NYCFC And Youth Soccer...

Andy

Registered
Mar 19, 2014
New York City FC to Provide Local Youth with World-Class Training and Resources, Appoints Paul Jeffries to Lead Club’s Community Outreach Efforts.
New York City FC announced today that eight youth soccer organizations throughout greater New York City will serve as New York City FC’s official affiliate clubs. The affiliations with New York City FC will provide a clear pathway for the local youth soccer community to reach the highest level of competition, providing each with access to the invaluable resources and expertise of Major League Soccer’s 20th team.

The eight affiliate clubs are:
• Blau-Weiss Gottschee
• Downtown United Soccer Club
• Manhattan Soccer Club
• Metropolitan Oval
• New York Soccer Club
• South Bronx United
• Staten Island United
• World Class FC

Full story; http://nycfc.com/News/Latest-News/2014/April/Affiliates

This is why getting MCFC as an owner is so damn important not just for MLS but for US Soccer. MCFC is willing to invest heavily not just in a club but in developing American players. Clearly MCFC is doing this with an eye to developing some US/NYC players into Premier League talent and both MCFC & the USA win in the process. Just so awesome.

Reactions: einwindir
City Football Group (CFG) have a vested interest in the leagues where they got a team for obvious reasons, the player developments might of course earn them some money but the real money would come if (I say if) MLS itself becomes a major player in global soccer.. Just imagine the value of the franchise during those circumstances

There´s no coincidence that MLS is suddenly becoming a billionaires playground, low risk right now and a possible jackpot in the future

Reactions: Vinjay
City Football Group (CFG) have a vested interest in the leagues where they got a team for obvious reasons, the player developments might of course earn them some money but the real money would come if (I say if) MLS itself becomes a major player in global soccer.. Just imagine the value of the franchise during those circumstances

There´s no coincidence that MLS is suddenly becoming a billionaires playground, low risk right now and a possible jackpot in the future

Exactly that's the ultimate reason why anyone saying this is just a "feeder club" is talking complete trash. Why on earth would anyone be so stupid to waste the opportunity that exists here? If anything the potential of MLS received its highest vindication ever when someone of Sheik Mansour's stature decided to get involved. Beckham has global presence of course but from an intellectual standpoint (even more than a financial standpoint) he's no Sheik Mansour. Most of the founding clubs might be at more of a financial disadvantage in next few years because most major investors will probably want to build their clubs from the ground up. Then as time goes on and the league slots fill up more and more takeovers will become likely. Just look at the influx of takeovers in the UK to varying degrees of success. I knew after Chelsea's takeover it was just the start of more to come.

Coming back to the original topic I must confess that it irks me that there was no suitable/willing organisation in Brooklyn of all places.. I mean, Manhattan, the Bronx, Westchester, Queens, Staten Island and even Rockland County for crying out loud, but no Brooklyn :mad:

Exciting, exciting stuff. I'd much rather create the next great star than to buy them.

I really believe that America's Michael Jordan of Soccer will come through NYCFC....

Exactly that's the ultimate reason why anyone saying this is just a "feeder club" is talking complete trash. Why on earth would anyone be so stupid to waste the opportunity that exists here? If anything the potential of MLS received its highest vindication ever when someone of Sheik Mansour's stature decided to get involved. Beckham has global presence of course but from an intellectual standpoint (even more than a financial standpoint) he's no Sheik Mansour. Most of the founding clubs might be at more of a financial disadvantage in next few years because most major investors will probably want to build their clubs from the ground up. Then as time goes on and the league slots fill up more and more takeovers will become likely. Just look at the influx of takeovers in the UK to varying degrees of success. I knew after Chelsea's takeover it was just the start of more to come.

Apart from the fact that both MLS and the more popular European leagues are competing for the same fans in north-America i.e MCFC might well lose sales of their own merchandise if MLS gets more popular.. Yeah, they would get it back eventually thru NYCFC merch but the EPL in general might lose out.

Apart from the fact that both MLS and the more popular European leagues are competing for the same fans in north-America i.e MCFC might well lose sales of their own merchandise if MLS gets more popular.. Yeah, they would get it back eventually thru NYCFC merch but the EPL in general might lose out.
That's just a game of "left pocket, right pocket" though...

Not sure where else to put this. But my buddy Aron L has a 4 year old boy in LB and wants to start having him play/learn in a structured environment. Where do you guys suggest he bring him? Thanks!

Reactions: sundance and Kjbert
Not sure where else to put this. But my buddy Aron L has a 4 year old boy in LB and wants to start having him play/learn in a structured environment. Where do you guys suggest he bring him? Thanks!
Just make sure he isn't paying too much. When I was around 12 the difference in what I was learning on Youtube and playing AYSO (AYSO is shit for learning to play, but it was fun for me.) wasn't that different. As long as the kid is constantly trying to improve himself technically it doesn't really matter until the kids begin learning tactics.

Reactions: adam

A 4 year old already knows he wants to be a left back. Starting them young. All I know is just get a ball and have them play with it in the house. Not kicking it. Learn ball control. Dribbling, etc.

A 4 year old already knows he wants to be a left back. Starting them young. All I know is just get a ball and have them play with it in the house. Not kicking it. Learn ball control. Dribbling, etc.
I thought adam adam meant Long Beach. Not sure if you're joking or not.

Reactions: adam
Coming back to the original topic I must confess that it irks me that there was no suitable/willing organisation in Brooklyn of all places.. I mean, Manhattan, the Bronx, Westchester, Queens, Staten Island and even Rockland County for crying out loud, but no Brooklyn :mad:

I don't know anything about these clubs, but it looks like this one at least plays games in Brooklyn:

upload_2018-1-26_6-39-17.png

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I wish I had more insight into how affiliate clubs and development academies function, but I do find it interesting that they decided to do this just weeks away from the USSF election. The topic of development academies / youth affiliates / etc. is one of the most talked about topic among just about all of the candidates' platforms. Some are looking to make sweeping changes, and others just make them more than what they are currently, but there could be a big shakeup down the road. Could be years, though.

Again, I know very little about all of this, but that's why I have you guys!

I wish I had more insight into how affiliate clubs and development academies function, but I do find it interesting that they decided to do this just weeks away from the USSF election. The topic of development academies / youth affiliates / etc. is one of the most talked about topic among just about all of the candidates' platforms. Some are looking to make sweeping changes, and others just make them more than what they are currently, but there could be a big shakeup down the road. Could be years, though.

Again, I know very little about all of this, but that's why I have you guys!
That first post is 4 years old. The affiliate program never really lived up to its hype as it was poorly run and became less and less enticing as the club rolled out younger academy teams.

There's really no such thing as structured play for a 4 year old, nor should there be. Every program at that age is basically 30 minutes of doing fun things that tangentially involve a ball.

I grew up in next door Oceanside and they have one of the better soccer histories on the island. Probably worth looking in to at 6 or 7, but Long Beach Soccer Club should suffice for a preschooler.

Last edited: