NYCFC travel to Mexico to face Liga MX side, Club Necaxa on October 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a friendly, I think we can do whatever we want. Probably are contractual obligations to field a competitive side, but I hope they don't include Villa and Pirlo.

I'm not sure if this is the case or not. You can certainly field trialists in friendlies but usually those trialists will be free agents. I'm aware of trialists playing friendlies while still on the books of another club (not talking in the US, here) but only when they're pretty much on amateur contracts playing for a move to a professional team, and I think amateur papers are far less restrictive. I think to play Wilmington players, who are not amateurs, we would essentially have to officially loan them in, and is the loan window open in the US right now?

All of this is a moot point, however, since I'm sure they wouldn't be going through with the match if they didn't have the squad, even if it meant paying a cancellation fee. I'm sure they reckon they have the players, regardless of whether it actually ends up backfiring on us of not.

And of all places, somewhere that requires at least two flights to get to (if not some extended bus ride from a larger airport) to play in a stadium with an elevation of 6200ft.

Cool.

Edit: Hey intern- how many Cityzens points do we get for going to this one??

they technically have an "international" airport but it serves mostly flights to west coast/ southern US cities like houston, LA, Dallas, maybe charter can make it directly there.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
I'm ok with this as long as Villa, Pirlo and Iraola aren't involved. No worse a trip than going to LA. Leave the older guys at home

I'm ok with this as long as Villa, Pirlo and Iraola aren't involved. No worse a trip than going to LA. Leave the older guys at home

i assume contract stipulates some minutes of them on the field....or else friendlies like this wont happen ( same with the PR friendly, or the alleged ecuador & brazil club team friendly that never occurred only rumored). They want the famous players there.

i assume contract stipulates some minutes of them on the field....or else friendlies like this wont happen ( same with the PR friendly, or the alleged ecuador & brazil club team friendly that never occurred only rumored). They want the famous players there.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe we reached out to them for a game. You're assuming that we're the party that is famous here. Maybe we begged for a game

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe we reached out to them for a game. You're assuming that we're the party that is famous here. Maybe we begged for a game
I don't see why we would beg at best the 3rd biggest club in Mexico for the right to travel down there in the middle of the season to play at their stadium. We may have put out an inquiry to a large swath of clubs to play on that day and they came to us with the best offer.

I don't see why we would beg at best the 3rd biggest club in Mexico for the right to travel down there in the middle of the season to play at their stadium. We may have put out an inquiry to a large swath of clubs to play on that day and they came to us with the best offer.

lol i highly doubt necaxa was begged to give us a friendly, (they are not a super popular team,at least outside of mexico city) when we could of just taken the rest like in previous FIFA dates ( unless we had a MLS game to play). if we played America or Chivas, then MAYBE id believe it a bit.

and it may be that necaxa did give the best offer ( what ever it may be) i think the other options rumored were Emelec to inaugurate their remodeled stadium and the other was corinthians i think from brazil.

MLS and USL are busy. You're not going to play an NASL team. Next best option is to travel to Mexico. They were probably available.

MLS and USL are busy. You're not going to play an NASL team. Next best option is to travel to Mexico. They were probably available.

they are available but the next best option was to take the weekend off, like the majority of the league

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
Leave Saunders at home too. Let Lurch finally get a run out.

So what are the chances Necaxa have a player we want next year? Many times away friendlies are set up as a payback (or pay forward) for soon-to-be transferred players since the host gets the gate receipts.

So what are the chances Necaxa have a player we want next year? Many times away friendlies are set up as a payback (or pay forward) for soon-to-be transferred players since the host gets the gate receipts.

meh only Puch ( chilean winger seems good enough but already 30) maybe beckeles honduran defender. unless you want espindola former DC united guy.

however, the comments of that tweet mentioned a couple fans wanting mendoza in necaxa

I keep thinking of this Bugs Bunny episode and laughing.

13227001_1.jpg

Leave him home. Shit no. Leave him there.

they are available but the next best option was to take the weekend off, like the majority of the league

Opinions differ on the matter. Many clubs around the world would consider two full weeks with no games to be about the kind of point at which your players start becoming non-match-fit. It's about the point at which managers get jumpy about whether their players have been away from competitive games too long. It's impractical to arrange them during international breaks in many countries but I'm fairly sure I've seen a few teams do this in the past just to make sure that their players stay in form when they have a fortnight's break.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
Opinions differ on the matter. Many clubs around the world would consider two full weeks with no games to be about the kind of point at which your players start becoming non-match-fit. It's about the point at which managers get jumpy about whether their players have been away from competitive games too long. It's impractical to arrange them during international breaks in many countries but I'm fairly sure I've seen a few teams do this in the past just to make sure that their players stay in form when they have a fortnight's break.

they do it ( many liga mx do it in fact) its just that i didnt think this was the right time since we are a bit thin in depth i thought, possible injury to mendoza, no lampard, no chanot, still trying to figure out the RB position, so it felt like this travel was not needed. plus we still want one of the top two spots to have a better chance for playoffs. so we dont want any more possible injuries going to the home stretch

however, on the flip side PV can experiment something here and maybe find someone that can help fill the RB void or how to better work the midfield with lampard out.

I get the injury/rest concerns. But as a done deal, am I the only one who's excited we get another game to watch in October?

Yes should be interesting to see how they do against a liga mx team, even if it's a friendly. Necaxa are bottom half of the table but still should be interesting if no injuries happen

however, on the flip side PV can experiment something here and maybe find someone that can help fill the RB void or how to better work the midfield with lampard out.
Like RJ Allen and Mix?

Cancel the flight to Mexico

Reactions: Ulrich
Status
Not open for further replies.