NYCFC travel to Mexico to face Liga MX side, Club Necaxa on October 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what NYCFCs motivation for this is. Looking for more visibility in Mexico? Looking to add Mexican fans here in NYC? Just wanted a match to stay fresh over the break?

I wonder what NYCFCs motivation for this is. Looking for more visibility in Mexico? Looking to add Mexican fans here in NYC? Just wanted a match to stay fresh over the break?

i think they wanted to cash in on an appearance with the three stars. like last year with PR game. There were other rumored teams so i guess necaxa was the closest/best offer?

Reactions: gbservis
I think they want to stay fresh. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy

Reactions: The Toe

I wasn't speculating that it's a conspiracy, all three possible motivations I listed are completely reasonable reasons to play a game.

Reactions: Ulrich

i would tend to agree but why go international? they could of had a game vs a USL team in Purchase training facility.

its fine to cash in just felt like now was not the time, all the best is hope no injuries and thats it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbservis and Ulrich
Late in the season, you start worrying more about rest than about rust. So I would have guessed that a week off would be welcome.

Anyway, as Ulrich Ulrich and engine46 have pointed out, the problem is not the match but the plane flights, probably two in each direction. That's a lot of trouble to go through for a friendly. If the team wanted a match to keep the players fit, they could have set up a home friendly against Wilmington, against the Brooklyn Italians, or against a college team.

Late in the season, you start worrying more about rest than about rust. So I would have guessed that a week off would be welcome.

Anyway, as Ulrich Ulrich and engine46 have pointed out, the problem is not the match but the plane flights, probably two in each direction. That's a lot of trouble to go through for a friendly. If the team wanted a match to keep the players fit, they could have set up a home friendly against Wilmington, against the Brooklyn Italians, or against a college team.
I wonder if we are going after Puch this offseason. He was an energizer bunny during the Copa, and while 30, he's not too old to be an impact on the field. His transfermarkt value is 800k euro which isn't crazy and could be offset by this game's ticket sales.

i would tend to agree but why go international? they could of had a game vs a USL team in Purchase training facility.

its fine to cash in just felt like now was not the time, all the best is hope no injuries and thats it.

USL has playoffs that week from what I can tell. Doesn't mean there wouldn't be teams available, but you may not know who exactly would be available.

USL has playoffs that week from what I can tell. Doesn't mean there wouldn't be teams available, but you may not know who exactly would be available.

if its to stay fresh it doenst matter who it is....bring one of the II teams if need be. but i digress the match is happening and all i hope is no injuries and no tired legs

if its to stay fresh it doenst matter who it is....bring one of the II teams if need be. but i digress the match is happening and all i hope is no injuries and no tired legs

The II teams are in the playoffs (NJRB II, TFC II, etc.)

The II teams are in the playoffs (NJRB II, TFC II, etc.)

not according to this, but even then FC monteal, Bethlehem steel would suffice.

Playoff_Bracket_NEW_2.jpg

I think this is all pretty dumb, even if we use our bench players. Like others have said though, at least we have another game to watch in October.

On a side note, why don't we/didn't we have more friendlies after the season ends? That's the real time I could use more games to watch, and hopefully they're against another club.

Given that Coach V himself said he thought the players were tired, I find this rather mystifying. Maybe they are stopping in Cancun for a few days on the trip down.

I see that there are still 8 open days between the friendly and our next match.

Status
Not open for further replies.