Nycfc V Dc Postgame

I am hungover. And possibly still a little drunk. But I feel great.
Last night you responded to the same post -- favorably -- multiple times, each less coherent than the ones before. Then in another post you mentioned witches.
Happy Midas might be more disturbing than raging bitter Midas.

Last night you responded to the same post -- favorably -- multiple times, each less coherent than the ones before. Then in another post you mentioned witches.
Happy Midas might be more disturbing than raging bitter Midas.
No explanation, except I got to go with a friend and not my wife. So, beer.

Is Ian Joy done for good on YES or is this just a temporary thing with Meola? Meola sucks, and he shouldn't be doing NYCFC games. A known big time redbulls fan should not be doing NYCFC games.

I agree. Ian is so much better than Meola. I know Fox Sports just signed him away from beIN. They signed a deal with Bundesliga and he's doing the broadcasts. I thought he was doing both but fox sports is in LA.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
So Jacobson has a 5.56 on the MOTM voting. Who in their right mind gave him over a 4? He did ABSOLUTELY nothing. He has done nothing all year. He looks so scared on the ball. He is invisible on defense. Have you ever watched beckerman play? You see him constantly hounding the ball at the top of the box. Jermaine jones for the nats? He is all over the place on defense. I think AJ has the worst positioning of anyone I have ever seen playing a CDM role. My head hurts so bad everytime I see a suggestion to bench Mix Diskerud for Lampard, while keeping Jacobson in the lineup.

The rest of the team avoids passing to him like the plague. They see him open, realize its number 4 and just pull it back.

On a separate note, DCU is the type of team we match up very well against. A slow team that doesn't pressure us like Orlando. Montreal and NJ kill us because we have no speed and we turn the ball over incessantly. Columbus is not a good match up for us. But we really need to win this game.

So Jacobson has a 5.56 on the MOTM voting. Who in their right mind gave him over a 4? He did ABSOLUTELY nothing. He has done nothing all year. He looks so scared on the ball. He is invisible on defense. Have you ever watched beckerman play? You see him constantly hounding the ball at the top of the box. Jermaine jones for the nats? He is all over the place on defense. I think AJ has the worst positioning of anyone I have ever seen playing a CDM role. My head hurts so bad everytime I see a suggestion to bench Mix Diskerud for Lampard, while keeping Jacobson in the lineup.

The rest of the team avoids passing to him like the plague. They see him open, realize its number 4 and just pull it back.
Yeah I am starting to agree here. He just isn't doing anything for us. His passing just looks lazy and has zero touch. He had one run and my first thought was holy fuck he lives.

As most of the key points have been made repeatedly, I will just throw out some random stream-of-consciousness thoughts.
Was it Mardi Gras yesterday, because it sure felt like it?
The excitement of seeing Poku’s name in the starting lineup far exceeded any disappointment of not seeing Lampard’s.
I was happy to see Iraola not starting, and, in fact, think he may be better suited as a late-game replacement for energy out of the back if needed either for offense or to run down the clock.
I got to the team store at 5:40, and there already was a long line for customization. I didn’t mind waiting because it was just another exclamation point on the degree of excitement about this team.
I sat with a friend who is a big sports fan but never had been to a soccer game. He was blown away by the experience. It really is an incredible, one-of-a-kind atmosphere, especially for a victory.
You could just feel that these guys would do anything to win this one. When we were down 1-0, I told my friend I had no doubt that we were going to win, and I meant it.
At the end of the game, I saw a young girl come over to the tunnel with a big sign that said “Thanks for the tix Mix”, and when he walked back, he saw her and gave her the biggest wave and smile. He seems like such a great, sweet dude, and the small things like this make me a bigger fan of him and our boys.
I was excited to wake up this morning to show my 3 year old his pictures in the six and zero (yes, I now have the only #60 jersey out there) on my customized jersey even though the pictures are so small you can barely see them. I brought the jersey over to him this morning, and he immediately ran off into his room, and I had no idea why. He came back with a big toy magnifying glass which was very helpful, and he was very excited to see himself.

I know this is kinda old but I think it is fascinating to watch this MLS Insider on Jason Kreis at this point in season. Not sure if most of you have seen this piece done on him but its interesting to note what he has dealt with. I think ever since he took this position, it has been a real learning experience for him, something very new, to start a team from the ground up, and to take that team and be successful ASAP against well established teams in MLS where the likes of Henry, Cahill, etc have stated many times, it is one of the toughest leagues to win.

The dude had no players, nothing a year from our first game in Orlando, and on top of that he has pressure from Man City folks to play a certain way. Has he made mistakes, of course he has, but my whole point is that I think the guy deserves benefit of doubt especially in his first or second year. If you do not want to afford him that luxury, then that is your right but I think any sensible soccer fan would understand the situation he is in, granted he signed up for it, but I think patience is key with this team. I believe you get a glimpse of Angelino as well in this video for a brief second.

Thoughts on the atmosphere at the game:

- It was pretty lame how they didn't remove the netting behind home plate for this game. The area behind home plate isn't stuffed with fans, but for those who paid for the suites and stuff over there I belt they felt shafted. Yes we're in the middle of the baseball season but the net should be removed for all NYCFC games.

- City Beats is now behind the home plate. The traveling DC support (about 150-200) were chanting something at City Beats earlier in the game (like 'do your job' or something) and near the end City Beats were chanting something back. It was funny to watch.

- Speaking of City Beats, the dozen or so of them made more noise than all of the supporters sections combined, at least from where I was sitting behind the first base goal. I could hear the supporters chants better this time (seemed to be less Hey Babys, more generic 'NYC'-style chants), but once City Beats started playing they completely drowned out the supporters. Obviously it would sound different on the other side of the stadium. But I guess for as long as the team plays in Yankee Stadium, the chants from the supporters just aren't going to carry over to the other side of the field well enough. I know there are people in the supporters section that are trying, but I kinda forgot they were even there for long stretches of the game, and standing around singing nothing doesn't help either.

- Attendance was pretty good for a weeknight game. However, announcing a 'sellout' on the jumbotron felt pretty cheap, especially since the entire upper deck was empty.

Game thoughts:

- Poku was a bit hesitant on the ball at times and that probably cost him a goal or two, but one of his best characteristics was that he likes to push the team forward by making runs directly up the center of the field. A lot of times you'll see a player get a ball in open space and you'll be begging for him to shoot or attack the goal, and the player instead will freeze and look left or right to pass. Poku doesn't do as much of that.

- Poku earned his praise last night but I wouldn't call him a star yet. He has had a few games where he has made a big difference, but he has also had a lot of games where he hasn't done much. Just because a guy is on a little hot streak doesn't make him a breakout player or future star. When Jack McInerney was bagging goals left and right for the Union two years ago, everyone thought he was legit and would be a national team figure. But now look what happened to him. I'm not saying the same will happen for Poku but it's too early to tell about his future.

- NYCFC's main plan of attack seems to be hoofing the ball up to David Villa, who has become frequently offsides as of late. That strategy can net you a lot of goals, but eventually it's going to catch up to you when teams mark the forwards better and you have no passing game. NYCFC last night reminded me of Montreal in 2013. Villa was playing the exact same way asMarco Di Vaio did when he almost won the golden boot. But once teams figure it out it's over.

True story:

When we got home from YS my wife and I engaged in some, let's say, post game of our own. About a minute in she stops and says, "Did you just say Poku?"

I immediately said, "No. Of course not."

Now, I'm pretty sure I didn't say Poku. But on reflection, I'm not positive I didn't.
Soccer is the new baseball.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Thoughts on the atmosphere at the game:

- It was pretty lame how they didn't remove the netting behind home plate for this game. The area behind home plate isn't stuffed with fans, but for those who paid for the suites and stuff over there I belt they felt shafted. Yes we're in the middle of the baseball season but the net should be removed for all NYCFC games.

- City Beats is now behind the home plate. The traveling DC support (about 150-200) were chanting something at City Beats earlier in the game (like 'do your job' or something) and near the end City Beats were chanting something back. It was funny to watch.

- Speaking of City Beats, the dozen or so of them made more noise than all of the supporters sections combined, at least from where I was sitting behind the first base goal. I could hear the supporters chants better this time (seemed to be less Hey Babys, more generic 'NYC'-style chants), but once City Beats started playing they completely drowned out the supporters. Obviously it would sound different on the other side of the stadium. But I guess for as long as the team plays in Yankee Stadium, the chants from the supporters just aren't going to carry over to the other side of the field well enough. I know there are people in the supporters section that are trying, but I kinda forgot they were even there for long stretches of the game, and standing around singing nothing doesn't help either.

- Attendance was pretty good for a weeknight game. However, announcing a 'sellout' on the jumbotron felt pretty cheap, especially since the entire upper deck was empty.

Game thoughts:

- Poku was a bit hesitant on the ball at times and that probably cost him a goal or two, but one of his best characteristics was that he likes to push the team forward by making runs directly up the center of the field. A lot of times you'll see a player get a ball in open space and you'll be begging for him to shoot or attack the goal, and the player instead will freeze and look left or right to pass. Poku doesn't do as much of that.

- Poku earned his praise last night but I wouldn't call him a star yet. He has had a few games where he has made a big difference, but he has also had a lot of games where he hasn't done much. Just because a guy is on a little hot streak doesn't make him a breakout player or future star. When Jack McInerney was bagging goals left and right for the Union two years ago, everyone thought he was legit and would be a national team figure. But now look what happened to him. I'm not saying the same will happen for Poku but it's too early to tell about his future.

- NYCFC's main plan of attack seems to be hoofing the ball up to David Villa, who has become frequently offsides as of late. That strategy can net you a lot of goals, but eventually it's going to catch up to you when teams mark the forwards better and you have no passing game. NYCFC last night reminded me of Montreal in 2013. Villa was playing the exact same way asMarco Di Vaio did when he almost won the golden boot. But once teams figure it out it's over.
Talking about City Beats and the supporters my season tickets are on the first base line and I would like to see something of a back and forth between City Beats and the supporters. Like a combined chant or call out to the supporters. roxfontaine Get on this.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but what started our first goal ultimately scored by McNamara was a sweeping tackle/pass by Pirlo to Angelino in the back. It's a really cool part of the play if you watch it back.

Game thoughts:

That's where his size and strength are a big plus. He can make that run and not get bumped off the ball in the way that mere mortals often are.

In some ways, we have to take what they give us. They were trying to neutralize our preferred style and Pirlo's strength by clogging the passing lanes. That left long passes open, and we exploited that.