Official: Sean Johnson to NYCFC

They got at least $100k since it was both GAM and TAM and MLS works in intervals of $50K. That makes SJ effectively a $350k+ keeper for us. That's over-paying. It's also scary because Vieira either annoints him the starter off of video alone, or we have a white elephant backup goalkeeper. That's a hell of a gamble to take for such a high Cap hit.

The extra $100K we paid in GAM/TAM (assuming that's the right amount) only applies once, so saying he's a $350K keeper is pushing things a bit.

Ten years ago, when Rimando was 27 (same as Sean Johnson now) he lost his starting spot, played 2 games that year and was traded 3 times.
Cherry picking info???

For DC, Rimando played in every game in 2002 and in 25 games in 2003 until he missed the end of the season with an injury. In 2004, with Hudson gone, he lost his starting job to Troy Perkins, but regained it for the stretch run, backstopping DC to theMLS Cup. In 2005 he regained his everyday starter status, but was beaten out by Perkins again in 2006, playing only two games during the whole season.

On December 11, 2006, Rimando was traded along with Freddy Adu to Real Salt Lake.[3] He was then traded to New York Red Bulls on February 9,[4] only to be traded back to Real Salt Lake on February 23 following the sudden retirement of the latter team's first-choice keeper Scott Garlick.[5]

Rimando was RSL's first-choice keeper during the 2007 season. His team struggled constantly and never seriously contended for a playoff berth, but Rimando did a great job in the nets. He led MLS with 146 saves in 27 games, including heroic efforts against New England (13 saves in a 0-0 draw on June 2) andToronto FC (12 saves in a 0-0 draw on September 15). His hard work was rewarded at the end of the season when he was named Real Salt Lake's 2007 Most Valuable Player.

DC's new coach after Hudson never liked Rimando even though Rimando won the Cup for them despite efforts to bench him. He then was shipped out with the trade to RSL so there wouldn't be a controversy - RSL felt they could make more by trading him only to realize their intended starter pulled the plug on his own career, thus Rimando had to be traded back/reacquired.

Reactions: Kjbert
The extra $100K we paid in GAM/TAM (assuming that's the right amount) only applies once, so saying he's a $350K keeper is pushing things a bit.
No it is not pushing things. Tell me how we are able to use that $100K this year and then it's pushing things. He is a $350K+ GK this year.

No it is not pushing things. Tell me how we are able to use that $100K this year and then it's pushing things. He is a $350K+ GK this year.

This is an argument over how you prefer to amortize/depreciate allocation money. There is no real right answer, just stylistic preference. You prefer to use accelerated depreciation in this case and gator prefers straight line. There are arguements for and against either method.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
This is an argument over how you prefer to amortize/depreciate allocation money. There is no real right answer, just stylistic preference. You prefer to use accelerated depreciation in this case and gator prefers straight line. There are arguements for and against either method.
Except that it really is amortized the first year and not straight line. If we trade him after the first year, the costs are sunk.

Except that it really is amortized the first year and not straight line. If we trade him after the first year, the costs are sunk.

And if he stays for ten years, the costs are practically de minimis. The Club is not expecting him to stay one year, and they are not evaluating the cost on that basis.

Remember too that TAM is not limited to use in a single year. You can bring it forward or pull it back. I am pretty sure the same is true of GAM from player transfers.

And if he stays for ten years, the costs are practically de minimis. The Club is not expecting him to stay one year, and they are not evaluating the cost on that basis.

Remember too that TAM is not limited to use in a single year. You can bring it forward or pull it back. I am pretty sure the same is true of GAM from player transfers.

Actually, TAM expires. GAM does not.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

We're not talking about ten years. If he stays that long he will definitely be paid more than his current contract and to last that long he will have earned it. But he hasn't earned it yet based on past performances. And you have no idea at all how long the club is expecting him to stay nor how they're evaluating his cost - this is the same org that gave Saunders a raise and are now looking to cut him.

We're not talking about ten years. If he stays that long he will definitely be paid more than his current contract and to last that long he will have earned it. But he hasn't earned it yet based on past performances. And you have no idea at all how long the club is expecting him to stay nor how they're evaluating his cost - this is the same org that gave Saunders a raise and are now looking to cut him.

Succesful franchises don't play players for yesterday, they pay players for today and the hope of tomorrow.

I'm not up on the world market for keepers, but my impression is that a good keeper is a scarce asset. Teams with good keepers will never sell them cheap, so your options are to develop (or draft, in MLS) one (Philly -Blake) or wildly overpay (COL-Howard) (ATL-Guzan). I also think their skill is hard to quantify reliably (keepers with good stats fluctuate year to year, and even Saunders had some good stats at times)

I think, in MLS, you operate under the condition that you don't want to use an int'l spot on a keeper, since USA produces good ones and the position is fickle anyway. So your pool is limited, and out of American keepers, taking a chance on a guy on the worst team in the league, that has been regarded highly in the past, is an overall good risk.
Man, this is the rule all over the world. Don't care for ManU, but you almost just have to take Fergie's approach. Just keep buying the bastards until you find one you like. Or at least can tolerate.

Jesus Christ guys. This team needs to pick a less busy time at work for me to make these moves so I can keep some of you in check.

I'm #mobileposting on the LIRR atm, so I mean to use some quoting here but not putting forth that effort.

We went out and got a keeper. One that doesn't use an international spot and one that has demonstrated skills good enough to be called up to the USMNT alongside the likes of Howard, Guzan, and Rimando. The guy has skills. He may have struggled recently, but the skill is there.

So his "salary" this year is 350k and then 250k going forward. Yes, that 100k is money we could have spent elsewhere this year. But in a year where we are likely to not sign a 3rd DP until mid season, we have some money to spend. That is close to 250k in cap money available to spend the first half of the season.

Before I get into how much we want to rely on Lurch, it seems as though everyone here is in agreement that Saunders must go. At his performance level, at his salary, etc, he has to go. I agree. So then what do we want to do? Go into an MLS season with Lurch and Rawls who have started a combined 2 MLS (or 1st division) games ever? Maybe not, then who do we go out and get? Sure maybe Gleason, Kennedy, or MacMath are available. Now I know the save % stats don't back this up, but none of them are of the quality as Sean John and none of them provides the upside that he does either. The only one of those guys that I would get along with would be MacMath, and I honestly am not that impressed with him. He played behind an amazing CO back line and I believe I remember seeing some stat someone posted here midseason that adjusted save % for quality of shots or something and he was dreadful (sorry I'm not gonna go find it right now).

If we were to bring in anyone of quality, we are looking at spending at least 250k (in salary + acquisition) this year. So is Sean John worth the extra 100k? I think so.

Now we all saw Eirik start 2 games and let up 7 goals and think he's our savior. Now I know that isn't completely fair to him, but what has he actually shown us that says we can trust him for a whole season? At the most, I've seen some potential from him that if we had a decent veteran GK as a backup, we can take a risk with him in net. If he doesn't work out, we have someone we can trust. But we cannot afford that risk. And again, when you have the chance to get a good young keeper, take it.

And in regards to playing out of the back. Is Eirik actually good at it? IMO he really isn't. I mean, he's ok, but he just looked quite awesome at it as he was following up Slosh's play with his legs back there. I'm quite certain that a Lieutenant Dan would look amazing playing out of the back if he followed up Saunders.

End of the day, GK was a position we needed an upgrade at. One that we all recognized. Our GM went out and got one. A young one. That's been capped by the usmnt several times. I'm happy with it.

#mobilenovel

Risks need to be taken in order to achieve success. I for one am glad NYC is taking this gamble. Every decision made is technically a gamble...who knows how any of these players will pan out. It takes a lot of pieces to fall into place for a team to win the MLS cup. SJ is certainly a gamble, but one that I'm glad to see it play out for the next season and beyond.

Nobody who knows more about English Soccer answered a question I posed a few pages ago. SJ is a Jamaican dual citizen -- does that mean he potentially has a higher sell-on value if he succeeds at NYC than other US keepers because he is able to play in England when MLS rivals with just a USA passport can't?

A lot of discussion about value here and I don't believe I am the only one who doesn't know enough about international soccer to know the answer to this part of the equation. If SJ is able to slide easily into a Championship or Premiere side without being a USMNT goalie, then his $$ upside is that much greater than the other GK options out there for NYCFC and I like this move even more.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Risks need to be taken in order to achieve success. I for one am glad NYC is taking this gamble. Every decision made is technically a gamble...who knows how any of these players will pan out. It takes a lot of pieces to fall into place for a team to win the MLS cup. SJ is certainly a gamble, but one that I'm glad to see it play out for the next season and beyond.

Good post. There is certainly risk in this deal. But if he performs at a level that he once did, it's a good investment.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Got to believe that SJ a upgrade on Erik and Saunders, but to be honest their isn't a huge amount of quality keepers in the MLS (the worse position you want to be found out at)