NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

I believe we're following the Man City Academy style that everyone will play one age group above them. So our U14s are playing against U15s. Our U16s against U17s, etc.

This is definitely not the case. This only happened for the NYCFC teams this year because of the half-assed nature of the Academy. Rare to find more than a few players on any team that are playing up in the Development Academy and there will be fewer going forward now that they've created a standalone U15 division.

If we played all teams up a year we'd get our asses handed to us on a regular basis.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
Yeah, that makes this very confusing. And what team was promoted to the U-18/19 league? Last year's U-15/16 team? That's a healthy jump, everyone will be 16 or 17 and playing against 18 and 19 year olds, unless we grab a few more from our affiliates.

Also worth mentioning that this is for the 2017/18 season, which starts next fall. Not this spring.

They're going to be building a fair number of teams from scratch next year -- the U11/12, U13, U14 and U17/18 will essentially be all new. It's going to create a fair amount of havoc and a lot of teams are going to get raided.

They're going to be building a fair number of teams from scratch next year -- the U11/12, U13, U14 and U17/18 will essentially be all new. It's going to create a fair amount of havoc and a lot of teams are going to get raided.

What teams will be raised?

Finally a full academy! They're adding U19.
Do not underestimate the power of the forum.... some of these teams were never previously mentioned and they're being announced right after our forum-wide bitch session regarding untapped assets, along with the supposed daily reading of the FO/the interns daily PowerPoint briefing.

I thought USSDA only went up to U17/U18 is that just what we are calling that team I guess?

Reactions: Kjbert
That's going to be the precursor to a u-23/PDL/reserve team.
Hopefully they announce that shortly as well. We need one this season. Especially since they're stock piling young players some of these kids need minutes and they won't get them on our bench.

Hopefully they announce that shortly as well. We need one this season. Especially since they're stock piling young players some of these kids need minutes and they won't get them on our bench.
Probably a year away since the u-19 would need to graduate to it.

Raided, not raised - and I think he means we'll be plundering our affiliates to stock our squads.

there may be some issues with that....a few of the affiliates have teams in the the same age groups and if they will be raided massively then who is left for them to play?

Do not underestimate the power of the forum.... some of these teams were never previously mentioned and they're being announced right after our forum-wide bitch session regarding untapped assets, along with the supposed daily reading of the FO/the interns daily PowerPoint briefing.

i still dont think they will get a bunch of new 17-18 to for the oldest age group....they will probably let the oldest group go to that age group....getting asses handed to them....but will stay together for two full years.

i still dont think they will get a bunch of new 17-18 to for the oldest age group....they will probably let the oldest group go to that age group....getting asses handed to them....but will stay together for two full years.

Im sure they can let in a handful of older kids, just cherry pick the most promising ones, but not enough to fill out a whole team

The affiliate league is already falling apart. Beachside, Gottschee and Met Oval's U12 teams will be playing in a different league in the spring after expressing significant dissatisfaction with how the affiliate league was poorly run for the last year and a half.

Now that NYCFC will have a full Academy lineup, the affiliate league no longer serves much of a purpose, other than to sell tickets.

The affiliate league is already falling apart. Beachside, Gottschee and Met Oval's U12 teams will be playing in a different league in the spring after expressing significant dissatisfaction with how the affiliate league was poorly run for the last year and a half.

Now that NYCFC will have a full Academy lineup, the affiliate league no longer serves much of a purpose, other than to sell tickets.
What was wrong with it? And why only the U-12 and not the other age groups?

What was wrong with it? And why only the U-12 and not the other age groups?
It was very disorganized, with teams frequently not showing up with enough players to play or refs not showing up or last-minute scheduling changes. There were promises of video reviews and NYCFC coaches showing up to games that were never fulfilled.

I don't know about the other age groups or the other affiliate teams, but this is a blow for sure.

It was very disorganized, with teams frequently not showing up with enough players to play or refs not showing up or last-minute scheduling changes. There were promises of video reviews and NYCFC coaches showing up to games that were never fulfilled.

I don't know about the other age groups or the other affiliate teams, but this is a blow for sure.
A shame. One would think the affiliates are the groups that the team wouldn't want to put off.?.?

Obviously I can't comment on whether the affiliate league will continue because I'm simply not privy to that info, but it definitely still serves a purpose. U-12 is the lowest that USSDA goes, and indeed is likely to go in my impression, yet it's also the highest that the affiliate league extends to. Everything under u-12 is an untapped resource if the affiliate league is allowed to dissolve.

Obviously I can't comment on whether the affiliate league will continue because I'm simply not privy to that info, but it definitely still serves a purpose. U-12 is the lowest that USSDA goes, and indeed is likely to go in my impression, yet it's also the highest that the affiliate league extends to. Everything under u-12 is an untapped resource if the affiliate league is allowed to dissolve.

With or without an affiliate league they will still get the best talent in the area to tryouts.

Also, the Academy is adding a younger tier next year - this year's youngest Academy teams are 2004, next year's will be 2006 -- making the affiliate league even less important.