Nycfc V Dc Postgame

lego-awesome.png

Sucks that Facey is going to miss the first Cowlumbus game. Guess we see Hernandez/Mena for the first time.
Didn't we see them both during the 2-3 Montreal game, just a little while ago? As much as I'm sure we'd all like to forget it.

I'm a little confused by some of the delusional, irrational logic of the KreisOut crowd that I've seen in this thread after wading through eight pages of posts. So, I've decided to add some delusional, irrational logic of my own.

There were quite a few complaints about Kreis subbing out Mix for Velaquez. So, how come immediately after that substitution, we saw Pirlo pass the ball to Villa who scores the go-ahead goal? And eight minutes later, Poku scores a goal. WOW! That was a fabulous substitution by Kreis. What a genius!!

Of course, I realize that's just delusional and irrational.
However, I thought I'd point that out.

LionNYC's Thoughts on Today's Match (as he re-watches the game on tape):
- 28K+ at the stadium? It felt empty at the early parts then people seemed to file in. It wasn't the loudest the stadium ever was with only two tiers, but it was exciting.
- I miss Ian Joy in the booth on YES. His voice is soothing and the voices over the broadcast today were early stages of the US Open Cup level.
- POKU!!! That's all that needs to be said about Poku. When NYCFC gets a new stadium, he's getting a statue outside.
- I had to watch the replay of the Pirlo ball to Villa. Fucking Brilliant. That's what the DP bucks are for.
- David Villa keep your god damn jersey on. You didn't score the winning goal of the World Cup in the 90+ minute. Yellow cards accumulate.
- Loved the crowd worshipping Poku at the end of the match. Besides the 60' Rush Hour Rally, I've never seen the supporters so coordinated in showing they're not worthy.
- The field looked really poor today, as a lot of players were slipping and falling on both ends. I think they watered it too much with the temperature so nice.
- I was wearing my Pirlo Party shirt the first half. I changed to my new long sleeve authentic primary Mix custom with the faces on the back (the name and numbers aren't aligned properly) and we scored 3 in the second half. I found a new lucky charm. Wearing all the way to the playoffs.
- When the match was over and Bill Hamid (who I will admit is one of the top three keepers in the league) was walking down the tunnel I said to him, "Three goals man, what was that?" He replied without looking at me, "First Place!" LOL!
- And finally the Stupid Comment of the Day: I said to McNamara close up to him, "You should be rookie of the year, you know, if you weren't injured and all." He said, "Thank you, that means a lot." I'm such an idiot and he knew it too.
can you please post a picture of your away jersey? i want to see the size of the number printed. i feel like in mine they printed kid size numbers.

True story:

When we got home from YS my wife and I engaged in some, let's say, post game of our own. About a minute in she stops and says, "Did you just say Poku?"

I immediately said, "No. Of course not."

Now, I'm pretty sure I didn't say Poku. But on reflection, I'm not positive I didn't.

What a great night. Got my nephew on the jumbotron. Lost my voice. First Yankee Stadium pumpkin beer of the season.

This season's finish is going to be insane. The last two games of the season, @ Orlando, home vs. NE, are going to probably decide the playoffs. Lucky for us, Kaka is off with the Brazilian National Team in September, and will miss a few games.

I thought Allen played really, really well. He's a pretty imposing defender -- strong, fast, can run forever -- but still needs to work on his technical side. That run to the top of the 18 was really well done, and he had some great play with Mix and Pirlo on the right side in the first half. Very impressed.

Iraola also had a pretty good game after coming on for RJ. Played some nice crosses, pushed well. No defensive lapses.

Facey and Hernandez in the two CB positions from here-on out. If we lose Facey next year, Mena has can have his spot then, but not before.

Couldn't believe the crowd. I was fully expecting ~22-24k, but seeing the stadium fill up by 7:30 deserved a standing ovation on its own.

Two final thoughts:

We need to play better on the road. Our goals scored at home compared to away is astonishingly bad. With the majority of our games the rest of the season away, I hope we can remedy that, and quickly.

Our next DP needs to be a ridiculous athlete. Speed can really, really kill in MLS and it's one of the few things the team has missed consistently this year. We saw benefits of it when Shelton was healthy, and we see it

Just rewatched bits and pieces. Apologies if some of these points were covered. I read the whole thread but might have forgotten:
  • Villa had an absolute beauty of a long pass to Poku on our first goal, and that came directly off of Pirlo winning possession by going to ground and intercepting a DC pass.
  • Pirlo's pass to Villa on the next goal was special, but I was more impressed at how the Captain pushed his way through 2 bigger players to get to it. In fact, watching live with no replays that impressed me so much I actually overlooked the pass and was confused at what everyone was marveling about here until I rewatched.
  • Was so glad when Poku scored. He was in on so many chances that didn't payoff (although he did have the assist with TMac). Some failed because Hamid, some were bad luck, and on a couple, frankly, he was a bit hesitant it seemed, including on the chance just prior to his goal.

Just loved loved loved being at this game.

can you please post a picture of your away jersey? i want to see the size of the number printed. i feel like in mine they printed kid size numbers.
Is Ian Joy done for good on YES or is this just a temporary thing with Meola? Meola sucks, and he shouldn't be doing NYCFC games. A known big time redbulls fan should not be doing NYCFC games.

I could at least respect Rolfe's opinion if we were only buying expensive players and not developing talent. But, didn't his team just get destroyed by a 23-year-old of whom nobody had heard anything when the season started? We also started RJ Allen (25), Shea Facey (20), Mix (24), McNamara (24), and Angelino (19). So, 60% of our outfield players are 25 or younger, yet we aren't building anything.

And that doesn't include other key players like Calle (24), Velasquez (24), Mullins (23), and Shelton (22).

I could at least respect Rolfe's opinion if we were only buying expensive players and not developing talent. But, didn't his team just get destroyed by a 23-year-old of whom nobody had heard anything when the season started? We also started RJ Allen (25), Shea Facey (20), Mix (24), McNamara (24), and Angelino (19). So, 60% of our outfield players are 25 or younger, yet we aren't building anything.

And that doesn't include other key players like Calle (24), Velasquez (24), Mullins (23), and Shelton (22).
Kudos for proper prepositional phrasing. You see it so rarely these days.