Official: Sean Johnson to NYCFC

Several thoughts on the acquisition and $:

1. The general "MLS thinking" around keepers was that it was not an elite position - i.e. not one to invest a DP in, and the mentality was that you could get a pretty good keeper - enough to win it all - for a modest salary. Even Saunders won an MLS cup, right? But I see this changing as teams start to value more having a solid player at that position. So spending $250K on a keeper is not wacky territory, as long as the player lives up to that contract. It is very questionable if SJ will live up to a $250K salary. But $250K nowadays is solid starter $$. Not having $750K in cap and GAM tied up on someone not even playing (cough cough) will also allow you to pay more for SJ.

2. I'm not sure why people are so sold on Lurch after three MLS games. Yes, he distributed well and made several big saves against Columbus, but he was also downright awful in giving up 7 goals to Toronto. (Note: Lurch is by NO MEANS the reason that NYCFC lost and lost badly against Toronto but he was not good in net). It could be that because Saunders was so bad - cover your eyes bad - in possession that anything better than that looks great. And I will admit after watching Calamity bumble around with the ball, seeing Lurch command the ball against CLB was refreshing. But there must be a reason why, if he distributed so well, that Lurch wasn't starting before then.

3. SJ has not lived up to his potential and there is a reason why he lost the starting job in CHI. Yes, the back 4 were awful, but he's not coming over to the Colorado Rapids now - our back line was just as cover your eyes awful. So he's going to be tested a lot. That said, PV and Reyna saw the opportunity to get a more proven commodity (versus a guy they know can't play the way they want and a guy they have been looking at all year) and lets give them the time to coach him up. Change of scenery might help to get out of that dumpster fire in Chicago.

You guys are fuckin' crazy. HERE'S TO NEVER SEEING SLOSH IN NET FOR NYCFC AGAIN!! When is the parade???

giphy.gif

Telling that he was brought in to "compete for a starting spot"

Yes. It seems to me that many of you are very cheap with the club's $, which we have plenty of.

We are bringing in better athletes and having them compete for starting jobs. This is good. Stop moaning / pinching pennies.

Now go ahead and flame away with the actual letter of the MLS rules ... But really we're fine.

You do realize that your rooting for a NYC team right?

NYC is one of the financial capitals of the world, there is a high likelihood that some of the fans jobs may involve squeezing the highest possible marginal utility out of every last fraction of a cent. Seeing an organization that we, those kind of fans, care deeply about use their money in what could be a suboptimal manner might trigger a sense of dread/professional concern in us.

I love the team deeply, that's why I'll pour gallons of ink onto these forums with the kind of in depth analysis that I'm occasionally known to do. I know the club reads these forums, and if we can make a good statistical/mathematical point about resource allocation vs net soccer improvement someone who matters might actually read it.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich

NYC is one of the financial capitals of the world, there is a high likelihood that some of the fans jobs may involve squeezing the highest possible marginal utility out of every last fraction of a cent. Seeing an organization that we, those kind of fans, care deeply about use their money in what could be a suboptimal manner might trigger a sense of dread/professional concern in us.

I love the team deeply, that's why I'll pour gallons of ink onto these forums with the kind of in depth analysis that I'm occasionally known to do. I know the club reads these forums, and if we can make a good statistical/mathematical point about resource allocation vs net soccer improvement someone who matters might actually read it.
You have to have accurate data to make any analysis worthwhile. MLS and nycfc purposely do not give out accurate data.

Reactions: sbrylski

upload_2016-12-12_13-13-5.png

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Schwallacus
They are required to give out accurate player salary data exactly twice a year.

That data is a red herring though. It is not a plug-and-play for salary cap analysis, which I why I have given up trying to do deep dives into it.

The CBA lists a ton of different things that go into salary cap budget charge for each player, most of which are non-public. Plus, it grants MLS complete discretion to change a player's salary cap budget charge.

On top of all that, factor in the numerous and opaque GAM/TAM trades that happen all the time, and we have no idea how much money we have to spend, and only a general idea how much each player actually "costs."

and is the same rimando who will turn 38 next year.
So? My point was that Rimando has earned a $400K value, and even at 38 he still is a clutch GK. Sean Johnson hasn't done anything warranting a $350K valuation of contract + Acquisition cost.

Reactions: Kjbert
Is anyone else having difficulty seeing "SJ" and not automatically thinking "San Jose"?

He has a nickname if that helps, in Chicago he went by "The Milkman". It was always referenced in relation to promotions he did for Aldi. Not sure which came first the promos or the nickname.

So? My point was that Rimando has earned a $400K value, and even at 38 he still is a clutch GK. Sean Johnson hasn't done anything warranting a $350K valuation of contract + Acquisition cost.
Ten years ago, when Rimando was 27 (same as Sean Johnson now) he lost his starting spot, played 2 games that year and was traded 3 times.