. He’d get minutes and could be a nice addition when chasing a goal and getting to freelance.

I'm not opposed to the Pulisic treatment for him. Give him 15-20 minutes a game regardless if up or down and reward him with a start or 2 the second half of the season. Going from the u17 or u19 level to senior MLS is a huge change in speed of the game, let him get his struggles out of the way this season so he can make a big impact next year. IMO

edit: Not saying he is as good or has as much potential as Pulisic. But Pulisic's first season with BVB he played like 10 matches with 2 starts.

I'm not opposed to the Pulisic treatment for him. Give him 15-20 minutes a game regardless if up or down and reward him with a start or 2 the second half of the season. Going from the u17 or u19 level to senior MLS is a huge change in speed of the game, let him get his struggles out of the way this season so he can make a big impact next year. IMO

edit: Not saying he is as good or has as much potential as Pulisic. But Pulisic's first season with BVB he played like 10 matches with 2 starts.
No doubt. I’m not saying he’s the second coming of Pulisic (although if he is then throw the kitchen sink at signing him), but if we’re chasing a goal, and Lewis is still persona non grata, then I’d rather insert Haak than TMac or a less offensively-minded senior player. Like you said, let him get the jitters out this year.

I am hoping we get to the point in a year or two where our academy continues to produce and we can just trade all our draft picks for GAM and TAM
This is 100% the dream and opens up a ton for the FO to work with. There certainly is value in the draft, but you can get more bang for your buck in developing players, selling them, integrating them into the first team and getting rid of draft picks, especially early-round picks. It's a really exciting prospect.

This is 100% the dream and opens up a ton for the FO to work with. There certainly is value in the draft, but you can get more bang for your buck in developing players, selling them, integrating them into the first team and getting rid of draft picks, especially early-round picks. It's a really exciting prospect.
Agreed. I’m concerned, though, that PV doesn’t seem to care to develop young players. Sands, Lewis and Awuah seem to be stuck and it’s not certain when or if they’ll get minutes. (Sands and Lewis should have come on at NE. If not then, when?) Looking at that, why *wouldn’t* our talented kids jump ship? Go find a team that will play you.

I love Haak's game, but you really should go watch the youtubes for these GA cup games. #26, who apparently only exists on youtube as I can't find him listed or named anywhere on USSDA or NYCFC sites, plays the 6 role like a boss.

I love Haak's game, but you really should go watch the youtubes for these GA cup games. #26, who apparently only exists on youtube as I can't find him listed or named anywhere on USSDA or NYCFC sites, plays the 6 role like a boss.
Saw parts of the match yesterday but didn’t pay much attention to the numbers. I have no issue signing that kid too, since we have room for 4 and Reyna is a pipe dream, so get him and Haak, and let them start seeing if their moves work against seasoned pros; if they do, get them choice minutes now when the pressure is off. I’d be very happy to have two midfielders and two defenders apprenticing (Sands is a CB).

Any opinions on Scally from the GA Cup games? He's the only one in the bunch that can get minutes right now with the first team as he's a homegrown player.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan

Filip Mirkovic?

http://nyfc.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=3940880&player=326103619

He also posted a match against the NYRB from Feb here where it looks like he's playing DM as well.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10368642/5a8c32a7a676d40cf8f9ec5b

Any opinions on Scally from the GA Cup games? He's the only one in the bunch that can get minutes right now with the first team as he's a homegrown player.
He looks pretty good. I want to say he had a couple of standout runs against Madrid, iirc.

I honestly can't stand watching these games with all of this wind, though. Not sure why I put myself through it. I feel like all of the convo around this needs a big asterisk since the games are often just comical for the team going into the wind.

Good times

29345255_10103487623855907_66887759_n.png