Nycfc Acquire Cdm Federico Bravo On Loan From Boca Juniors [FINALLY confirmed p13]

Everything needs to be viewed through the lens of the cap, of course, but this would be so disappointing to me. Mena played some really strong games at the end of last year. Though I've seen mentions of Bravo playing CB, my sense is he is a natural DM and we desperately need help there. I think Mena has meaningful upside, so it would be a shame to give up on him so quickly.

I agree, but in this scenario, he just lost the job to a Boca Juniors bench player who's primary position isn't even center back. If Mena can't even prove he's better than Bravo, Hernandez, and White in camp, that doesn't bode well for his potential, does it? He's not 21 with unlimited upside, he'll turn 27 in June.

Best case is Mena and Brillant play like they should and win the job, while Bravo comes in and backs up both CB spots and comes in off the bench for Pirlo to protect leads.

EDIT: I forgot about Ivanov in this discussion too. He might really be the one Mena is competing with.

I agree, but in this scenario, he just lost the job to a Boca Juniors bench player who's primary position isn't even center back. If Mena can't even prove he's better than Bravo, Hernandez, and White in camp, that doesn't bode well for his potential, does it? He's not 21 with unlimited upside, he'll turn 27 in June.

Best case is Mena and Brillant play like they should and win the job, while Bravo comes in and backs up both CB spots and comes in off the bench for Pirlo to protect leads.

EDIT: I forgot about Ivanov in this discussion too. He might really be the one Mena is competing with.

I disagree on Mena he is not very good, he has difficulty going to his right and constantly gets beat to that side, his speed is average at best and his passing from the back is awful. I think he can go , we would lose a big salary and open up an international spot.

Bravo's best position is as a defensive midfield and he would really help there.

The wild card is Ivan Ivanov if he has recovered from his knee injury he can be a great pick up, he was very highly regarded when he played for FC Basel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jock
With Wingert being waived, we still have our free cut available. I wonder if Mena's roster spot is at all in jeopardy. He was a Kreis signing, so PV has no loyalty to him. And he's expensive at $250k. If he doesn't win the starting job, I could see us valuing his international spot and that salary a lot higher than keeping him around as a backup.

If Bravo impresses at CB and White looks solid enough, a group of Bravo, Brillant, Hernandez, and White could be enough. (Still probably below average as a group, but sufficient.)
Mena is still absolutely in the plans of NYCFC for the coming year. That's coming from a source just a few days ago.

However.... they said the same thing about Wingert right before they cut him so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mena is still absolutely in the plans of NYCFC for the coming year. That's coming from a source just a few days ago.

However.... they said the same thing about Wingert right before they cut him so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maybe let go of mena to sign bravo, and then ivanov goes to wilmington to see how he does ...if hes great they will trade away or buy a international spot with allocation money or something?

maybe let go of mena to sign bravo, and then ivanov goes to wilmington to see how he does ...if hes great they will trade away or buy a international spot with allocation money or something?

I highly, highly doubt Ivanov is a candidate for Wilmington. He's either healthy and inked for a serious role with the first team, or he's not healthy and not offered a contract.

I think it's more likely that we fit our excess international players into our organization like this:

1. Bravo: Trade for international spot
2. Ivanov: Release Mena or trade for international spot, that's if he's healthy enough to sign in the first place
3. Ernest Agyiri, Malick Mbaye, and Moussa Sane: Sign and send to Wilmington

Reactions: Mujo Paljevic
not strong, i prefer mena ...but i see what you are saying. his injury sure doesnt help.
If it's a question of Mena or Hernandez, definitely keep the youth and intangible 1-v-1 skills of Mena and thank Hernandez for his services.

-edit- that doesn't solve the international spot, but the salary trade-off works out.

How do you get all of this inside info working at the NYC Dept. of Motor Vehicles ??? It's really baffling.....

I highly, highly doubt Ivanov is a candidate for Wilmington. He's either healthy and inked for a serious role with the first team, or he's not healthy and not offered a contract.

I think it's more likely that we fit our excess international players into our organization like this:

1. Bravo: Trade for international spot
2. Ivanov: Release Mena or trade for international spot, that's if he's healthy enough to sign in the first place
3. Ernest Agyiri, Malick Mbaye, and Moussa Sane: Sign and send to Wilmington
The trialists aren't likely going to be signed soon. They've been working out with the team for several months so it could happen down the line but I'm not expecting it this season.

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
Reactions: Kjbert
Google translates the last paragraph as:

"Meanwhile the wheel, who played just one game in the last local championship, is strengthening New York City FC , where he will team as partners, among others, Andrea Pirlo and Frank Lampard."

Is that a weird translation glitch or is that a real nickname for Bravo?
It's a bad translation. It means midfielder.

Maybe part of helping Wingert out means we can trade RSL some 2nd round picks for an Intl slot.

Google translates the last paragraph as:

"Meanwhile the wheel, who played just one game in the last local championship, is strengthening New York City FC , where he will team as partners, among others, Andrea Pirlo and Frank Lampard."

Is that a weird translation glitch or is that a real nickname for Bravo?
It's his nickname now!