NYCFC Season Discussion 2023: We Know What We Are, But Not What We May Be

Who Is Most To Blame For The Failure Of The 2023 Season?

• Nick Cushing

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • David Lee

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Brad Sims

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marty Edelman

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • CFG

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Coming out of Leagues Cup there were 10 games left in the season.
Without looking at anything, and don't try to count from memory, guess NYCFC's PPG was over the last 8 games of the season.
It surprised me to see this. My sense was that NYCFC kind of muddled through the end of the season. That PPG number is not off the charts but it's much better than I thought it was. For 10 games after Leagues Cup including those first 2 losses, NYCFC's PPG went up by 0.42 compared to the first 24 games. The PPG in the final 8 games was 0.875 higher than the first 26 games. I get that besides the roster the schedule was easier. I'm not making an argument about what this means. Just pointing out that the year ended much better than I realized compared to the first 70-80% of the season and maybe better than other folks realized.

Something else I just noticed. I've tended to blame the season failure on winning just 1 Away game. But NYCFC also fell apart at home in the middle third of the season.

First 5 home games 2.60 PPG
Middle 6 home games 0.50 PPG
Final 6 home games 2.33 PPG
Yes, that was after we lost 3-0 on the road to Supporters' Shield winners FC Cincinnati. We only played 2 non-Wildcard playoffs teams (three if you count Red Bulls) and went 1W 1D in those matches. We won 2-0 at Citi Field versus Orlando, that was the most difficult opponent in the remaining 8 matches.

Nick looks relaxed and happy.
Knows he's safe?
Mistakenly thinks he's safe?
Knows he's out and just relieved it's over?
Regardless I'm glad he's happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinJRogers

Knows he's safe?
Knows he's out and just happy it's over?

Most surprising thing here is that the team will be training for three weeks, even though the season is over. I've never heard of a team doing that -- I'm surprised the MLSPA is allowing it; seems like something a players' union in other US pro sports leagues would balk at.

All that said -- scheduling three weeks of training is not the type of thing a coach does if he thinks he's on the way out the door. My guess is that Nick believes he's coming back. I wish someone would have asked him that question last night.

Most surprising thing here is that the team will be training for three weeks, even though the season is over. I've never heard of a team doing that -- I'm surprised the MLSPA is allowing it; seems like something a players' union in other US pro sports leagues would balk at.

All that said -- scheduling three weeks of training is not the type of thing a coach does if he thinks he's on the way out the door. My guess is that Nick believes he's coming back. I wish someone would have asked him that question last night.
The way he discussed it suggests it is a fixed period that almost certainly is part of the CBA. Maybe it's new. But I would infer that teams that miss the playoffs get this 3 week training period. Contracts run until the end December 31 I believe. Players obviously have to be available potentially until the day of MLS Cup December 9. Three weeks from now takes us to the next FIFA international window. Part of the reason for this could be to give players whose season is over but have national team duty a way to train with their clubs.

I vaguely remember eliminated teams playing closed door friendlies in years past. In fact, I think the Revolution played one in '21 due to their long layoff before our playoff game.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Coming out of Leagues Cup there were 10 games left in the season.
Without looking at anything, and don't try to count from memory, guess NYCFC's PPG was over the last 8 games of the season.
It surprised me to see this. My sense was that NYCFC kind of muddled through the end of the season. That PPG number is not off the charts but it's much better than I thought it was. For 10 games after Leagues Cup including those first 2 losses, NYCFC's PPG went up by 0.42 compared to the first 24 games. The PPG in the final 8 games was 0.875 higher than the first 26 games. I get that besides the roster the schedule was easier. I'm not making an argument about what this means. Just pointing out that the year ended much better than I realized compared to the first 70-80% of the season and maybe better than other folks realized.

Something else I just noticed. I've tended to blame the season failure on winning just 1 Away game. But NYCFC also fell apart at home in the middle third of the season.

First 5 home games 2.60 PPG
Middle 6 home games 0.50 PPG
Final 6 home games 2.33 PPG
On an xG basis:

Before League's Cup: 24 games, 24.98 xGF (1.04/g), 24.72 xGA (1.03/g), +0.26 xGD (+0.01/g)

After League's Cup: 10 games, 15.20 xGF ((1.52/g), 11.10 xGA (1.11/g), +4.10 xGD (+0.41/g)

Also, when looking at this, I couldn't help share who had the worst xGD after League's Cup and then the gap to second. HOLY HELL

1698067072925.png

On an xG basis:

Before League's Cup: 24 games, 24.98 xGF (1.04/g), 24.72 xGA (1.03/g), +0.26 xGD (+0.01/g)

After League's Cup: 10 games, 15.20 xGF ((1.52/g), 11.10 xGA (1.11/g), +4.10 xGD (+0.41/g)

Also, when looking at this, I couldn't help share who had the worst xGD after League's Cup and then the gap to second. HOLY HELL

View attachment 13064
Toronto fell to pieces the second half and got worse after firing Bradley. Just 1 win and 0 draws in the final 14 under the interim.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

Knows he's safe?
Knows he's out and just relieved it's over?
He got a tough assignment this year. It's not easy to build a new, youth-oriented squad on the fly. Safe or not safe, I'm sure he's just glad the season is over. It was a real pressure cooker.

I almost forgot about the DP Missed games tracker. For the second consecutive year NYCFC did not have a DP player/slot which missed 10 or more regular season games. Martins missed 8 consecutive games in the middle of the season, but played in every game before and after that streak.
Martins Played 26 Missed 8 Minutes 2,185
Rodriguez Played 31 Missed 3 Minutes 2,579
Talles Played 30 Missed 4 Minutes 1.908

NYCFC started life by having at least 1 DP miss at least 10 games every year for 7 years. In 2020 the team managed to have 2 DPs miss 10+ games each despite only playing a 10 game season.
I have no idea how this compares to other teams, but if you set aside the teams that never have 3 DPs I would guess it is probably not more than an occasional thing.

I believe this serves as confirmation that they're not firing anyone off this season. Which maybe isn't the wrong decision, but is surprising.

Nick holds some blame for this season, but I don't think he deserved to be fired. This season was on the sporting director; and one bad season after 7 really good ones probably isn't reason enough to fire someone.

I thought they'd fire Cushing if they missed the playoffs, mainly because I think keeping him will lead to a lot of fan apathy and they had to give the fans something. But if they believe in their process, then they believe there will be a major increase in results next year.

I believe this serves as confirmation that they're not firing anyone off this season. Which maybe isn't the wrong decision, but is surprising.

Nick holds some blame for this season, but I don't think he deserved to be fired. This season was on the sporting director; and one bad season after 7 really good ones probably isn't reason enough to fire someone.

I thought they'd fire Cushing if they missed the playoffs, mainly because I think keeping him will lead to a lot of fan apathy and they had to give the fans something. But if they believe in their process, then they believe there will be a major increase in results next year.

Agreed that this reads like a statement that neither Lee nor Cushing will be fired.
I think they finished the review process Part 1 (should we fire Dave or Nick?), the answer was no, now on to review process Part 2.

is this the first time marty is mentioned in a statement? normally is just sims. lets see how much support and resources they get.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Um,
did you guys see the other drama going on which made me almost spit out my water just now?

For those not using twitter:
View attachment 13066

..to which he responded:
View attachment 13067

Frustrated World Cup GIF

as the kids say these days " he getting cooked"

• Haha
Reactions: Shwafta