NYCFC Sign Gary Mackay-Steven

I hope he is on TAM. Significant cap hit if he is not. And we need that space for a LB.

There's no basis to think he isn't. He is 28 and coming from less than stellar form in the Scottish league. Only Colorado would sign him as a DP.

Reactions: Kjbert
The club expects me to follow along with his accent on video they need to give me subtitles, preferably white text on an irregular light background or black text on an irregular dark background.
giphy.gif

Seriously though, he has a Teuchtar accent. Not the easiest to follow along with sometimes, but easier than some with the west-coast drawl.

So, uh, what do we think about this? I wouldn't necessarily say that attacking talent is where our roster has holes.

i still want a LB. but i mean with all the injuries and such and the massive amount of games coming in the next couple of months it doesn't hurt having options.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
So, uh, what do we think about this? I wouldn't necessarily say that attacking talent is where our roster has holes.
I'd give credit but I cannot remember who pointed out a few days ago that with Lewis traded and Medina relegated to USOC duty and garbage time, we suddenly are not deep in wingers. I agree it's not our position of greatest need, but he's not superfluous either.

I hope he is on TAM. Significant cap hit if he is not. And we need that space for a LB.
I've tried to figure out what wages he was on at Aberdeen and there isn't much out there. The only thing I found was "estimated wages" from the below website, and I'm not confident that it's incredibly accurate.

https://www.football-lifestyle.co.uk/216696/

But if we were to take it at its face value, 510k pounds per year converts to 650k USD per year. If you halve that, it would only be 325k for this year, so no TAM would be needed.

The release from NYCFC also didn't include any indication that TAM was used, which they have been doing in the recent past, so I don't think he's a TAM player, at least for this season.

I think Dome's made it clear enough times that he sees standout attacking players as being the real difference makers in this league, so I'm not surprised we're continuing to invest there. If he is a pure depth signing then at least he should be fun to watch when he does get on.

Part of me wonders if we've just switched out one occasionally electric winger with attitude problems for another, but time will tell. Hopefully this isn't the extent of our transfer business with the Lewis money. And I'm still going to lose my shit the first time he tries a rainbow flick against some poor fullback.

I've tried to figure out what wages he was on at Aberdeen and there isn't much out there. The only thing I found was "estimated wages" from the below website, and I'm not confident that it's incredibly accurate.

https://www.football-lifestyle.co.uk/216696/

But if we were to take it at its face value, 510k pounds per year converts to 650k USD per year. If you halve that, it would only be 325k for this year, so no TAM would be needed.

The release from NYCFC also didn't include any indication that TAM was used, which they have been doing in the recent past, so I don't think he's a TAM player, at least for this season.

Yeah, based on very limited knowledge, I would be VERY surprised if he was making 10k a week at Aberdeen.

When United sign a "big" name and his salary gets bandied about, about a third of that is viewed as an awful lot of money.

A few years back, all the Celtic wages were released and he was on 8k per week there. So, as an estimate, I'd say GMS was doing well if he was on 3-4k a week.

Say they bumped that to 5k a week, that works out to be............ about $318k.

Clearly the interview and photos were taken in Manchester, NYCFC don't have a female British individual in the media team. The only have the 2018 anthem jacket there?

https://www.nycfc.com/post/2019/06/24/gary-mackay-steven-first-interview?autoplay=true
not only that but Gary says "here at the Etihad" and they keep referring to "playing over there" referring to MLS, which if they were in the USA would be "here". Aside from that is the fact that he probably doesn't yet have his Visa. :p

I have no problem with the interview happening in Manchester, so long as we announce it first lol

Reactions: Kjbert and Jock
Yeah, based on very limited knowledge, I would be VERY surprised if he was making 10k a week at Aberdeen.

When United sign a "big" name and his salary gets bandied about, about a third of that is viewed as an awful lot of money.

A few years back, all the Celtic wages were released and he was on 8k per week there. So, as an estimate, I'd say GMS was doing well if he was on 3-4k a week.

Say they bumped that to 5k a week, that works out to be............ about $318k.
Thanks, that’s really helpful.

I also wasn’t sure how those weekly wages things got calculated. Wasn’t sure if they were for 52 weeks or a certain number of weeks for the season (i.e., NFL players salaries are paid as 17 gameweek checks, bonuses are different)

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

I also wasn’t sure how those weekly wages things got calculated. Wasn’t sure if they were for 52 weeks or a certain number of weeks for the season (i.e., NFL players salaries are paid as 17 gameweek checks, bonuses are different)

Everything in the UK is calculated weekly over time from salary to your rent. It’s a damn headache for a American living over there, I can tell you that.

Check out this Europa League performance from... 7 years ago? (@4:31)
[in one of those annoyingly edited techno videos]

Come for the absurd GMS juggling, stay for the Johnny Russell cameos

i'm not crying, you're crying

I remember being blown away by this game and he does so much dazzling stuff, but pretty soon players caught on and I'm sure there's enough material out there for a "GMS gets kicked in two" highlight reel. Now he has Alex Ring to protect him.

Happy to have him. Rangers forum I lurk on general reaction was while they wouldn't be excited to have him sign for Rangers their happy to have him off a rival in Aberdeen.