Nycfc V Disney Motm & Postgame

Saunders - Bad decision maker. Bad distributor. But good shot stopper. He is what he is at this point. Put it this way - he's kept us in more games than he's played us out of. Could we upgrade this spot? Yes. But certainly a guy that can keep you in a game.

Wingert - hurt his hamstring. I don't expect to see him much more this year. Back up LB and back up LCB.

Mena - The skill, distribution and SPEED is there. But he got abused on three goals. All three goals were because of him. I rate him as a 3.5 today. He was the worst player on the field for us. That being said, he also had some really nice moments on the ball and some solid decision making and distribution. Hopefully it's just a weird CB thing when you need to get used to whom you are paired with.

Facey - Played kind of eh today. Rated him as a 5.5.

Angelino - Played well getting up the field and I thought he played really well defensively. Game changed for him once Pirlo joined the party. Rated him as a 7.5.

Iraola - I agree in the comments stating he has been dissapointing. He's been mediocre defensively but solid in possession. Rated him as a 6.

Poku - thought he played mediocre in the first half. Looked tired in the second half but once Pirlo came on, something ignited. I will rate him a 7, mostly based off of his possession and second half play, but he was below average defensively. Interesting placement with him tactically.

McNamara - Great work rate, poor defensively. I rated him as a 6.

Ballouchy - I like Ballouchy. Good work rate defensively, but that was about it. Rated him as a 5.5.

Jacobsen - Again, I like Jacobsen. Played very well defensively and made smart, strong runs up the field. When Pirlo came on, he played in front of Pirlo. he and Pirlo will need to figure out how to play with each other (more like AJ will need to figure out how to play with Pirlo). I rated him as a 7.

Calle - Probably his best game in a blue kit. Thought he was strong on the ball, with good touch and good decision making. Got involved defensively to give Angelino defensive cover. I rated him as a 7.5. He made smart runs and knew where he needed to be on the field.

Villa - Another solid game from our Captain. The first goal in particular was a scorer's goal. Great turn and finish. I rated him as an 8 for his workrate, defensive cover and finishing. Just a different level. I'm hoping he plays sparingly on Wednesday evening.

Mix - Game changed when he came on as well. Meet your new RM I guess. I rated him as an 8 in limited minutes. He just "gets" Angelino and Pirlo offensively. Just a different player surrounded by class.

Pirlo - The entire team changed their gameplan when he came on. I rated him only as a 7 because he was poor defensively, but strong otherwise. Surprising workrate (offensively). Played very deep as a 6. Team played a 4-1-3-1-1 when Pirlo came on. I think we will continue to struggle defensively unless we play 4-2-3-1 but who cares if we can outscore our opponents.
Good ratings. Except for Villa, Calle and Prilo. You rated Calle over Pirlo. Are you trying to undermine yourself? Calle was not very good for me. He wasn't Grabavoy bad, so he likely won't get to start again soon. But he wasn't very good.

Balllouchy was as bad as he was at the beginning of the year. Go watch minute 17. I made a not in my phone it was so bad. Angelino was through, except ballouchy had the ball. He's just not first division quality. It's not his fault. It's Kreis.

Reactions: Gavin23
What a joy to watch today. The addition of il Maestro was just as we have envisioned and hoped.

Did anyone have deja vu when Kaka was given a free kick just outside the box in extra time when we were up 4-3?

Give the defense time to gel. Mena just arrived in America, as so did Iraola and Angelino. They need to get comfortable.

This is just not true. Villa was garbage the first half. There is no way he should be MOTM over Pirlo. Pirlo changed the team. Villa has never done anything other than whine and occasionally poke one through. He's been less than amazing. I have personally watched him miss at least 5 one on ones. Right in front of my season ticket location. It's been pretty bad, honestly. Up until now, we had no place for a luxe attacker.

I think that's changed with the addition of Pirlo. If we could dish Lampard and get a real 3rd dp, we'd be scary as hell.

I disagree that Villa does nothing but whine, but he certainly is not a leader on the field.
Pirlo totally changed the flow of the team in the second half. Every one played better. We actually looked good.
He positioned players by pointing and even pointed to where he wanted Saunders to send the ball
Real game changer. This is how we should be beating the shittier teams. Also all now only 2 teams in the east have scored more goals. I feel really good today

Villa has 12 goals, third most in the league. His first today was world class. How you can say he "has never done anything other than whine and occasionally poke one through" is beyond me.
I'm neg crediting for missing one on ones. But only half. Otherwise, I'd be more disappointed. He's hit more one on one shots right at the keeper than I ever imagined possible from a guy as good as him.

And I just don't see him as a captain. Entirely different argument, but just saying.

I disagree that Villa does nothing but whine, but he certainly is not a leader on the field.
Pirlo totally changed the flow of the team in the second half. Every one played better. We actually looked good.
He positioned players by pointing and even pointed to where he wanted Saunders to send the ball
Real game changer. This is how we should be beating the shittier teams. Also all now only 2 teams in the east have scored more goals. I feel really good today
This is my point. Vila is not a captain. Pirlo, by God, that man is a captain. Fifty times over.captains bark orders. Villa barks objections over his perceived wasted chances. Meanwhile, as I said, I've personally watched him shit the bed on at least 5 one on ones right in front of my season tickets.

Yet he still acts as though he's flawless.

You see Pirlo take that yellow after he gave it away? Name one goddamned time Villa did that. He doesn't. He's a luxe attacker. He's not a captain. But he is a hell of a lot more of one than Lampard, just by showing up.

Again, Pirlo is a god. He's already the captain of this team regardless of who has the armband. He changed the way the entire team plays. We're a real team with him.

Ive been saying that Villa isn't captain material for a while now. Each time I did, I got chewed out by the ultra fan boys lol.

I really hope Grabavoy finds a comfortable seat on the bench for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Pirlo was definitely MOTM, I knew he was good but seeing him play today, just wow, no words.

Our defense really needs to get it together though, hopefully they will as the back line gets more used to each other.

Well, if what we saw today is an indication, from here on Pirlo will be handling much of the actual captaining regardless of who wears the armband.
Damn you. Writing this while I'm writing my opus in the same fact.

We are quite obviously Pirlo's team now. And I actually think, regardless of how people defend Villas here, Villa himself is relieved. Again, he's a luxe player, not a leader.

Last edited:
It was really nice to see Pirlo take the set pieces and corner. It frees up Villa to be available to strike. Makes a these situations harder to defend against.

Not only are we adding Pirlo, but he is replacing a weaker player. Lampard, when he finally plays on Saturday, will do the same. These are synergistic upgrades.

You do realize we basically agree, right? I may be a bit more heavy handed in my criticism, but we are making the same point.

This team has been without a leader. Kreis could've helped that by making Mix captain, but he is a sackless mouthpiece.

Mix likely could have grown into the role. Now, we have a man who can lead the team regardless of armband. It's beautiful. And it's in spite of Kreis. Not because of him.

Kreis is still struggling. We won today because he didn't have a role.

What a great game! My heart was pounding the whole game!!!

First, the defense really needs to gel , Mena could've played better on some of the goals allowed, but again, like you guys said, he only been with the team for a week. Hopefully our trio of CBs (Hernandez, Facey & Mena) could work well together in the second half of the season. Someone mentioned that Jacobson pushed up the field a little too much, which I agreed 100%! We have two fullbacks that are capable of move forward to provide width in the final third, there's no way, NO WAY! for Jacobson to be going forward, he should slide down to form a 3 men Centerback line.

The difference between a mediocre first half, and amazing second half is PIRLOOO!!! Our season until now, nobody in the midfield have the ability to thread the needle, breaking down the opponent's midfield, or providing pinpoint passes. Once Pirlo came in, everyone was playing way better. Specially POKU!!! Now Kreis should understand the true meaning of ... "No POKU No Party" + "No PIRLO No Party"!!!! With Pirlo's accuracy and Poku's beast mode strength, plus a hustle Big Mac, Mix and Lampard, we could certainly deploy a 4-5-1 with Villa the only attacker.

Villa hustled the whole game, such great captain that lead by example! And he's scoring touch is second to none!!!

The last goal that saw Villa, Mix and Poku leading the fast break was one amazing scene to watch!!!

Reactions: Kjbert
Giving this match a full write up because it deserves it. Hope everyone who reads it appreciates my contributions. I'll begin first with the pre-match.
- Kaka is a first class player. When he came out before practice he signed and took photos with all the kids by my section. I shook his hand and wished him a good game today because he deserves it.
- Spoke with Adrian Heath before the match. I told him, "You can't be here you're suspended." He checked out the field conditions and then left. He just gives off the impression of being a jackass.
- Keeping on the Orlando track, Cyle Larin is good and he can be great. Our defense gave him two or maybe all three of his goals, but he did finish and he finished well. It's going to be good to see him through the years in MLS.
- Final thoughts on Orlando, their fans are maybe the worst I've seen in league on road games. Yes they had numbers but I clearly saw one just throw a beer on fans on the lower tier after we scored. They were doing the "DX" junk cross motion all the time and audibly crushing. I get the puto chant, but on one occasion they did "You're an asshole," which caused me to actually to turn around and say, "Wow, not cool."

- Spoke with Katie Witham from FOX. I asked her for her predictions on the score. She told me doesn't have that information but said we looked forward to some good soccer, maybe a Pirlo goal. Not my favorite sideliner reporter.
- Spoke with Alan Kelly (head ref) before the match. His usually never happens but we went over to talk to friends in the stands. Asked him how many spot kicks today, he replied "none." He didn't lie.

Now onto the good, the bad, and the NYCFC...
- David Villa: We pay him the big bucks and he produces. That first goal, marvelous. That first touch should be on display at the Met. The shot just squeezed in, unbelievable. I still think there are times when we don't have better scoring chances because he demands the ball, but that's what you get with a world class scorer on the team. That being said, I wouldn't want any other team to have him.
- Poku: POKU!!! Pretty sure this was his first 90' match and he was consistent throughout. Didn't falter in the 70' and bulldozed through the field. I wore my long sleeved black Poku jersey today. It was hot but it was worth it. After the match, I asked to swap jerseys with him, he told me next time. I believe him. I also told him he needs to score more. His 4th assist was not allowed because his pass to Villa was offside. He should have shot that ball in my opinion. Same play with Mix a few minutes later and he got his assist.
- Pirlo: I was a little disappointed with the "WE WANT PIRLO" chants since the beginning of the match. We're more than just one player. But when he came on, wow. I'll be the first to say he can't play defense. But he opened up the field so much. He did try to be a little too cool with the ball which nearly led to Orlando's 4th (I think that was the crossbar one). Needs to be paired with Jacobson just so we don't let up more goals. Also, like Iraola got a yellow card in his MLS debut.
- Mena: There are two sides to our defense and CBs. The first is counterattack, through ball, etc. defense. We are terrible when it comes to this. I think that 70% of our allowed goals and been through this. However, I found that Mena won possession on all 1 v 1 possession orientated offense. When there was an Orlando player near the corner flag trying to get by Mena it never worked. He always won the ball. It was great to see. Definitely will get better on other parts of the game when he has more training with the club.
- Calle: He scored? Damn, he scored.
- Mix: 2 away from the hat trick. A pleasure to see on the field. He's an animal, he's everywhere. If only he could play like this for the USMNT.
- Saunders: I think he could have done better saving the first Orlando goal, but he did come up with one huge save. Getting better on goal kicks.
- Angelino: A bit too short for headers on defense but damn this dude has skill. I told him after the match, please stay one more year. I really hope he does.
- Forgot about McNamara: TMAC! That's all that needs to be said.

Kreis thoughts...
- I think the 4-2-3-1 worked well for us. If fully healthy, I can see Pirlo starting versus Montreal with Ballouchy if need be coming off the bench. Mix too will be starting though Calle had a nice performance today.
- This team is getting more fun to watch. 16 total goals scored in the past two home matches, that's some MLS record.
- We're going on a winning streak. We're winning the next four games (MTL, COL, RBNY, DC).

Poku and Villa both on MLS Team of the Week.

Last edited:
Totally agree about 99%. If I could get into your scotch you would be thirsty in the morning

Ive been saying that Villa isn't captain material for a while now. Each time I did, I got chewed out by the ultra fan boys lol.

I really hope Grabavoy finds a comfortable seat on the bench for the remainder of the season.

Maybe not but he is the reason we are not 0-20

Poku for man of the match! He was fantastic when he got on the ball. His 3 assists were legendary! #PokuPower

7329316_orig.jpg