Nycfc Coaching Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, why is this so hard and people being so f^&*ing dense?

Truth #1
Yes. CFG wants NYCFC to be successful. Very much so. They did not spend all this money to build a pure farm team, feeder team, development team, etc. NYCFC winning is a high priority for CFG.

Truth #2
There will be times when NYCFC's interests and those of MCFC are not perfectly congruent, and when that happens MCFC wins. See, Lampard Loan Extension (Dec 31, 2014).

Conclusion: CFG can be highly motivated to want NYCFC to succeed and to win and they will nevertheless -- on occasion -- take actions to undermine that goal.

But guess what, there are even more countervailing truths!!!
Truth #3
Despite Truth 2 and the above Conclusion, there will be benefits to CFG ownership and MCFC affiliation that may or may not outweigh the downsides.

Conclusion 2
Nobody has enough info to judge yet.

But if you think stating Truth 1 disproves Truth 2 or its conclusion, you don't logic well.
I may not logic well, but you won me over with your formatting :D

Regardless if it's Vieira or not I don't understand the "we need a coach that knows the MLS" argument.

I never really understood this either. People make remarks to MLS history and international coaches having trouble making it in MLS. The thing is, there's not as much great history to soccer here in the US in comparison to our international counterparts. I forget who but someone made a comment about reinventing the wheel. Soccer works everywhere else in the world. I have spent years watching international soccer from every continent. It simply works. Perhaps we need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just follow the lead with a blueprint that has proven success. In the regard, maybe the right international coach can come over and get the job done. I know we have different rules and structure in MLS, however in the end isn't it still 11 men on the pitch, with a coaching staff guiding them to victory or loss?

I don't want to be yet another team who wants to be like Europe while ignoring the realities of the local scene. If foreign coaches with no MLS experience can work, I don't want us to be the lab rat.
Well said. We're a big market team, we don't need to be taking that kind of a reach

How about a Cityzens auction for the right to sit in on the purported year-end season-in-review meeting between CFG and Kreis? Definitely juicier than the Lampard dirty cleats auction.

I thought you wanted Kreis to stay on? This would suggest we are going to have find someone else, wouldn't it? Or do you take it to mean that since PV doesn't want it that we'll stick with Kreis?
I'm taking it that if PV doesn't want it we're sticking with Kreis but it might not matter, seems like Kreis might be staying on his own merit.

Reactions: Kjbert
Vieira was an excellent player in his own way and he's done well with the City academy. I'm sure he would do better than Kreis. But this is a fairly big job, both in media and tactical complexity, and I just don't see how this is the next step up from a squad of teenage kids. I get that Barcelona bring managers through the ranks and the ex-Barca guys want to emulate that within CFG, but we're not talking about someone like Pep or Tito that had years of service with the team. PV has no connection to New York or the club.

I'd also be hesitant about bringing in a coach who's of the same generation as Lampard and Pirlo, particularly when he was a direct rival of Lampard(and briefly Pirlo), and an inferior player in many respects. Hard to see them taking orders from a near contemporary and lesser star. When these young managers work out they're usually managing very young teams or are exceptionally talented/charismatic. That's not the case here. Him returning to Arsenal makes a lot more sense.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
If you want a foreign coach go after Donadoni. He's played in MLS and it would piss off Red Bull fans.

Just don't go and sign a guy that has only coached teenagers because of his name. Those types of hires seem to rarely work out well. For every Guardiola there are about 10 Pippo Inzaghi's or Tim Sherwood's.

Vieira was an excellent player in his own way and he's done well with the City academy. I'm sure he would do better than Kreis. But this is a fairly big job, both in media and tactical complexity, and I just don't see how this is the next step up from a squad of teenage kids. I get that Barcelona bring managers through the ranks and the ex-Barca guys want to emulate that within CFG, but we're not talking about someone like Pep or Tito that had years of service with the team. PV has no connection to New York or the club.

I'd also be hesitant about bringing in a coach who's of the same generation as Lampard and Pirlo, particularly when he was a direct rival of Lampard(and briefly Pirlo), and an inferior player in many respects. Hard to see them taking orders from a near contemporary and lesser star. When these young managers work out they're usually managing very young teams or are exceptionally talented/charismatic. That's not the case here. Him returning to Arsenal makes a lot more sense.

An inferior player? Yes the fact he has a World Cup Winners medal makes him inferior!

He is a far better player than Frank and up there with Pirlo

Personally, I can't see him going to NYCFC, because I am sure he wants to manage in Europe.

Silvestre has a WC winner's medal from the same France team. So what? So does Philippe Christanval, who ended up being released by Fulham. Doesn't mean much of anything.

Lampard is all-time leading PL scorer from midfield. He's second in assists. He won the European Cup. Everyone in England who doesn't support Chelsea likes to get on his back, but he was an elite player and a far more decisive contributor for Chelsea than Vieira ever was for Arsenal.

*Just realized Silvestre and Christanval hadn't debuted for France yet, but the point still stands. Vincent Candela, Dugarry, that guy Diomede who was a disaster at Liverpool, all played for the 98 France team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and The Toe
Status
Not open for further replies.