NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Letting Kreis use the first expansion draft pick on Ned Grabavoy. Letting Kreis let all those RSL players into the NYCFC roster. Not pushing hard enough for a younger DP.

There's not a whole lot of concern now, but it can be problematic in the future. However, yes its more CFG's fault in stars over support.

I keep hearing this grabavoy first pick mistake. Who could we have picked instead? Again it's my first year watching mls so not even sure who could of been the better choice. Which scraps from other teams would of been better.

Also pretty obvious he would pick guys he knows for first year of existence. Now it's up kreis to try and redeem himself by letting go some of those guys that have not worked for next season.

And I thought Kreis wanted a younger guy I think Colombian but cfg said no and pushed Pirlo.

Reactions: Gene
Letting Kreis use the first expansion draft pick on Ned Grabavoy. Letting Kreis let all those RSL players into the NYCFC roster. Not pushing hard enough for a younger DP.

There's not a whole lot of concern now, but it can be problematic in the future. However, yes its more CFG's fault in stars over support.

Kreis has final say over roster decisions. Leave your hate for Claudio out of this thread.

So what's Claudio's job responsibilities as sporting director?

Cap management, scouting, the Academy and community relations.

Kreis has already stated he has the final word here on roster decisions.

Kreis is either the fucking idiot we think he is or a liar. You pick which

Reactions: Paul
Given:
1)
2) Kreis didn't want Pirlo
3) NYCFC signs Pirlo

Query:
How is this possible?

Where has Kreis said he didn't want Pirlo? That was just speculation. The only quote I remember is Kreis distinguishing Pirlo from Xavi in which Kreis explains why he thought Pirlo would work here and Xavi would not. I'll try to track down that quote.

Edit - here's what I've found so far: “If you understood me, I was saying that there were two factors and they were kind of operating against Xavi – one was the age, the other was the position,” Kreis said last week. “But Pirlo doesn’t play the same position as Xavi.”

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Where has Kreis said he didn't want Pirlo? That was just speculation. The only quote I remember is Kreis distinguishing Pirlo from Xavi in which Kreis explains why he thought Pirlo would work here and Xavi would not. I'll try to track down that quote.

Edit - here's what I've found so far: “If you understood me, I was saying that there were two factors and they were kind of operating against Xavi – one was the age, the other was the position,” Kreis said last week. “But Pirlo doesn’t play the same position as Xavi.”

Kreis was very public about his desire for a 3rd younger DP. To say that Kreis wanted Pirlo is rewriting history.

After the Xavi rumors Kreis said:
“This is always difficult because when you think about a player like Xavi Hernandez, for me, one of the best players in the world ever,” Kreis added. “You say to yourself on one side there’s no doubt that a player like that will be great at New York City. But when you look at it from another view and say you only got three of these (designated player slots), and you already got another one that plays in the midfield and you got a third one in David Villa, whose all relative age are getting up there, you start to think, maybe not."

You would imagine he would be against Pirlo for the same exact reasons. This was reported by the Daily News after the Pirlo signing:
NYCFC staff wanted a younger DP to build around. But Manchester City runs the show.

Common sense says that Kreis fought with CFG to not sign a guy like Xavi and Pirlo and lost. The quote you presented is basically a defeated Kreis now toeing the company line.

Reactions: Paul
I agree with you that it makes sense from his perspective to want a younger DP, but Kreis never publicly said he didn't want Pirlo. In fact, whether defeated or not, his public comments on the issue actually favor Pirlo (albeit not emphatically).

Reactions: Kjbert
I agree with you that it makes sense from his perspective to want a younger DP, but Kreis never publicly said he didn't want Pirlo. In fact, whether defeated or not, his public comments on the issue actually favor Pirlo (albeit not emphatically).

Who do you think leaked to the Daily News after the Pirlo? Of course, Kreis is not going to publicly trash the Pirlo signing after it took place. Guy wants to keep his job. The leak makes it known how he felt about the issue. I really don't see how you can argue against it.

If you want to take everything a manager says at face value, I got a bridge to sell you.

Who do you think leaked to the Daily News after the Pirlo? Of course, Kreis is not going to publicly trash the Pirlo signing after it took place. Guy wants to keep his job. The leak makes it known how he felt about the issue. I really don't see how you can argue against it.

If you want to take everything a manager says at face value, I got a bridge to sell you.

This manager has shown that he will trash his players publicly. He's done it on multiple occasions. I guess he just doesn't have the testicular fortitude to publicly give his true thoughts on this issue -- he'll only do it through alleged leaks.

Edit: I'll add that I think Kreis generally has control of the first team roster but CFG can overrule/veto certain moves. Reyna seems to be the academy guy -- his experience post-retirement as a player was as director of U.S. youth development, right? So it makes sense that his primary duties would be setting up our academy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
You guys are creeping me out. Going to watch 13 year olds with banners and cheers or watch remotely? Have you been to a youth game? It isn't a public affair. These are little kids still. Their moms, dads and grandparents watch. There is a long way to go and lots of decision making to come for these new teens between the drive towards college or the choice for a professional career. Let these U14s learn on the pitch without a fan base. There's time enough for that in the future. I like that the Club has given themselves a little more leeway to look outside their affiliate clubs for talent. Most of the affiliates are pay to play and I have to think for most of us involved in these clubs our first choice for our kids is college, not soccer. Normal HS not IMG.

Reactions: northernburbs