Nycfc Filling Roles In The Sporting Department

I see your examples & I'll raise you: Mandating parity is really stagnation
and I will raise your stagnation to self financial strangulation. Because given the 2nd and third tier status of US soccer, if it does not grow to the next level, it means eventual death. this is the only window we have got to bring the MSL caliber to the next notch. and we have to do it fast, riding on momentum that won't be there forever. And the only way to do it fast is to attract insanely wealthy owners who are allowed to rain cash on their clubs. right now.

and I will raise your stagnation to self financial strangulation. Because given the 2nd and third tier status of US soccer, if it does not grow to the next level, it means eventual death. this is the only window we have got to bring the MSL caliber to the next notch. and we have to do it fast, riding on momentum that won't be there forever. And the only way to do it fast is to attract insanely wealthy owners who are allowed to rain cash on their clubs. right now.

is this what the PRO Rel people base their argument on ? that an open system "brings investment" to the lower clubs to get promoted to the first division

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
is this what the PRO Rel people base their argument on ? that an open system "brings investment" to the lower clubs to get promoted to the first division
not sure i got your underlying message as I am not familiar with pro/rel arguments. I am not necessarily a proponent or opponent of that camp as I think US is unique as there are other competing sports saturating the sports/entertainment market so we may not have room for a minor/secondary league for soccer here.
So i would decouple whatever I said from arguments for/against pro/rel...no intended linkage nor logical parallel there

Where they are wrong is that there is a mechanism for these teams to be offered first division status - invest in your club, build a stadium, build a culture - and apply for expansion. It's not as if the Cosmos couldn't have become an MLS club. I honestly think they DON'T want to be an MLS club. Look at what Minnesota United is doing.

not sure i got your underlying message as I am not familiar with pro/rel arguments. I am not necessarily a proponent or opponent of that camp as I think US is unique as there are other competing sports saturating the sports/entertainment market so we may not have room for a minor/secondary league for soccer here.
So i would decouple whatever I said from arguments for/against pro/rel...no intended linkage nor logical parallel there

no, no jab or anything at you....its that all over twitter the argument they have that they intensely go for is that if the league were open for promotion and relegation that " massive investors" will come in....which is something i dont fully agree with, there could be investment maybe to invest in say a NPSL team to bring it up but i dont think to the extent of millions like some are doing in MLS.

i do think the other competing sports have an edge as they are ingrained in american culture for many more decades and even for over a century. its not easy, it has to be gradual.

Where they are wrong is that there is a mechanism for these teams to be offered first division status - invest in your club, build a stadium, build a culture - and apply for expansion. It's not as if the Cosmos couldn't have become an MLS club. I honestly think they DON'T want to be an MLS club. Look at what Minnesota United is doing.

i feel this whole topic needs its own thread but too lazy to start one..lol..

still i keep reading that pro/rel will " help with the growth of players" ......so are these NPSL, NASL, and regional leagues have academies? Growth isint just having a few college players play in a summer league that goes from May-August

The pro/rel people have a good argument in that a team like Colorado or Philly just can't suck every year. If Colorado sucks every year and pays their players nothing - the only consequence is maybe the fans don't show up. They hopefully make a profit, collect merchandise and tv money and plan to do it all over next year.

If there was relegation, Colorado would have to invest in their team. Otherwise, the highlight of their season would be the visit of the Cosmos instead of this year when Villa, Kaka and Gerrard visited and they sold out the stadium. That's the argument.

The pro/rel people have a good argument in that a team like Colorado or Philly just can't suck every year. If Colorado sucks every year and pays their players nothing - the only consequence is maybe the fans don't show up. They hopefully make a profit, collect merchandise and tv money and plan to do it all over next year.

If there was relegation, Colorado would have to invest in their team. Otherwise, the highlight of their season would be the visit of the Cosmos instead of this year when Villa, Kaka and Gerrard visited and they sold out the stadium. That's the argument.
I'm in favor of pro/rel and these are exactly the reasons. If you have a team or three where the owners have given up and the team continually sucks that's just not good for the league, the sport, the fans, for anyone really. Pro/rel assures that teams both want to be in the top league and deserve to be there as well.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm in favor of pro/rel and these are exactly the reasons. If you have a team or three where the owners have given up and the team continually sucks that's just not good for the league, the sport, the fans, for anyone really. Pro/rel assures that teams both want to be in the top league and deserve to be there as well.

Except with a closed system like MLS has, it's difficult to make massive improvements from year to year.

Let's say Bill Gates wants to buy the Colorado Rapids in the offseason. He is willing to spend millions, but the structure of the league doesn't allow him to do so. That's why you can't have pro/rel right now.

This.

For the record, we would have just beat the cutoff this year. And that's another big reason for p/r. The bottom 5-8 teams still have something very big at stake, likely to the very last week of the season. No meaningless games at the end.

Except with a closed system like MLS has, it's difficult to make massive improvements from year to year.

Let's say Bill Gates wants to buy the Colorado Rapids in the offseason. He is willing to spend millions, but the structure of the league doesn't allow him to do so. That's why you can't have pro/rel right now.
Maybe slower than in an unlimited spending system, but still very much in evidence. It's how both expansion teams beat the "relegation" level this year. It's how we know LAFC won't be bottom of the league. It's how we know Colorado will still suck. P/r would give a new wealthy owner a path of 3-5 years to go from buy-in at the lower division to reaching a playoff spot to compete for MLS Cup.

I agree with everything you said here. And yes, the MLS system does make this much harder.

If Man City needs a defender they go out and get one.
If NYCFC needs a defender, well, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What people forget is that you don't have expansion around the world. That's unique to the US sports system.

Man City isn't spending $100 Million to start a franchise in the NPSL with the hope that they move up over 3-5 years. That's absurd.

I do think you will eventually see pro-rel here in the US. I think all the soccer people want it. But you're probably 20 years out from there. And I think it will take the form of a MLS 1 and MLS 2. I don't believe the NASL will be in business still.

What people forget is that you don't have expansion around the world. That's unique to the US sports system.

Man City isn't spending $100 Million to start a franchise in the NPSL with the hope that they move up over 3-5 years. That's absurd.

I do think you will eventually see pro-rel here in the US. I think all the soccer people want it. But you're probably 20 years out from there. And I think it will take the form of a MLS 1 and MLS 2. I don't believe the NASL will be in business still.
spot on. Expansion/creation of new clubs is what makes MLS unique. I'm pushing 50, pretty sure I'll be in diapers again when pro/rel is a reality. It's a hard sell in US sports mindset to get a major league investment that could turn into a minor league team.

Reactions: Kjbert
spot on. Expansion/creation of new clubs is what makes MLS unique. I'm pushing 50, pretty sure I'll be in diapers again when pro/rel is a reality. It's a hard sell in US sports mindset to get a major league investment that could turn into a minor league team.
Is that you Benjamin Button?

Reactions: Goodfella