Nycfc V Dc Postgame

So Jacobson has a 5.56 on the MOTM voting. Who in their right mind gave him over a 4? He did ABSOLUTELY nothing. He has done nothing all year. He looks so scared on the ball. He is invisible on defense. Have you ever watched beckerman play? You see him constantly hounding the ball at the top of the box. Jermaine jones for the nats? He is all over the place on defense. I think AJ has the worst positioning of anyone I have ever seen playing a CDM role. My head hurts so bad everytime I see a suggestion to bench Mix Diskerud for Lampard, while keeping Jacobson in the lineup.

The rest of the team avoids passing to him like the plague. They see him open, realize its number 4 and just pull it back.

I'm really starting to wonder if Kreis even instructs AJ to play as a CDM. Honestly, after 24 regular season matches I have no idea what role he's supposed to be providing.

Doubt it - there were tickets still on sale at 6pm at least. And this means that for every game there's maybe ~1000 people buying tickets and not showing up!
I can't speak to the first point, but when there are 18,000 season tickets there will always -- except maybe for the biggest games -- be a noticeable bit of empty seats. The STHs won't attend, and not every seat will sell on the secondary market.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm really starting to wonder if Kreis even instructs AJ to play as a CDM. Honestly, after 24 regular season matches I have no idea what role he's supposed to be providing.
I wanted to bring that up last night but decided I had to stay positive but after 24 games and consistently seeing our "CDM" (AJ) not keep his defensive shape and just running up to damn near CAM and getting caught in no man's land, I got to wonder if Kreis even watches the games. How the fuck has he not drilled into AJ that he needs to not drift upward so much and that if there's players from the opposing team wide open in the box, he has no excuse to ball watch 10 yards behind the play. People on here have been calling that out a good 15 games ago. You mean to tell me no one from Kreis to the assistant coaches noticed and brought it up?

Behind the scenes coaching session between Kreis and his assistants.

Kreis: OK guys we are going to break down the game now.
Staff: Here is the tape, as you can see, Villa and Poku...
Kreis: Villa and Poku?! What the...? No, I meant we are going to break down our win against the Galaxy in 2012.
Staff: Oh yeah, Ned was so great in that game.
Kreis: And Wingy had a sweet pass.
Staff: Good times.
Kreis: Good times. I hate Mix and Poku

Reading through the comments in this thread re: Mix and I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills. He was very negative in possession, frequently dribbling back or sideways (at one point he started dribbling sideways directly at Poku)... honestly seemed like one of our weakest players on the pitch last night. What am I missing?

Thoughts on the atmosphere at the game:

- It was pretty lame how they didn't remove the netting behind home plate for this game. The area behind home plate isn't stuffed with fans, but for those who paid for the suites and stuff over there I belt they felt shafted. Yes we're in the middle of the baseball season but the net should be removed for all NYCFC games.

- City Beats is now behind the home plate. The traveling DC support (about 150-200) were chanting something at City Beats earlier in the game (like 'do your job' or something) and near the end City Beats were chanting something back. It was funny to watch.

- Speaking of City Beats, the dozen or so of them made more noise than all of the supporters sections combined, at least from where I was sitting behind the first base goal. I could hear the supporters chants better this time (seemed to be less Hey Babys, more generic 'NYC'-style chants), but once City Beats started playing they completely drowned out the supporters. Obviously it would sound different on the other side of the stadium. But I guess for as long as the team plays in Yankee Stadium, the chants from the supporters just aren't going to carry over to the other side of the field well enough. I know there are people in the supporters section that are trying, but I kinda forgot they were even there for long stretches of the game, and standing around singing nothing doesn't help either.

- Attendance was pretty good for a weeknight game. However, announcing a 'sellout' on the jumbotron felt pretty cheap, especially since the entire upper deck was empty.

Game thoughts:

- Poku was a bit hesitant on the ball at times and that probably cost him a goal or two, but one of his best characteristics was that he likes to push the team forward by making runs directly up the center of the field. A lot of times you'll see a player get a ball in open space and you'll be begging for him to shoot or attack the goal, and the player instead will freeze and look left or right to pass. Poku doesn't do as much of that.

- Poku earned his praise last night but I wouldn't call him a star yet. He has had a few games where he has made a big difference, but he has also had a lot of games where he hasn't done much. Just because a guy is on a little hot streak doesn't make him a breakout player or future star. When Jack McInerney was bagging goals left and right for the Union two years ago, everyone thought he was legit and would be a national team figure. But now look what happened to him. I'm not saying the same will happen for Poku but it's too early to tell about his future.

- NYCFC's main plan of attack seems to be hoofing the ball up to David Villa, who has become frequently offsides as of late. That strategy can net you a lot of goals, but eventually it's going to catch up to you when teams mark the forwards better and you have no passing game. NYCFC last night reminded me of Montreal in 2013. Villa was playing the exact same way asMarco Di Vaio did when he almost won the golden boot. But once teams figure it out it's over.

After the Orlando Game, Poku said that Pirlo told him to run at the defenders rather than away. You saw that a lot tonight...

Reading through the comments in this thread re: Mix and I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills. He was very negative in possession, frequently dribbling back or sideways (at one point he started dribbling sideways directly at Poku)... honestly seemed like one of our weakest players on the pitch last night. What am I missing?

EDIT - I was foolishly wrong.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the atmosphere at the game:

- It was pretty lame how they didn't remove the netting behind home plate for this game. The area behind home plate isn't stuffed with fans, but for those who paid for the suites and stuff over there I belt they felt shafted. Yes we're in the middle of the baseball season but the net should be removed for all NYCFC games.

- City Beats is now behind the home plate. The traveling DC support (about 150-200) were chanting something at City Beats earlier in the game (like 'do your job' or something) and near the end City Beats were chanting something back. It was funny to watch.

- Speaking of City Beats, the dozen or so of them made more noise than all of the supporters sections combined, at least from where I was sitting behind the first base goal. I could hear the supporters chants better this time (seemed to be less Hey Babys, more generic 'NYC'-style chants), but once City Beats started playing they completely drowned out the supporters. Obviously it would sound different on the other side of the stadium. But I guess for as long as the team plays in Yankee Stadium, the chants from the supporters just aren't going to carry over to the other side of the field well enough. I know there are people in the supporters section that are trying, but I kinda forgot they were even there for long stretches of the game, and standing around singing nothing doesn't help either.

- Attendance was pretty good for a weeknight game. However, announcing a 'sellout' on the jumbotron felt pretty cheap, especially since the entire upper deck was empty.

Game thoughts:

- Poku was a bit hesitant on the ball at times and that probably cost him a goal or two, but one of his best characteristics was that he likes to push the team forward by making runs directly up the center of the field. A lot of times you'll see a player get a ball in open space and you'll be begging for him to shoot or attack the goal, and the player instead will freeze and look left or right to pass. Poku doesn't do as much of that.

- Poku earned his praise last night but I wouldn't call him a star yet. He has had a few games where he has made a big difference, but he has also had a lot of games where he hasn't done much. Just because a guy is on a little hot streak doesn't make him a breakout player or future star. When Jack McInerney was bagging goals left and right for the Union two years ago, everyone thought he was legit and would be a national team figure. But now look what happened to him. I'm not saying the same will happen for Poku but it's too early to tell about his future.

- NYCFC's main plan of attack seems to be hoofing the ball up to David Villa, who has become frequently offsides as of late. That strategy can net you a lot of goals, but eventually it's going to catch up to you when teams mark the forwards better and you have no passing game. NYCFC last night reminded me of Montreal in 2013. Villa was playing the exact same way asMarco Di Vaio did when he almost won the golden boot. But once teams figure it out it's over.
They announce a sellout becuse normal games are capped and the upper deck isn't open

EAT A FAT ONE ROLFE.
Don't write checks your feet can't cash.
Seriously, who is he kidding? Is there a problem with having an exciting team that gets fans, sells tickets and increases revenue? Am I missing something here?! That's the most bizarre statement I've heard in quite awhile. Trying to buy the title I could see as a criticism...but his statement is ridiculous.

Seriously, who is he kidding? Is there a problem with having an exciting team that gets fans, sells tickets and increases revenue? Am I missing something here?! That's the most bizarre statement I've heard in quite awhile. Trying to buy the title I could see as a criticism...but his statement is ridiculous.
every team in every sport in every league tries to buy titles. That argument died a long time ago. It could have some validity back in the 40's, 50's 60's 70's etc...when sports were not considered a big business like today and you only had one team or two buying players like the Yankees or Lakers. When haters were trying to hate on these teams, all they could come up with is this.....You are so freaking good, I hate you!!!!! You guys buy your championships....sigh..

every team in every sport in every league tries to buy titles. That argument died a long time ago. It could have some validity back in the 40's, 50's 60's 70's etc...when sports were not considered a big business like today and you only had one team or two buying players like the Yankees or Lakers. When haters were trying to hate on these teams, all they could come up with is this.....You are so freaking good, I hate you!!!!! You guys buy your championships....sigh..
To say nothing of the fact that criticizing teams for trying to "buy titles" (i.e. investing in the team) in a league as heavily salary capped and regulated as MLS is silly. Such leagues, more than any other, diminish the impact of endless capital.