Nycfc Podcast Film Breakdown: First Goal Against Montreal Impact & Vpv

Andres Emilio Soto

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 16, 2015
NYC
thenycfcnation.com
It's been a while since I've broke down a play and again sorry for that. Life happened and I had to deal with it. That's in the past and funny enough so is this play but it doesn't take away how beautiful it truly is. This breakdown could not have come at a better time when NYCFC just came off a loss in penalties to the New York Cosmos. Gosh how horrible was that? The atmosphere was amazing primarily due to NYCFC fans. We made yet another opponents home game the most important of the season and nearly sold out their stadium. I needed something positive to analyse. With that said let's move on to breaking down this beautiful play.

To set the scene, it's a tie score against Montreal as the 30 minute market just hits but NYCFC have had the majority of possession and have had quite a few build up plays on the left side of the field. It was the best start to the first half all season long.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-001.jpg

We begin the first slide with Wingert (Why did he even play against the cosmos? Birthday/ a local? Follow the thread on NYCFCForums.com So frustrating!) holding the ball and doing what he actually does well on occasion which is play a long ball, this time to McNamara. David Villa has a ton of open space in front of him and Patrick Mullins and Mehdi Ballouchy are near the top of the box.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-003.jpg

Ball is passed and is placed at a perfect spot for a running McNamara. Villa turns and runs to the open area.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-005.jpg

McNamara receives the ball and quickly controls it while lifting up his head to see who is making a run into the box. Both Mullins and Ballouchy are and Villa is making his way to the top of the box.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-006.jpg

Now, I know McNamara's intention was to pass the ball to Mullins but was his intention to do so through a defenders leg? He's the one rocking the mullet so I say yes.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-008.jpg

The ball goes through the defenders legs and reaches Mullins who is covered but quickly one touches it to Ballouchy.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-010.jpg

Ballouchy has been so successful in this area of the penalty box and I'm sure many fans were expecting a shot. At least I was. He controls the ball to his right foot and touches it once before magically finding a cutting Villa.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-011.jpg

I looked at the replay quite a few times and can't tell when he saw Villa cutting but either way what a beautiful touch on the ball.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-012.jpg

No defender was able to reach the ball as it was placed in the perfect area.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-013.jpg

Villa does his thing and doesn't waste a step and one times it in the goal.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-014.jpg

My one critic on the play is Villa's shot. It went in and that's all that really matters but he shot the ball directly at the Montreal goal keeper. It wasn't a ground shot and it did elevate a bit but it had the ability of being saved. This is my third all time favorite goal of season. Can you guess the other two? BTW: Look how horrible the pitch is starting to look.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-015.jpg

Either way believe it or not the breakdown does not end here. During these breakdowns you've seen some poor defensive plays from our boys in blue and, in recent weeks, some of their amazing opportunities and finishes. More importantly it's become a running gag here at how Villa points during each match.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-016.jpg

This is no gag. This play stands out from the rest because it showcases just how contagious Villa Pointing Virus (VPV) is.

Here's what I mean...

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-017.jpg

Villa scores the first goal of the game during the 30th min and it's well deserving a celebration. He slides down on his knees (which to me is always scary to see. I'm always expecting someone's knees to bust open) and blows a kiss to the crowd and points. Par for course right?

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-019.jpg

Mullins and RJ Allen join Villa to congratulate him but he semi acknowledges them and seems to be wanting to separate himself from their hugs so he can....point....again! Look at Davids right hand. No the other right, the arm which is not wrapped with the captain badge.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-020.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's to Ballouchy for his great pass and I'm pretty sure Ballouchy is NOT pointing back to Villa (for the sake of my research).

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-021.jpg

RJ Allen and Mullins are in direct physical contact with Villa. Not before long, Mullins stretches out his right arm while holding onto Villa and he begins to points!

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-montreal-impact-june-13-2015-022.jpg

Quickly after that RJ Allen, who also touched Villa, becomes infected with VPV and he too stretches out his arm and points.

Is our medical staff aware of the virus?

One of my favorite goals of the season. Great job with the breakdown. Villa scared me when he slide because he kinda just dug in and stopped instead of actually sliding.

Reactions: Andres Emilio Soto
One of my favorite goals of the season. Great job with the breakdown. Villa scared me when he slide because he kinda just dug in and stopped instead of actually sliding.

Yea it certainly is a top 5 for the team IMO. Each time I saw the reply and celebration I kept analyzing his knee. So scary!

That bicycle kick was sweet BxLio91 BxLio91 and was happy to see it live but not my favorite. McNamara's is second and David Villa's first goal for overall build up and scenario (1st game, packed stadium, cold day) is #1 so far.

How about yours?
Hard to argue with Villa goal against NE. But right up there for me is actually the second goal that game. Villa had a beautiful back and forth dribble in the box to free himself for an exceptional cross to Mullins for the tap in. At 2-0 the anxiety is off and the stands erupt in unadulterated celebration.

I'd also put the second goal against Chicago. Down a man for about an hour. Come back from 2-0 down. Another fantastic bit of magic from Villa to get the ball to Shelton who opens his account.

Both of these goals have the added drama of occurring in the final 5 minutes of regulation and in front of the SS goal.

Two of the best of the year.

Reactions: Andres Emilio Soto